• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I have not purchased a gaming book of any kind in over a year

D&D, and roleplaying in general is Huge in the services. Having been around the services as a dependent for more than 25 years I can tell you there has never been any troube finding or starting a group. Right now I play with a bunch of AF EOD guys, before that it was more AF, growing up I played with guys in the armys, both field types and rear-echelon types. Games are plentiful. I can only imagine the navy is even better I mean being on a ship for 6 months you have to have some kind of compavt hobby and RPG's fit the bill.

As a matter of fact alot of guys deploying take books and dice with them, or have them sent later by their family. A bunck of K-4 guys got donated a ton of material from WOTC last year because there were a bunch of players with no supplied down there. I think we did a dice drive here on the boards actually.

Thullgrim

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
For some games I am a sourcebook slut, for others I am quite happy using the core rules and playing it as I want.

My old OD&D campaign which I ran until the release of 3e ran using the Rules Cyclopedia, a small binder of new spells, races, and classes, the Dark Sun original boxed set and some articles from Dragon Magazine. All that for darn near 20 years of campaign.

Same thing for Gamma World, I've NEVER bought an accessory for that game other than the occasional module at discount used bookstores.

Honestly, once a good game is running, supplemental books often just get int the way of an enjoyable game, adding new stuff at every twist and turn as the game goes on.

On the other hand, sometimes this can be used to refresh those players who get stuck in a rut.

Ace

Adventurer
Chauzu said:
I don't plan on buying any more books, because in 8-12 months I'll likely be a long ways from here. If I wasn't I'd still be buying. :)

Though... I'm not sure if I should buy anyways. Do people play much D&D in the service?

I wasn't in the service but I come from a town near several big military bases.

My gaming groups always had active duty military.

Last edited:

Ace

Adventurer
nemmerle said:
The last thing I bought was Manual of the Planes as an impulse buy to try to take my mind off the events of September 11th - on around September 14th, 2001.

That is the last D&D book I bought and the last gaming book of any kind I purchased, found or borrowed.

Anyone else like me just feel like "I don't ever have to buy any more D&D stuff ever again, and I don't feel like it either?"

I may get the revised books though.

:Looks Around Timidly:

I have been buying :Gasp:

Non RPG stuff

I have 1.2 gigs worth of legal D&D on my hard drive-- Dozens of Prc's, Alt Core clases, spells and more.

All of this stuff comes from the Boards, Personal Use copies of D20 Weekly, HOmebrew, WOTC Downloads and web page stuff. None of it is Warez

My group in the last year used the 3 Core Books, Montes Ranger and Swashbuckling Adventures and thats it

We have of the WOTC splats, most of the Quint Books, Some Scarred Lands Stuff, Dragon and who knows what else. Only two (out of 6 of us) even look at it

Now adding insult to injury D&D is no longer on the menu---

I am now basically on hold for D&D right now, heck its gotten bad enough my FLGS is starting to miss me

:D

Siggelsworth

First Post
This summer my I got an apartment with a GM. He buys anything that comes around containing something worth-while (which I must say it's been a fairly good year for quality material--keep it up). Needless to say I've hardly even looked at the new books section at my local shop. Around Christmas I found myself feeling guilty for not supporting companies who have done a lot of work to keep my gaming experience growing; I'm afraid I might soon be going on a new dice binge.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
nemmerle said:
Anyone else like me just feel like "I don't ever have to buy any more D&D stuff ever again, and I don't feel like it either?"

Heh. I buy lots of things I don't have to. D&D books among the rest. I'm a supplement slut like Henry and BigFreakinGoblinoid. You're correct that I could get by just fine if I never bought another book. But what fun is that?

And here I had been feeling pious because since November I've been limiting my D&D/D20 purchases to $150 each month.:eek:

edit:spelling

Last edited:

gariig

First Post
Re: Re: I have not purchased a gaming book of any kind in over a year

Buttercup said:

I'm a supplement slut like Henry and BigFreakinGoblinoid.

O yeah, I know about that. I've bought tons of stuff since I got into 3E. Hell, that's why I have a job, right??

Gariig

Chauzu

First Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I might go on a shopping spree now then. :p

Actually, I've been interested in getting Epic Level Handbook, MMII, Monsters of Faerun, and those Recon Chessex Dice :)

Xaven

First Post
I am in the army, and I don't know about others, but I can't find a real group to save my life. That might jsut be Fort Stewart, though, as when I was in Kosovo (Thullgrim, if what you mean by K-4 you meant KFOR, standing for Kosovo Force, then I was a part of that) I had plent yof people to play D&D with. Too bad they were all from a different base :( I guess it is all on where you are stationed.

Remove ads