• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I just got my New Testament!

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Um do I actually need the book to play? I'd be interested in playing during the era - (a Danite kicking back with Joshua sounds fun) but wont have a chance to get the book for a few months at least!

I've read the old testament and have a basic idea of the era

um ...

damiller

Adventurer
No

Tonguez

Nah, we can work with what you got. You have to be familiar at least with 3e dnd as that is what is based on (d20)

You can give me an idea, and I can flesh it out with the details.

OH I got the board ready to go. Any of you folks that have posted so far that want to get on board the board Email Me and I will send and invite to you for the Yahoo Board.

d :D

damiller

Adventurer
juicy details!

Classes: Levite (Israel cleric), Khery-heb (wizard), Spy, Champion of Israel, Judge, Magus, Idol Maker

Biblical Battle Field Resolution System: 3 types of army combat Realistic, Heroic, Mythic. Each side has stats similiar to an individual (ie AC, HP, Damage). Each side has a quality stat (Green, Veteran, Legendary). There are 3 sides to each battle, when 2 sides of an opponent are defeated that side loses. Each side has up to 3 captains. These help lead troops into battle, and can often dominate the battle field themselves. (Think Samons, a jawbone, and 1000 philistines) Often the PCs will find themselves in the shoes of the leaders.

Bartering System although I dont' yet understand how this will all work, it sounds cool. Rather than using standard gold/silver/mud pieces (since they did not exist at the time of most of the Bible) the PCs and NPCs will haggle back and forth for goods and services. (ie I will trade you 10 goats for that golden cup? What that's a shaft!)

Piety each culture is represented as being true in terms of its own morality (ie no god is greater than another) This means that each culture has its standards of right and wrong (which are remarkably similiar) and a PC will gain or lose piety based on whether they do good or evil. (Now you may not think this is important, but about the time you ask your god for a good harvest, you may not get it if you were doing bunches of evil things and have a negative peity!!)

Biblical Bestiary a very nice expostion of the beasts of the bible and other ancient texts (I learned a bit about dragons and Tiamat! who is supposed to have been referred to in the Bible itself!) Some of these include Tempter Devils and Scorpion Guards. Also are listed the 3 types of angels.

History/Sociology of Babylon, Mesopotamia, Egypt, Israel, and Canaan VERY INTERESTING worth the price of the book alone. IT gives a very good overview of the history and practices of each of these peoples. Though admitably it covers Israel more than the others, but hey, the book does say Testament on the cover, not Book of the Dead, or Epic of Gilgamesh. So a little more time spent on Israel is to be expected.

Well does that whet your appetite enough! GO BY THE BOOK!

d :D

Voadam

Legend
I'm thinking of picking it up this weekend as well, the biblical bestiary is probably sealing the deal for me.

Unfortunately I don't think I have the time for a PBP game though.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I picked up a copy of Testament yesterday and I love it! I've been thinking this would make a great resource for a d20 Modern campaign as well, and could be used with RPGObject's Blood and Relics setting for instance.

Is it just me, or has there been a lot of high quality d20 products released lately - Monkey God Enterprises' From Stone to Steel, Atlas Games' Penumbra Fantasy Bestiary, and Testament from Green Ronin are really top notch. :)

Spike Y Jones

First Post
damiller said:
I just got my copy of Testament: Roleplaying in the Biblical Era. And what can I say but "WOW"! Green Ronin has done a bang up job.

Thanks.

Spike Y Jones, editor, Testament,
jealous because he couldn't pick up a comp copy of the book at Origins since GR sold out at the booth

MulhorandSage

First Post
Re: Re: I just got my New Testament!

Spike Y Jones said:

Thanks.

Spike Y Jones, editor, Testament,
jealous because he couldn't pick up a comp copy of the book at Origins since GR sold out at the booth

To add to what Spike said, the positive reaction that Testament has received so far has been overwhelming. Thanks from me too.

Scott Bennie

Remove ads