• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I have something... THE TARRASQUE!

pemerton

Legend
We definitely need to see the rules on Legendary Actions.
It seems to me that it's not saying it gets a legendary action every time someone else has taken an action, but rather that is the timing trigger, like the shield spell has a reaction of when someone else attacks you or targets you with magic missile.

If it got extra actions for every opponent, the more foes, the faster it would get

<snip>

Now I wonder if the Legendary Actions are like Bonus and Reaction. You only get one of each type of action in a round. Of course that wording of "can take 3 legendary actions" might mean it can take 3 legendary actions a round, or it might mean you still only get one of those, but you have 3 different things you can chose to do when you get that legendary action. (In that case, attack, move, or chomp.) Of course, chomp taking two actions seems to me that it has to be able to have multiple legendary actions
All the rules to answer your questions are stated in the preview:

* It can take 3 legendary actions, chosen from the list below (but Chomp counts as 2 actions);

* It regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn;

* It can use only one legendary action at a time, and only at the end of another creature's turn.

In other words, it can use a legendary action at the end of any other creature's turn, until it has used 3, at which point it can't use any more until the start of its turn when its pool of legendary actions refreshes.

It's another attempt at handling the action economy issues for solo monsters after the various attempts in 4e. It's most like the 4e beholder (which can attack as a free action at the start of each enemy's turn if within 5 squares).

variant

Adventurer
Why would they be useless? As the poster to whom you replied noted, they would have disadvantage on attack rolls, but they do not need to make any attacks. And they cannot close to the Tarrasque, but the set-up assumes that it is closing to them, so that it can kill and/or eat them as they plink away at it with Sacred Flames.

Because as far as I am concerned, unless they are shackled down, they are going to run.

Tarrasque? Why, not a more useable monster in it's place? This is a MM2 monster at best, may use it once but just filler to me.

Since de 2nd edition the Tarrasque is on the first MM. It's tradition and a lot of players hope to see it. Usually this is the most powerful monster on that book and even who won't fight it, want to see how nasty a creature on D&D can be

A thing that I liked here it seeing the bounded accuracy at play. AC 25 for a CR 30 monsters seems low on 3.x and very ridiculous low on 4th. But now we know that it's very high. All the T's numbers are scary: it have a high AC, high chances of hit, a lot of HP, high damage... The very cool thing is that you don't have to understand a progression math/curve to know how high this is... very different from 3.x and 4th.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
My main issue is that this is one class (a wizard, natch) and you don't really need a party after that.

It's well and good to say, "fine, a horde of villagers can kill big monsters" but this is one pc.

I don't really follow. Unless you also give that wizard 100 magic bows (or a hoarde of mages), it can't do much of anything, yeah?

If you've got 100 magic bows, you can also give them to 100 1st-level Archer fighters (maybe an army of elves!) and they can do the same thing, but better.

Hell, if that's your issue, halflings break the game here. It's got a WIS bonus of +0, so if you give a SINGLE 1st-level dex-focused Archer fighter with training in Stealth a SINGLE magic bow, it can eventually plink T into the negatives as well by run-and-hide-and-snipe-and-run-again. Range matters less with this strategy, so give 'im a sling, and T will literally never know what hit it. ;)

synthapse

Explorer
Hell, if that's your issue, halflings break the game here. It's got a WIS bonus of +0, so if you give a SINGLE 1st-level dex-focused Archer fighter with training in Stealth a SINGLE magic bow, it can eventually plink T into the negatives as well by run-and-hide-and-snipe-and-run-again. Range matters less with this strategy, so give 'im a sling, and T will literally never know what hit it. ;)

I don't think the 1st-level hiding halfling stands much of a chance against 120 feet of blindsight...

Obryn

Hero
I don't really follow. Unless you also give that wizard 100 magic bows (or a hoarde of mages), it can't do much of anything, yeah?

If you've got 100 magic bows, you can also give them to 100 1st-level Archer fighters (maybe an army of elves!) and they can do the same thing, but better.

You're focused on the example.

Imagine the tarrasque didn't have the nonmagical weapon immunity. Or that it's a different monster - say, the adult blue dragon from the pdf.

There's not many class features - or classes - that are near 3,000 hit points of skeletons or a hundred extra attacks. And anything without this blanket immunity is shredded.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads