• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I have been taken hostage by a Dragon!

der_kluge

Adventurer
I would try to learn as much about the dragon as I could, and maybe stroke his ego a bit. Try to convince it that you would like to be his servant, and would do his bidding. Who knows, it might work.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
He spared you.

In this game Always Evil isn't always evil.

Think about it.

(In my considered opinion gaining an objective through horsetrading should gain a PC as much, if not more, experience as bashing an opponent till he stops moving.)

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
It's a good thing the dragon has internet access...Oh wait, I just read your post.

Who says a paladin won't negotiate with an evil dragon? The paladin just has to make sure that the dragon doesn't get away with anything. I think that saving your life through negotiation, and then killing the dragon would be more of paladinly thing to do.

Ahrimon

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
MerakSpielman said:
The dragon's demand is that he will release the fighter and let us live if the shiny one (that's me) agrees to pay him 10,000gp. This is not the kind of deal a paladin likes to make, especially since they are forbidden to lie.
So you're playing lawful stupid then?

The demand is "I'll release the fighter for a bit of cash".

Hmm.

Paladins code:
Code of Conduct: A paladin must be of lawful good alignment and loses all class abilities if she ever willingly commits an evil act.
Paying a ransom doesn't sound like an evil act.
Additionally, a paladin’s code requires that she respect legitimate authority, act with honor (not lying, not cheating, not using poison, and so forth),
You're going to pay, so you're not breaking this bit
help those in need (provided they do not use the help for evil or chaotic ends),
Yup, you're going to be doing this - you're saving the fighter
and punish those who harm or threaten innocents.
The agreement doesn't cover cessation of hostilities. So you can pay the ransom, back off to recover, then come back with some real tactics for dealing with the dragon.
Associates: While she may adventure with characters of any good or neutral alignment, a paladin will never knowingly associate with evil characters, nor will she continue an association with someone who consistently offends her moral code. A paladin may accept only henchmen, followers, or cohorts who are lawful good.
I hardly think that paying a ransom constitutes "association" to the degree that this clause means.

It sounds to me like your paladin is saying to himself "I don't wanna spend 10,000 gold to save my buddy." rather than "A rescue plan is more likely to work than negotiating."

MerakSpielman

First Post
FYI, my paladin doesn't have any money. He keeps leaving it at orphanages.

And no, he's not particularly smart - his half-orc cohort has a higher intelligence than he does. And he has a particular thing against evil dragons. An evil dragon took his axe once.

T'rell's sure he could take that dragon in a fair fight.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads