• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I have TWO wishes. Help please!!

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
justinsluder said:

Any ideas on how I need to word a wish to be hasted permanently? Without the possibility of be screwed over by the DM.
Considering what your DM did when you asked to be smarter, I'd say that this is impossible... :eek:

Just wish "I want a long, happy life" and retire your character. :)

Or wish "I want that a fair and good person gives me [insert Ring`s Market Price] for this ring without him or anybode else screwing me over"

Or, considering the first wish: "I wished the Creater and Controller of the world - the powers that be - will never again screw me over in any way" and than give the ring to somebody else.

Or "I wish to be able to express my next wish in a manner that would be outside of my personal knowledge and can only be understood by metacreatures like the powers that be..."
And than wish "I would like to have an inherent +1 bonus to intelligence"

Mustrum Ridcully

War Golem

First Post
Oracular Vision said:
If your DM was dumb enough to give you one (unless you earned it somehow)....

Hi Oracular Vision,

I am curious to know why you write this. Why is the DM dumb for giving a player access to a Wish? I am not aware of anything inherently evil, wrong, or game-breaking about a Wish spell.

In your opinion, what exactly would a PC have to do to "earn" a Wish?

Cheers,

-War Golem

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Darkness said:
Considering what your DM did when you asked to be smarter, I'd say that this is impossible... :eek:

Yup.

The DM simply ignored the spell descriptions, ignored the guidelines in the DMG, and ignored what your character actually said.

I advise you not to even bother using the remaining wishes. They will never do you any good.

The DM is purposefully torturing you trying to be a smartass (although his own brains are not up to the task).

If he wants to play the game of twisting player words he should have actually listened to what you said and given you some benefit you did not actually want, e.g. a few ranks scattered into some random Knowledge skills. That would be fair in some campaigns. It is unambiguously against the letter and spirit of the 3e rules though.

I agree with Al.

Oracular Vision

First Post
War Golem said:

Hi Oracular Vision,

I am curious to know why you write this. Why is the DM dumb for giving a player access to a Wish? I am not aware of anything inherently evil, wrong, or game-breaking about a Wish spell.

In your opinion, what exactly would a PC have to do to "earn" a Wish?

Cheers,

-War Golem

Sure, no problem.

Wishes are like dragons, special and mysterious. He hasn't said how he got the ring, but if I remeber right, it has a very high value, and is probably more than he was supposed to get according to the DMG player/loot ratios. But lets say he killed off a major bad guy, and is high enough level, and somehow really should have gotten a treasure this good. The DM obviously didn't want him to have it, as he is screwing him over. Wouldn't he have been better off with a same-value magic item that he could use all the time without any "value judgements" from the DM? If used fairly, you could get three stat bonuses from a ring of three wishes, and that's very powerful.

Truthfully, the ring is better used for other things anyway, though, as he could get stat bumps from magic items for less money value also.

Consider this, a party member fails a save and dies, and he was the parties only cleric. "I wish he had made his save." Poof! Bad thing fixed. There is no other magic item that can undo the bad things that happen, so it can be very helpful in these circumstances. Because he is using them immediately on himself, he is not demonstrating an understanding of the true usefulness of the ring, and is not worthy of it I think.

But, what the hey, Monty Haul rewards goes right along with the three times faster character advancment and monster dumbing down of 3rd Edition.

War Golem

First Post
Oracular Vision said:
Wishes are like dragons, special and mysterious.

I think this is entirely dependent on the campaign and the DM.

He hasn't said how he got the ring, but if I remeber right, it has a very high value, and is probably more than he was supposed to get according to the DMG player/loot ratios.

But, what the hey, Monty Haul rewards goes right along with the three times faster character advancment and monster dumbing down of 3rd Edition.

I don't recall the original poster ever stating what level his PC was, nor what he had done (or not done) to acquire the Ring of Wishes. Such an item hardly seems "Monty Haul" to me if the campaign is high-level. Nor even if the campaign is low-level and particularly deadly or tough.

I certainly agree the DM in question is being unreasonable about the effect of the player's wish.

Cheers,

-War Golem

justinsluder

First Post
I'm a 5th-level human Wizard. The ring belonged to my mother, also my teacher, and when she died of old age I inherited her ring. I later found out I couldn't take the ring off.

Anymore questions?

-Justin Sluder

Soltares

First Post
>He screwed me by saying, "Okay, you're now smarter than a >toad. Your Int is 4."

Your DM is being an ass. Destroy the ring by smacking it repeatedly against a rock wall and walk away from his game.

There is no reason why a *reward* should be given to a character and then be used maliciously to screw him over. This is a 9th level spell, not the Monkey's Paw.

Tell him to grow up on the way out the door.

Remove ads