• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I have a (somewhat lengthy) confession to make

JeffB

Legend
I caved in, and bought a 3 month sub to DDI before the price jacked up. :blush:

I was one very disappointed 4E fan due to the VTT becoming vaporware and the middling adventure quality I'd seen in the first free issues of digital Dungeon, so I had wrote the DDI off and decided "not for me". But I figured with the impending increase I'd see if it had improved any.

After having access to everything the past few days-I *REALLY* wish I had sub'ed at the old price for a year.

I've found Dragon to be something I'd get more use out of as far as the magazines go which is weird, but there have also been a few adventures I'd run (though not a fan of the AP they are doing at all). The design philosophy articles are a fun read. I have a hard time fathoming (due to my groggy-ness) that I often agree with them, enjoy 4E for what it is and has done to reinvent itself, and yet I still love the LBBs and Moldvay Cook Marsh- it's all good. Even though I'll never use/like all of it (the magazines), it's a good buy and def worth 6 bucks a month, IMO.

The Compendium is extremely useful as it allows me to preview the crunch of the books and determine if they are something worth my time to browse through and buy . (keep in mind I'm ahrdcore "core rules" DM-I've only bought the 1s, and just last week bought MM2 and PHB2). In some cases I've said "OK-thats something I have to have as a physical book", and others where I said " OK, I like those two monsters, and a few of the Magic Items, but I don't need to blow $30.00 on that book"

The Character Builder- I *hate* using computers for gaming- I really do and have always avoided it for FTF gaming- but I'm getting a kick out of this thing. With the math heaviness of the WOTC editions- I can see the great amount of utility here.

My only real issues/concerns are that

1) I get all kinds of crashes whether downloading PDFs of the magazines, or using the Compendium with Firefox (my usual browser). Inernet Explorer works much more smoothly with far fewer crashes.

2) I'd pay the bit extra for a POD feature. I miss the printed magazines!!!!!! :.-(

3) I realize not every adventure will be suitable for me personally (and I KNOW I'm a picky SOB when it comes to Adventures) but how about a couple more adventures or at the least some smallish plug n'play mini mods per issue???? 3 (one of which is an AP adventure) just doesn't cut the mustard.

4) PLEASE start using the adventure format used in Keep on the ShadowFell for the Dungeon mag adventures. The current format which is like the late 3E format is a PITA.

That is all.

Roger.

Over.

Last edited:

TheHeretic

Banned
Banned
Sooo.... you do actually pay for the DDI who does
- is unstable and does not work as intended, i.e. crashes(!) when you download dungeon/dragon pdfs
- generates characters only beyond 3rd level if you actually pay for a feature that is mostly available as a free utility/tool with most other roleplaying games
- contains design stuff to make core rules at last "playable" in a very clunky way (skill challenges)
- VTT gone, yet you still dump your money in the DDI
- What use does a compendium have, if it's electronic? Computers don't belong at the gaming table, not for the GM, not for the players.

Bodhiwolff

First Post
Glad to hear that you've discovered the variety of useful things in the compendium.

I'm an ancient, decrepid gamer myself, and cut my teeth in the late 70's with RPG's, but even as "old school" as I tend to be, I find myself completely and utterly in love with the electronic side of things! Don't get me wrong -- I still buy all of the books in print, but having them inter-connected via the compendium and Builder, and having a giant, searchable database of all of the crunchy game bits is simply brilliant!

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing occasional crashes, etc. I haven't found that at all, but I can imagine that would be *extremely* frustrating at times!

I, myself, can't imagine running my games without access to the compendium, and the current campaign tools (sparse as they are). Add to this the fact that WotC has recently announced that they're working on more detailed and useful campaign tools for DM's, and the future looks very bright indeed!

And I've even discovered that, as a DM, I will still enjoy just noodling with new characters on the Builder. Every time I monkey with it for a few minutes, I discover some new and fun aspect or build which I inevitably become intrigued with, and consider implementing in some character or other.

My players have also become quite hooked on the electronic side as well. They love the builder, and it really helps us keep our game organized.

I'm extremely grateful that WotC has decided to emphasize this sort of toolset, and has coordinated all of the print books via an electronic scheme. I will happily pay a few bucks a month for the convenience, the utility, and the added value to my games.

Badwe

First Post
one of us. one of us!

don't be swayed by the naysayers. it's a good deal. great in fact. and it doesn't make you a 4e fanboy for trying it (at least not intrinsically, maybe on your own you'll change your mind)

JeffB

Legend
- is unstable and does not work as intended, i.e. crashes(!) when you download dungeon/dragon pdfs

Like I said- works well with IE. I had one crash with IE and since it's IE8- I cant say for sure its not a MS issue vs. a WOTC issue. But Firefox does nto work well at all.

- generates characters only beyond 3rd level if you actually pay for a feature that is mostly available as a free utility/tool with most other roleplaying games

This I could care less about. The character builder is a fun side-toy. I did not buy the subscription for the builder. As for what other companies charge or dont charge you for, I don't care, cos I'm not using/playing those games.

contains design stuff to make core rules at last "playable" in a very clunky way (skill challenges)

Not sure I follow you here. And since when I was running 4E I mostly used an ad hoc skill challenge system of my own, I'm not sure this is a concern of mine.

