• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I hate problem players

Darkmantle26

First Post
Every DM hates problem players, but what happens when one goes too far? In my recently finished campaign, which I am boundlessly proud of, there was one player who showed complete disregard for the game, table etiquette, story, ect. During gameplay he would show utter disrespect for me and the other players, not caring to even pronounce the NPCs names correctly. He would also go out of his way to ruin intense, dramatic, and emotional moments in the game by speaking in an obnoxious and offensive Australian. Not to mention he refused to role play his character, at the end I asked everyone what there characters did after the adventure was over, his reply was "Nothing" Everyone else loved the campaign, I don't think I was doing anything wrong, and I'm not really in a position to kick him out, but I need to do something.

Kite474

Explorer
Have you talked to him? If not try that first.

If that does not work? Try getting the group to talk to him. Peer pressure is wonderful/horrible like that.

If that does not work either try to find a way to get into a position to kick him.

Another option is to maybe see what he might be trying to look for out of the game. Maybe hes just board?

If none of the others work, and this is to be used as a FINAL resort. Make his characters life hell in the most passive aggressive way possible and try to get him to flee..... Like I said LAST AND FINAL RESORT LITERALLY TRY EVERYTHING ELSE BEFORE THIS!!

Zardnaar

Legend
I dumped 3 players. One was contrarily to everything I did. Basically did not want to do anything it seemed. The other two just kept doing stupid things getting themselves and others killed. By that it was firewalling the party, running away in combat and leave the cleric solo on the front lines and try and build melee pcs with a 12 prime attribute.

Oy, we've all been there at one time or another. I think the best thing to do with a problem player that you can't kick out is to minimize their disruption. If they're damaging those intense RP-related moments, get his action and move past it as best as you can. Say, if there's a wonderful RP moment going at the tavern and he pipes up with "G'day mate, howabout some shrimp on the barbie?" then say the server brings him some potted prawns and immediately move back to the rest of the PCs as smoothly as possible.

I kinda suspect that some problem players enjoy being disruptive, because it makes the game all about them.

Not every player comes to the game to role-play, and no amount of trying to encourage it is going to help. As someone who enjoys role-playing, that approach boggles my mind, but there you have it. Some folks just like killing monsters and taking their stuff. The trick is to not let them damage the fun of the other players that do like role-playing.

Heck, though, my players seem to take great pride in mangling NPC names. It drives me up a wall.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
If you are the DM, but are not allowed to restrict which players are allowed to play, the problem is not with the player that doesn't seem to like your campaign - it's with who/what is overriding your ability to say "You clearly aren't having fun. Please stop showing up before your not having fun starts causing others to have less fun."

S

Sunseeker

I'm amazed he stuck it out through the entire campaign. Why did he even come? Why didn't you kick him out? What possible redeeming quality did he have?

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
If he's not having fun, why is he there? If this is one of those guy's that takes pleasure in crapping in another guy's living room, you should point blank tell him he shouldn't play in a game he doesn't enjoy. Apologize for not running a game he enjoys and tell him he's free to avoid any future games you run.

Demorgus

Explorer
Assuming that it was in my purview to, he would have been asked not to come back after being talked to about his behavior and how it was damaging the enjoyment of the game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads