• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I just did something I never though I would do

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
LordDamax said:
Amazing marketing strategy. Unfortunately, it's lost on this 33 year old who enjoys D&D.

Not this thirty-something, 4th Ed is the D&D I have wanted for over 20 years, I'm so excited, I'm thinking about shoving the PHB straight up my bottom!

P.S. I do not play any computer/video games, whatsoever.

delericho

Legend
Having read the rules, I both hate and love the new edition. I love that encounter design is so much easier, and the increased emphasis on mixed groups of opponents (a lesson learned from DDM, I think, and a good one at that). I hate some of the utter inanities in the new ruleset (alignment, I'm looking at you).

I'll be playing 4e. And 3.5e. And Pathfinder. And possibly some sort of crazy hybrid of the three. And other games as well.

FWIW, and to my considerable surprise, I learned this morning that all of my players either have the new PHB, or have it on order. No other game we have ever played has had a 100% take-up like that.

(Oh, and since ages seem to be the thing in this thread: I'm 32 this month; my players are all roughly the same age.)

Dykstrav

Adventurer
delericho said:
Having read the rules, I both hate and love the new edition...

I'll be playing 4e. And 3.5e. And Pathfinder. And possibly some sort of crazy hybrid of the three. And other games as well.

I'm in this boat with 4E as well. There are alot of things that I really don't like about 4E, particularly multiclassing. But I'll drop the specifics on account of the moratorium right now and focus only on the reactions that I've observed.

I plan to play and run 4E games. Despite its many flaws and shortcomings, I still find the game fun to play. It's new and shiny and the response I've gotten for new players has been phenomenal. I found seven players in less than a week for 4E--I never had that sort of response from 3.5 or 3E.

I also plan to play and run 3.5 games. Since 2000 I've explored alot of the game's options and esoteric corners, and I have a version of the game that I'm comfortable with. 3.5 is cozy and intuitive for me and I have tons of homebrew material for it, not to mention OGL products. There's also a certain sense of completeness knowing that you don't have to worry about new sourcebooks covering something that you've already dealt with in your homebrew.

So why can't I play more than one game? Why can't I play both 3.5 and 4E?

I've been really amazed at the divisiveness that the new edition has triggered in the gaming community. The level of commitment that some groups want for you to be loyal to one edition or the other reminds me of the level of commitment one expects from a spouse. I really don't think it should be that big of a deal.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Dykstrav said:
I've been really amazed at the divisiveness that the new edition has triggered in the gaming community. The level of commitment that some groups want for you to be loyal to one edition or the other reminds me of the level of commitment one expects from a spouse. I really don't think it should be that big of a deal.
It's completely typical of online communities. If you like the Mac, you must hate the PC. If you like Unix, you must hate Microsoft. If you like WoW, you must hate Conan. If you like 3ed, you must hate 4ed.

Scribble

First Post
Treebore said:
So its fine with me that people like 4E. Just like its fine with me that others prefer HARP, Harn, Rolemaster, GURPS, etc...

Just don't expect to convince me that your game is better than mine. My game is perfect for me. Play in your sand box, don't expect me to play in it, just like I don't expect you to play in mine.

I agree with this position.

I like 4e. It's fun to play and seems to fit my style of DMing. If you don't agree so be it. I'ma fan of the system, so I might try to point out what I think makes it great... But ultimately the choice is yours, and I won't fault you for it. :)

I do get upset though, when people make false statements about it to "prove" it's "bad." But then again, that happens with everything. :D

We're all gamers. Have fun gaming. :D

Mercule

Adventurer
Wow. I loathe MMOs and I'm excited about 4e. I just don't see the correlation in any but the most basic ways. There's more similarity between 4e and CCGs, which I hate more than MMOs.

*shrug*

The Little Raven

First Post
pawsplay said:
It's actually pretty decent. I thought about sprining for it, but the milieu is just not that compelling to me, and there are too many class tweaks to make it super compatible for stealing stuff. But it's nice.

I disagree. I'm a huge Warcraft fan, but I found the WoW RPG to be pretty bad. The SRD cut-paste was especially annoying, as something like 160+ pages are straight out of a book I already own (the 3.5 PHB).

Remove ads