VTT gone, yet you still dump your money in the DDI

It was 20 bucks dude-not my rent money for the month. I wanted to see if the magazines had improved (as I stated) I also figured I could download everything I wanted over 3 months and get my money's worth if I didn't want to re-up my sub at the end of 3 months.

What use does a compendium have, if it's electronic? Computers don't belong at the gaming table, not for the GM, not for the players.

Agreed-hate computers at the table, but I can print all that compendium stuff out- so it has plenty of value at the table.

Last edited:

MrMyth

First Post
- contains design stuff to make core rules at last "playable" in a very clunky way (skill challenges)
- VTT gone, yet you still dump your money in the DDI
- What use does a compendium have, if it's electronic? Computers don't belong at the gaming table, not for the GM, not for the players.

I'm one who gladly pays for it, and has found it to be the most cost-efficient gaming purchase I have ever made, in terms of what I get out of it for the price. And I say that as someone who doesn't even generally look at the Dungeon adventures.

1) I haven't ever encountered any sustained issues accessing the PDFs, myself - and the WotC representatives (at least in their forums) are generally pretty gung-ho about trying to help with specific issues.

2) The Character Builder is fantastic, and well worth the price. What games are you aware of that have a similar product available for free, and is it on the same level of utility?

3) The skill challenge articles aren't designed to make them 'playable', they are designed to present interesting ways to use them and how to handle them with good design. I actually disagree with several facets of the current skill challenge system, but that doesn't change the facts that the articles on them are some of the most innovative and inspirational articles you can find.

4) Given that the VTT isn't an advertised component of the current DDI - and that the current price is set to reflect only the current content being offered - I see no problem with its absence at the present time. I'd love for it to be available, of course, but I am very much getting value for what I am paying for, which is all that is really worth debating.

5) The compendium is invaluable in designing characters or planning out adventures, outside of a session entirely. And it does come in handy during a game - my DM has a tiny laptop he keeps behind his DM screen, and consults if any rules issues come up or if we need to check the wording on specific abilities, and so forth. The laptop is a negligible presence, largely invisible to the entire group, and in no ways detracts from the gaming experience.

Obryn

Hero
JeffB said:
Like I said- works well with IE. I had one crash with IE and since it's IE8- I cant say for sure its not a MS issue vs. a WOTC issue. But Firefox does nto work well at all.
I've found that, strangely, Google Chrome works the best for me on DDI. Otherwise, I'm a Firefox guy. I don't know if it's a browser issue or a WotC issue, but my guess is it's the former.

While I have a lot of love for HeroForge, frankly the 4e Character Builder is probably the best piece of RPG character generation software that's ever come out. I can't think of anything else that comes close.

(1) Prep time. Regardless of whether or not I want to have a PC at the table, I regularly use a PC for game prep. Most of the stuff in the compendium - items & monsters - is ideal for this purpose. (And the Encounter Builder is pure gold.) When I'm prepping for Call of Cthulhu, Wikipedia and Google Earth are indispensible references.

(2) Who says computers have no place at the table? :) When I was running full 3.5, I used my PC to find rules and spell descriptions in the SRD all the time. When I'm running Call of Cthulhu, I'll use my laptop for visual aids, and occasionally pull up Google Earth. I'll also use my laptop for sound effects from time to time.

I've found the computers absolutely do have a place at the table, if they're handled right, just like any other tool.

-O

Oryan77

Adventurer
Computers don't belong at the gaming table, not for the GM, not for the players.
I think my players would enjoy hearing the background music off of my laptop rather than listen to me humming it. Plus, it'll only hold the game up if I'm shuffling through a notebook for all my campaign notes, random NPC names, tavern info, planar notes, rules references, XP sheet, ect ect, when I could be using my Excel file instead. I suppose I could manually calculate a CR instead of using my CR calculator to make a fair encounter when the PCs do something I wasn't expecting. But it's just so much easier to do all this with my laptop :lol:

It's also nice if I needed to DM at another house & I could use my pdfs if I forgot a book.

gizmo33

First Post
Computers don't belong at the gaming table, not for the GM, not for the players.

My wrist-watch has some circuit logic in it - should I leave that in the next room when I GM? What about a calculator? Abacus? I really missed that section of the DMG that must explain all of this.

JeffB

Legend
one of us. one of us!

don't be swayed by the naysayers. it's a good deal. great in fact. and it doesn't make you a 4e fanboy for trying it (at least not intrinsically, maybe on your own you'll change your mind)

Heh. Oh I like 4E well enough and have since the day I got the core books last summer (see my sig) :D Not sure I'd say I'm a fanboy becuase I have my criticisms, but I havent felt so creative in a DM capacity since I was a kid and was running MCM B/X! Not gaming currently but still plugging away coming up with adventures,setting materials, plots, ideas, and and and and.

The "issue" is I had been fairly vocal about my displeasure with the free versions of the magazines (especially DUNGEON) and lack of VTT in the past here and elswhere online, so thats where the "confession" comes from. I'm a firm believer in giving credit where credit is due, and I felt WOTC deserves some credit here- IMO, For the price they charge, the DDI is a good value, despite the faults/flaws I find with it.

Last edited:

Remove ads