• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I have both the Dragonlance CS and the Age of Mortals Campaign book. Ask away!

talinthas

First Post
Yeah, it occured to me that Dragonlance's official release date is friday, and yet word hasn't been spreading as far as i would like. Admittedly the market has been innundated with loads and loads of campaign worlds, but i feel that dragonlance is special enough to be worth at least a look at. Virtually every gamer knows who Raistlin is, and many of them have read the original Dragonlance Chronicals, if nothing else. The world has come a long way since then, and the latest campaign books are the best gaming product put out since its inception.

The DLCS is the complete guide to the setting, with a comprehensive timeline and detailed geography, with solid writeups of races and classes and gods. You may think that this should be par for the course, but the scope becomes huge when you think of the 200 novels and 120 gaming products that the setting has to draw from. These books manage to distill the heroic flavor of dragonlance into an elegant design.

Previous criticisms of dragonlance said that the novels and modules basically railroaded PCs into set plots. With the new setting, this is not the case. The story has been set up so that DMs once again have free reign over where to go, and what to pursue. With so many loose threads, the setting has never been a better place to game in.

In anycase, if anyone is curious about the contents of the book, ask away, cause i'm happy to answer =). If nightfall can be the sage of the scarred lands, then i can be the herald of dragonlance ;)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Go for it. :) I just earned my stripes by buying a lot of Scarred Lands stuff. You still have to outduel Ashram Bayle as my "evil" Midnight counterpart.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Okay, since in 3E (and presumably 3.5e) they basically changed halflings into Kender.

So, in the new Dragonlance, did they make Kender even more annoying to make them stand out from halflings? Or change them any?

talinthas

First Post
Nightfall said:
Go for it. :) I just earned my stripes by buying a lot of Scarred Lands stuff. You still have to outduel Ashram Bayle as my "evil" Midnight counterpart.

i own every american dragonlance product released (sometimes multiple covers and copies and editions), and a good chunk of the foreign stuff =)

So how useful would the DLCS be without the Age of Mortals for running a campaign?

By itself you could run a dragonlance campaign pretty easily, especially if you had at least a limited knowledge of the setting. Mainly though, its more a reference book than anything. Age of Mortals has a lot more info on cities and ruins and such. The DLCS is about as campaign accesible by itself as the FRCS.

So, in the new Dragonlance, did they make Kender even more annoying to make them stand out from halflings? Or change them any?

Kender have slightly different stat mods than halflings, +1 racial bonus to all saves, and bonuses to things like sleight of hand and open locks, even without ranks in the skill. Also, a negative to concentration checks, a new taunt mechanism based on bluff, immunity to fear and a few other tweaks. Mainly, its flavor issues.

talinthas

First Post
WizWrm said:
What's the Wizard of High Sorcery look like?

surprisingly enough, it looks virtually identical to this . Though, given that Cam Banks contributed a lot to the DLCS it might not be so surprising after all.

Vexed

First Post
The Masters of High Sorcery are PrC you have to take once you hit level four as a wizard, you are expected to take "THE TEST". Then you gain a PRC level in the Wizard of high sorcery class. Its like a more lenient version of a specialty wizard, with penalties and bonuses based on the moons. There is a bit more than that as well you get from the class : ) but that is it in a nutshell, i don't have my book on me at the moment.

You could run a game without the AOM book, however if you are interested in getting into detail about the present age, (specifics) i would recommend you pick it up. I enjoyed the age of mortals more so than the base book, its great! (more spells, alternative options, stuff translated from the novels, like magic failing, and draining magic items, etc.) Also lots of ruins, cities, flavor stuff.

If you are a fan (but not into gaming) its also a great reference for the setting etc.

Unless im mistaken though, they missed a couple things when they listed NPCs Dalamar and Palin have no alignment listed. And they forgot to include Laurana stats lol.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads