• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I just gotta know one thing

Holy Bovine

First Post
A troll is generally a post that is design specifically to inflame/insult people. You are just 'trolling' (ie fishing) for a heated response.

Usually trolls are obvious things like '3rd Edition Sucks' or 'Sorcerors are for power gamers' stuff like that.

However there are subtle trolls too and they are hard to identify as they could be seen as legitimate posts/questions.

Unfortunately I'm not subtle so I can't think of any off the top of my head.

I'm sure you'll get lots pf responses though ;)

Holy Bovine

First Post
There's a good example. The orginal poster even breaks the 'first law' of trolling - he returns to the thread and posts more.

I tend to think this may be another ENBoard member having a little fun - s/he's not rude or anything .

Trolls can be fun - in moderation.

If that one is a troll he's putting a lot of effort behind it, he posted looking for a new game in players seeking players.

I'm a sucker, I think that the poor guy just got a bum dm.

And some trolls are fun anyone remember the I just beat 3e last night post, that was hilarious!

Last edited:

Walter_J

First Post
Wolfspider said:
Here's an example of a post that may or may not be a troll. It's pretty subtle. I kinda think it's a troll, but the jury is still out....

http://www.enworld.org/messageboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6416

Judge for yourself! :D

Actually, that is the post that finally pushed my curiosity over the edge and I just HAD to ask. Considering my normally cynical nature (My day job is as a Hazardous materials manager in a Risk management office if that gives you a clue!) I am a little embarrased I didn't figure this out for myself. Then again, as far as message boards are concerned, I did most of my "growing up" over in the d20 Publishers forum and, wow, for a while you just HAD to be careful about what questions you did ask or guys with mirror shades and dark trenchcoats would come knocking on your door... It has been awfully quiet over there lately though. I guess they finally took it to the streets. :)

Thanks for the most educational replies.

Walter, Troll Guard in training.

Remove ads