I HAVE IT!! AT LAST, IT IS MINE!!! MINE, I TELL YOU!! MIIIIIINE!!! (LotR)

drquestion

Explorer
Does anyone have an impression of how hard it would be to port the magic system over to d20? I don't know if I'm up to running a game in Middle-Earth, but I've heard good things about the magic in LotR, and I might be interested in converting it?

Thanks,
drquestion

Apok

First Post
Whew! Alrighty, lemme see if I can't catch up here...

ColonelH; Got the book at Dr No's, one of my Friendly Local Gaming Stores.

Wolfspider; Only the Men of Darkness take a -1 hit to their Wits. Also, the elven abilities you are referring to are available to all elves, not just the Sindar.

Beorn's ability to "skin-change" is discussed in the chapter on magic under the "Magical Abilities" section. Basically, it's possible to have certain spells as innate abilities that don't require gestures, words or Weariness Tests. The method for acquiring these abilities is given in this section.

On converting the LotR magic system to d20, I suggest the following;

1. Eliminate the idea of "spells per day" and "bonus spells" from high ability scores. Magicians in ME can (theoretically) cast as many spells per day as they want.

2. Assign each spell a Fortitude DC, which the caster must make when he casts the spell. If he makes the save, the spell is cast with no difficulty. If he fails, he fails to cast the spell and takes a -1 (or more) penalty to all attack rolls, skill checks and saving throws until he has rested for at least an hour. For every spell cast within one minute (or less) of each other, the Fort DC increases by +1 or +2 (your call, I would suggest +2). This effect is cumulative. Furthermore, the Fort Save DC increases by +2 for every spell effect the caster has going on at a time.

That is an extremely quick and dirty method of converting the LotR spellcasting system to d20. I leave the assigning of the base Fort DC's to you and your judgement.

Regarding ICE's MERP system, I have never played it so I really can't compare the two. Since I don't really want to deal with the baggage of Middle Earth, I'm going to use the rules as given in my own homebrew world. I'll keep the feel and ambiance of the Tolkien setting but the history and events will be of mine and my players own creation.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Apok said:
Whew! Alrighty, lemme see if I can't catch up here...

Wolfspider; Only the Men of Darkness take a -1 hit to their Wits. Also, the elven abilities you are referring to are available to all elves, not just the Sindar.

Thanks for clarifying the bit about the Men of Darkness. I can understand them having a lack of wits. ;)

Yes, I know that all elves can choose to have abilities like Night Vision...I'm just saying that I think they should be intrinsic to the race. A race born to live under the stars should have the ability to see in those conditions, right? Also, could you confirm whether or not only the Sindar have a bonus to Vitality?

Thanks!

roytheodd

First Post
I think the LotR book has some funny elements to it - like you can't play a female dwarf because there are none in the novels. Hehe.

Apok

First Post
Wolfspider said:

Thanks for clarifying the bit about the Men of Darkness. I can understand them having a lack of wits. ;)

Heh, no problem! Yes, the fact that they were subservient to Sauron likely contributed to their soft-headedness... :D

Yes, I know that all elves can choose to have abilities like Night Vision...I'm just saying that I think they should be intrinsic to the race. A race born to live under the stars should have the ability to see in those conditions, right? Also, could you confirm whether or not only the Sindar have a bonus to Vitality?

Thanks!

It wouldn't be a major issue to give all elves the Night Eyes edge automatically, but the concept of Elves living in a world of starlit darkness with no sun for thousands of years was from the Silmarilion which isn't part of the licence. I do understand your point, though, and it's an easy fix.

Yes, the Sindar are the only elves that gain a bonus to Vitality (+1 to be exact).

Any more questions? I'll be leaving for class around 2:30 but I'll check back in around 5:00 or so.

Last edited:

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Apok said:
2. Assign each spell a Fortitude DC, which the caster must make when he casts the spell. If he makes the save, the spell is cast with no difficulty. If he fails, he fails to cast the spell and takes a -1 (or more) penalty to all attack rolls, skill checks and saving throws until he has rested for at least an hour. For every spell cast within one minute (or less) of each other, the Fort DC increases by +1 or +2 (your call, I would suggest +2). This effect is cumulative. Furthermore, the Fort Save DC increases by +2 for every spell effect the caster has going on at a time.

What about something along the lines of Call of Cthulhu d20's magic, in which spells cost Ability points to cast? Does that seem to fit with Decipher's LotR magic system?

Do statistics of Gandalf and Saruman reflect their Maia heritage, do they have some extraordinary powers because of it?
Also, would Man Of Darkness be suitable for Black Numenorians?

Apok

First Post
roytheodd said:
I think the LotR book has some funny elements to it - like you can't play a female dwarf because there are none in the novels. Hehe.

Actually, there is nothing that says you can't play a female dwarf, only that it would be rare in the extreme to see one outside of a dwarfhome. It's a matter of flexibility v. feel, really.

Apok

First Post
ColonelHardisson said:

What about something along the lines of Call of Cthulhu d20's magic, in which spells cost Ability points to cast? Does that seem to fit with Decipher's LotR magic system?

I'm not very familiar with CoC's magic system, so you might have to help me a bit on this one. The basic idea behind the LotR system is that casting spells is very tiring, and if you try to do too much at once you could easily knock yourself out or make yourself useless for a time. The more spells you cast, the more difficult it becomes to keep casting them and not collapse from exhaustion.

If you would care to elaborate on CoC's magic system I might be better able to evaluate their compatability.

Apok

First Post
Melkor said:
Do statistics of Gandalf and Saruman reflect their Maia heritage, do they have some extraordinary powers because of it?
Also, would Man Of Darkness be suitable for Black Numenorians?

Gandalf isn't statted in the core book, but Saruman is. His race is listed as "From across the Sea" since the concept of Maia isn't part of Decipher's licence. He doesn't have any unique abilities or powers that I can see, but he does have 42 levels of advancement which is a ton.

The Black Numenorians are simply Dunedain that have been corrupted and serve Sauron.

Remove ads