• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I have something... THE TARRASQUE!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And yet, without regeneration you will eventually whittle it down.

Well, you can chase it off. It outruns you, eventually, as very few things can produce it's movement rate. It has a con of 30, so it can go pretty much forever. Then, when you give up chasing it, it takes a long rest, regains all its hit points, and then does what it likes.

Oh, also, it can dodge. That gives you a disadvantage on the attack, which means you only hit when you roll *two* natural 20s, I believe. How much acid are you carrying? How much of the town do you sizzle into acidic sludge before you kill it?

On the picture it also does not have an opposable thumb

So? As if the artwork detail is going to be the GM's basis for what it can do when you try to pull that trick? Trusting soul, you are....

In any case, thumbs are great for small detailed work, but you can scoop up and toss things without them. And the thing in question is gonna be big - like, say, a cow, or an outhouse. It doesn't need pinpoint precision or a perfect football spiral when it is hucking cows at you. :)

nor does it look like it can lift its arms very high.

Remember that for the character's epitaph.

Jynx_lucky_j

First Post
And yet, without regeneration you will eventually whittle it down.
On the picture it also does not have an opposable thumb, nor does it look like it can lift its arms very high.

I knew a guy that had lost his thumb on his dominate hand. He could still pick up objects and throw them just fine (he had a hard time me opening jars though). And with a quck test outside I found I can throw objects quite high with out ever raising my hands higher than my shoulder. He might not be particularly accurate, but you don't have to be when your throwing a house.

But you are absoultely right wittling the Tarrasque down from as far away as possible is likely the best way to fight it. Seems to be working as intended to me. You wouldn't particularly want to go toe-to-toe with Godzilla would you? Of course at a certain point it will likely decide to flee back to its lair. Then you have to go in and finish it off in tight quarters, otherwise it will take a long rest and be back to full health and out eating villages again.

Branduil

Hero
So, based on the "Lairs" section in the updated Basic Rules, I have a strong suspicion that the Tarrasque's Lair page will have something that deals with the flying archer, as well as area attacks.

MarkB

Legend
I have a hard time imagining 500 or whatever amount of skeletons can take down something that massive.It just seems silly that the Tarrasque is ONLY hitting ONE NPC at a time with its HUGE tail/claws/mouth, if your DM is allowing that then I guess you deserve to kill it with that silliness. I understand the rules vs the Players since it would/should be an epic fight for THEM but if your adding in an army of skeletons or whatnot they should be easily pushed/scattered aside by something that is a world shaking force,I can only imagine this fight playing out with the players + armies/cities being leveled in the process.

Standard D&D combat rules aren't meant or designed to handle 100+ combatants. When you reach that scale, you're best off using something different, whether it's using swarm / mob rules for the large groups of attackers, or full-on switching to the mass combat rules that will supposedly be in the DMG.

And in those rules, you can bet the Tarrasque is chomping down on skeletons by the dozen.

I have a hard time imagining 500 or whatever amount of skeletons can take down something that massive.It just seems silly that the Tarrasque is ONLY hitting ONE NPC at a time with its HUGE tail/claws/mouth, if your DM is allowing that then I guess you deserve to kill it with that silliness. I understand the rules vs the Players since it would/should be an epic fight for THEM but if your adding in an army of skeletons or whatnot they should be easily pushed/scattered aside by something that is a world shaking force,I can only imagine this fight playing out with the players + armies/cities being leveled in the process.

I'm sure it will be able to take on armies with the Battlesystem mass combat rules (coming soon to a DMG near you!). I'd probably say, as a DM, that if more than a certain number of creatures are fighting a gargantuan monster like that, they have to use the mass combat rules.

Oh, also, it can dodge. That gives you a disadvantage on the attack, which means you only hit when you roll *two* natural 20s, I believe. How much acid are you carrying? How much of the town do you sizzle into acidic sludge before you kill it?

You know, I think dodging can really deflate the power of a lot of these scenarios where RAW might allow a groop of mooks to take down a goliath.

Combine that with mass combat rules, and I'm going to bet on the Tarrasques, Ancient Dragons, and Godzillas of the D&D worlds.

Remove ads