• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E I hate Paizo!

Aeson

I am the mysterious professor.
yeah.

Granted, I'm a 4e fan. I like the CS, and I'm happy that 3e Cavemen, er, fans have been thrown enough of a bone that they can generally leave 4e alone. Still, if Paizo could bloody well get into 4e, we'd have some amazing modules to DM my players through.
The other products are also excellent, though I kinda wish the flipmat was easier to fold and store.

What also makes me happy is that the regular subscriptions allow for fiction by Elaine Cunningham, who is one of my favourite authors.
And the art is generally fantastic (though I find the ginormous elf ears a bit goofy; so sue me!).

However, I'm genuinely annoyed that they don't do 4e. I understand, they're only human (and they like 3e), but I'm a selfish, selfish man and I wants more 4e modules... and can't have them.
Luke, Paizo is your father. Join the darkside. Together Paizo can rule the galaxy.

Gotta agree, Paizo is really bad. I just wanted to start a 3.5 game and didn't have the Core books, so I figured, give Pathfinder a shot. Managed to resist the urge to get the other Paizo stuff. Now I am in the middle of converting my campaign to Golarion.
I mean, come on, I was reading through my new Gazeteer, and while I was reading, I was already online, ordering the next fix...

Sylrae

First Post
yeah.

Granted, I'm a 4e fan. I like the CS, and I'm happy that 3e Cavemen, er, fans have been thrown enough of a bone that they can generally leave 4e alone. Still, if Paizo could bloody well get into 4e, we'd have some amazing modules to DM my players through.
The other products are also excellent, though I kinda wish the flipmat was easier to fold and store.

What also makes me happy is that the regular subscriptions allow for fiction by Elaine Cunningham, who is one of my favourite authors.
And the art is generally fantastic (though I find the ginormous elf ears a bit goofy; so sue me!).

However, I'm genuinely annoyed that they don't do 4e. I understand, they're only human (and they like 3e), but I'm a selfish, selfish man and I wants more 4e modules... and can't have them.

Hmm. While I have similar things to say about the 4e small children; err - fans, who play that Silly Videogame based Boardgame Edition of D&D, You can run Pathfinder adventure paths in 4e easily. Including using the Golarion Setting.

1. Most of the creatures/races already exist in 4e.
2. Races are fairly easy to convert to 4e.
3. Adding traits at level one would not break 4e.
4. IIRC, Items didn't change ~too much, and should be easy to put in.
5. The campaign setting and modules are (unlike WoTC stuff) Crunch-Lite, and Fluff Heavy (closer to White Wolf Style, but prettier and easier to find things). ~ This means much less work in converting them to 4e.
6. There are people converting the stat blocks for adventure paths over to 4e already, and there are links to their websites in this thread, to get you those statblocks with 0 work on your part.
7. WotC killed forgotten realms, shut down dragon magazine(the High Quality Paizo one), and pulled too many of the cool options out of the core rules and forced cookie cutter character builds circumvented by having hundreds to thousands of different cookie cutters (as opposed to optional mechanical parts you can swap into your character as you build it) to cover whatever youre trying to build with the advent of 4e, and therefore you should be playing PFRPG anyways (lol).

But seriossly, even if you still Want to play 4e, points 1-6 should help you to play Pathfinder modules or play in Golarion, with the added bonus that you'll be supporting Paizo. :p

ancientvaults

Explorer
If 3E players are cavemen us oldschoolers must be the race of serpentmen that ran the show before humans arrived.

Beware, those who sing the praises of 4e, you will be called grognards when 6e, then 10e comes out.

I find the charm of Pathfinder not in the setting, but in the game. While Feats are annoying and stat blocks a nightmare, the game itself is very well written and streamlined. Sure, there are other simulacrums I run more, like Labyrinth Lord, but Pathfinder is not too shabby. Which means that they are doing something right. Some of us like their setting books and subscriptions, some of us like the core game itself, which gives the brand a wide appeal. I don't see myself buying much more Pathfinder material as there is a point when a game becomes a burden, but I plan on running it for quite some time.

Kodyax

First Post
Personally I started playing this game when it was AD&D 2nd Ed. in the Forgotten Realms. I reluctantly at first made the switch to 3rd Ed. but soon found I liked it better than 2nd. 4E is definitely not my cup of tea but there are those for whom Brand Name is almost a God. I know someone who is older than me that is the same way in that he refuses to drink any soda other than Coke and wants to play D&D really for no other reason than it's D&D. When I shop for soda at the supermarket I get what's on sale. Because of my diabetes I drink mainly Diet Mountain Dew right now or Coke Cherry Zero, whichever over brand the local supermarket has on sale at the time I go to buy soda. In a slightly similar vein I found the role playing taste of 3.5 Ed. to my liking and want to keep that flavor. Pathfinder keeps that and, in my opinion, improves upon it. But opinions are like tail holes, everybody's got one.

ssampier

First Post
Erik Mona is a Sith Lord

That explains so much.

I have been pretty impressed with what I have read about PF so far. I haven't read any of the modules, so far, though.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I think I see what is going on here.... ;)

picture.php

Jeez, when did this start to become an edition war issue (again?!).

Shoot, I started with 1st Ed and Basic D&D, went to 2nd Ed, moved to 3rd/3.x (wasn't my thing, but I played anyway), have moved to 4E (which I enjoy), and then picked up the Pathfinder Beta (not the for profit book), then bought the Pathfinder Core Rulebook and the Pathfinder Bestiary, and I also have subscribed to the Adventure Paths (I have to say that I would LOVE to play in Legacy of Fire, has Al-Qadim written all over it), and that the Council of Thieves AP books are very nice.

All this being said, yes, I am a 4E player, but would love to give PF a shot (if I could find a group).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads