• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I just did something I never though I would do

der_kluge

Adventurer
I canceled my 4th edition pre-order. Amazon hadn't shipped my books yet, and given what I've read, seen, and now the GSL stuff was finally the nail in the coffin for me.

So long, WoTC, and thanks for all the fish.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I'm not switching to 4E either, but I'm still still glad that I bought the books. There is a lot of reagents in there for homebrewing 3.5E if one were so inclined...

Last edited:

LordDamax

First Post
After reading them, yes, 4E is a pile of WOW-to-the-tabletop garbage as far as I'm concerned.

That being said, there are some brilliant ideas in there I'll be smashing into my hybrid rules system.

I play MMO's because I wanna play a MMO. When I want to play D&D - I want D&D, not some marketing attempt to get todays ADD MMO children to buy my D&D books.

Amazing marketing strategy. Unfortunately, it's lost on this 33 year old who enjoys D&D.

redcard

First Post
This is dangerously close to being an edition wars thread.

That said, I find it funny when people call 4.0 "WoW for Tabletop Gamers."

Funny, because there IS a WoW for Tabletop Gamers ;)

edveal

Explorer
LordDamax said:
Amazing marketing strategy. Unfortunately, it's lost on this 33 year old who enjoys D&D.

But it is not lost on the 40 (yes I played in the 70's) yr with an 11 yr old ADD MMO playing son!

Lackhand

First Post
I'm sorry to hear about both Amazon and the canceled preorder.

I'm disappointed (in some ways) with the books as products, but if I can prognosticate for a moment: You might want to think about ordering the books again in, oh, October -- the chassis is pretty sweet (especially if you were already interested before :) ) -- and things will probably shake out for the better by then.

Or maybe I'm just a hopeless optimist. Whatever!
Still -- sorry customer service sucks so much. Viva la 3e!

Wormwood

Adventurer
LordDamax said:
Odd. 4e brought this 37-year old back to D&D after 3.5 stomped all interest out of him years ago.

What a difference four years makes.

Zogmo

First Post
Wormwood said:
Odd. 4e brought this 37-year old back to D&D after 3.5 stomped all interest out of him years ago.

What a difference four years makes.

I've got a group of three 43 year old who are having a great time playing 4e after losing interest like you.

I canceled the box and ordered the individual books for the same price on amazon and for a few extra bucks got them in three days.

The Little Raven

First Post
Wormwood said:

This 26-year-old and his 26-32 group is totally loving it. There is more roleplaying going on at the table than I've seen since I started 20 years ago.

Treebore

First Post
der_kluge said:
I canceled my 4th edition pre-order. Amazon hadn't shipped my books yet, and given what I've read, seen, and now the GSL stuff was finally the nail in the coffin for me.

So long, WoTC, and thanks for all the fish.

I'm out too. I am not even going to support Necromancer and Goodman like I was going to.

OGL 4 EVER!!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads