• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I Just Noticed Something...

wlmartin

Explorer
You think that is funny?

One of our players decided to propose an adventure to us, he wanted to see what it was like and his first encounter was a baby Tarrasque.

I spent nearly half an hour explaining that Tarrasques cant have babys.

His best line through the whole thing was "So they are like Adam & Eve?"

Yeah - A Tarrasque is like Adam & Eve

After it all I could see he was dissapointed and instead said "Ah well, Ill just make him a baby Beholder"

That made me smile.
Just like people say you never see baby pigeons anywhere - its true that I have never seen a Baby Beholder. They just seem to "pop" into existence as the size they are but what about a little beholder baby.

Perhaps when they are born they come out with only one eye and the rest grow.

Perhaps they are born with arms and legs and a head but as they grow up those things drop off (like baby teeth.... aka the Simpsons Halloween Episode where Maggie was found to be Kang the Aliens baby... Homer says "Awwww, Maggie lost her baby legs"!)

This thought had me curious for days after

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I always thought of Beholders reproducing asexually...by dropping an eyestalk here or there.

IOW, unless you actually destroy a severed eyestalk, you're just contributing to the Beholder problem when you cut 'em off in a fight.

wlmartin

Explorer
I always thought of Beholders reproducing asexually...by dropping an eyestalk here or there.

IOW, unless you actually destroy a severed eyestalk, you're just contributing to the Beholder problem when you cut 'em off in a fight.

Ahhh like the urban myth that chopping a worm in half creates 2 worms, when it doesnt and the worm dies.

Riastlin

First Post
After it all I could see he was dissapointed and instead said "Ah well, Ill just make him a baby Beholder"

That made me smile.
Just like people say you never see baby pigeons anywhere - its true that I have never seen a Baby Beholder. They just seem to "pop" into existence as the size they are but what about a little beholder baby.

Perhaps when they are born they come out with only one eye and the rest grow.

Perhaps they are born with arms and legs and a head but as they grow up those things drop off (like baby teeth.... aka the Simpsons Halloween Episode where Maggie was found to be Kang the Aliens baby... Homer says "Awwww, Maggie lost her baby legs"!)

This thought had me curious for days after

Actually I ran an encounter a few months ago with a Momma Beholder and her babies. I made the babies into a Beholder Swarm to complement the Momma and give her some protection. The encounter turned out pretty good. As for how the babies were created, I admit that I had Momma running experiments on the previous adventurers who had tried to take her out and that the babies were conceived in part, from those prior groups of adventurers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads