• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I just made a mistake – giving away powerful items

'o Skoteinos

First Post
Very creative ideas, but as a player, I'd rather have that you'd tell me you made a mistake and *then* come up with some IC reasoning why I have to lose the item...

All the options listed here are too forced: they don't involve the players, have too powerful enemies to be beaten by the PC's and they take the sword away. I think telling the player you made a mistake and then Wolfspider's or Oni's solution to remove the weapon IC...

Numion

First Post
Nah, don't admit nuthin. you have the character sheet, right? And an eraser? Just erase the sword from his list. Never admit to anything. When he asks about it, it's just :rolleyes: What sword?

Remember: There is no sword.

:)

make the sword intelligent

and have it announce to the player that it's time to go kill a [insert name of CR 18 monster here] because that's why it is here and it will have to leave soon.

When the PCs say they aren't powerful enough to fight a [insert nasty monster] , the sword should demand to be given to a warrior of sufficient experience and mettle. The sword should have a substantial Ego or whatever and should do nasty things to the wielder (refuse to function in battle, etc) until it gets its way.

If they ask why you didn't tell them it was intelligent before, just say that "It didn't have anything to say" ;-)

Ken McKiney

Mr. Grimm

First Post
Easy. Just curse it. Every so often on a random die roll which conveniently hasn't come up, it does something particuilarly nasty. Opens a one way portal to hell that retrieves it's banished master. Turns into a powerful being that was just disguised and hiding from an ancient enemy. Sucks points away. Forces the character to suddenly be overcome with evil thoughts and begin to kill party members. Whatever works, turn it to what your current situation is. Or maybe send in creatures that target high concentrations of magic and suck it out of sword or want it for themselves.

tribeof1

First Post
I would guess that the main problem with the weapon is the holy aspect--that +2d6 against pretty much everything is pretty powerful. Personally, I hate having to just take away an item, (after-all, the PC has probably grown a little attached to the thing.) Also, later on when he's gained a few levels the sword's power level may be more appropriate. So...

I remember a magic armor in one of the first 3e Dragons that continually seeped holy water--but only as long as the fount of holy water in the original "home temple" was full. Try to think of something similar for the sword--maybe it needs to be reconsecrated at the site of its original forging--maybe the god that gave it the holy power is losing worshippers, or has been imprisoned, etc. This way, PC Ranger gets to keep 'Darkbiter', or whatever, without the holy uber-damage, and you also have a great goal or plot-hook--what does he have to do to get the sword working at full-power again?

This is something I do frequently IMC, to avoid the constant equipment upgrades. Players find a suit of armor that used to belong to a great hero, but the enchantments have degraded, so its only +1 when they find it. Getting it back to full power may require re-enchantment (and pumping in the xp and gold) or finding the missing gems that were set in the breastplate, etc.

Hope that helps,
Amos

SonOfLilith

First Post
Do what my DM did, and have a group of nince Harpies come and put him in a trance, then jack his equipment. Thats how my DM got rid of my wand of lordly might, and belt of giant strenth +4. I guess I was kinda overpowered, I mean, we where only fighting a lvl 25 lich/mage who was on a plane affected by the spell "Selective anti-magic shield" where he could cast spells and we couldn't, and non of us had any magical wepons and he had damage reduction 30/+1, and I was a 13th lvl barb, and the most powerful of the party, a belt of giant strenth and a rod of lordly might was just a little bit too powerful. ( I'm being sarcastic in case your wondering.):mad:

hong

WotC's bitch
Re: I just made a mistake – giving away powerful items

Methinkus said:
So what I’m asking is this; how would you get the item away from him without making the players feel like I was just compensating for something or that I had made a mistake – which I have, but they don’t need to know about that.

Tell him you made a mistake. All DMs slip up from time to time; there's no shame in admitting it. Trying to take away his nice new toy in-game might work, but also risks blowing up in your face.

The Oracle

First Post
Why the hell are you giving any of them anything? If it was party treasure, and he picked it, then he won't be picking anything for a long time to come. It is always bad to just give players things anyway.

rankarrog

First Post
If you really want to take it away either admit that you did something wrong or you build an adventure around it (The weapon was given by purpose, it's taken by purpose:)).

The idea that the weapon was forged to destroy a specific enemy, might be a great way to get rid of the weapon, just make it's exiting for the players and make it clear that they and the sword are humanities(*) last/best hope and that if they succeed, the weapon will be lost.

If you simply take the sword away the players will simply get frustrated, but make it clear that they'll sacrifice somthing for the greater good and they will most likely accept it.

*Humanity is small village in the middle of nowhere, the Character might become Localheroes, get fame, the everlasting thanks and quite a bit of money from the local population but not so great magic Items as the thing they are going to sacrifice by rescueing the village.

Remove ads