• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I hope its not just me...

CapnZapp

Legend
In any case let me know any thoughts on this and the above idea if you guys have anything to chime in.
Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play introduced in its second edition what essentially is "at-will" spells. That was four years ago.

There are 1st edition hold outs, of course, but there are few attempts to add back in the old (D&D like, but with magic points) system into the new edition (AFAIK).

Sadrik

First Post
This is not something that I've seen, even once, outside of threads like this one.
You must be playing a different game than I am, because according to your previous post your combats are lasting a mere 5 rounds. They didn't even design game to play that fast. I can see why you don't feel like you are spamming anything. I think you will find that this is not the "feeling" many people get from combat.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
You must be playing a different game than I am, because according to your previous post your combats are lasting a mere 5 rounds. They didn't even design game to play that fast. I can see why you don't feel like you are spamming anything. I think you will find that this is not the "feeling" many people get from combat.

The assertion made me blink a bit... though I have seen some house rules that halved monster hit points to generally accelerate battle.

Perhaps many aren't feeling spammed because the players and DM are employing imaginative descriptions, improvisational moves and called shot style activity.... perhaps the DM, is using page 42 to effective end.

(note the original poster discovered in play it wasn't the issue he expected, except with a single player)

Belaugured DM

First Post
Well, apart from being busier than a 1 legged man in a but kicking contest lately, I am nearly done in my tinkering. When it does come, it’s not going to be anything earth-shattering in terms of revelation since many of the ideas shared thus far are also held by me to one extent or another. Mainly the most help came in the form of avoiding pitfalls or unforeseen circumstance.

I normally run games on Wed nights each week but my players all want a 2nd game this week tomorrow night, so I am going to accommodate them. I hope to have any final revisions ready on the new houserule by then so I can swing it by them and see if there are any objections, or suggestions. Once that’s done I will run it by you all before implementing probably, in an attempt to catch any oversight.

Once that is all accomplished I will post whatever my final solution is to the magic situation mainly, and as a secondary what I have done about at-wills across the board.

Expect my posting on the matter to be Mon or Tuesday Night for those interested. Some people’s suggestions are a little more closely held by me than others on this thread, so there will probably be a meld of ideas there. One or 2 ideas put forth I am diametrically opposed to actually but that’s another story entirely.

Thanks for the support and free flow of ideas!

P.S. One last humble request - Can a moderator "Fix" my screen name? Apparently I am more Beleaguered than I thought, my screen name is missing a pair of letter E's! A glaring oversight which was than a little embarrassing when I noticed it. If it’s not possible I will probably just re-register.

P.P.S. One last thing actually, combat for me usually last a good bit more than 5 rounds. This is probably my own fault however as I was very stingy when it came to character stat generation in the first place. Thusly, I have a fair share of missing going on. I was stingy because I was expecting a party of 12 PCs initially however. (Now you see why I say Beleaguered by the way.) We have actually winnowed that down to a much more manageable 8 however. (Still leaving me quite Beleaguered lol.) I may be a nice give and let my players all have a free stat point at the end of this adventure. My caveat there will be it cannot be used to bump a stat into the next positive modifier category.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
1) A diving roll passed the enemy with a slash and turning back to face them
2) A perfectly balanced lunge to attack an enemy who seemed just out of reach.
3) Attacking with an adroit bounce off the enemy on to the near by table.
4) circling to find that opening you are certain is there.

Do those sound like spamming....

Can anybody name my At-Will?

PS with that number of pcs 8 or 12 I would definitely have a second DM and
I would be still be afraid I couldnt do the game or the players justice.

Last edited:

Rel

Liquid Awesome
P.S. One last humble request - Can a moderator "Fix" my screen name? Apparently I am more Beleaguered than I thought, my screen name is missing a pair of letter E's! A glaring oversight which was than a little embarrassing when I noticed it. If it’s not possible I will probably just re-register

It's certainly possible but an admin needs to do this. Post about it in the Meta forum and I'm sure it'll get taken care of.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads