• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I just realized what bugs me about Warlords . . .

Exen Trik

First Post
Excuse me while I have a meltdown... :confused:

Warrior
Warster
Warstest
Warpartier
Warmain
Warmonger
Warologist
Warner Brother
Tactician
Tic-Tacian
Strategist
Strategeteer
Stratocumulous
Militant
Militazer
Militater
Militatertot
Chief
Chieftain
Chiefy
Chiefster
Chieferoonie
Da Boss
Big Cheese
Little Cheese
Extra Cheese
Hmm Cheesy
Back-Seat-Fragger
PC-Wrangler
Cat-Herder
Grognard-Slayer
Martialord
Martialist
Martial-Leader-Person
Martial-Leader-Tactician-Bossy-Charismatic-Hard-to-name-why-the-heck-is-this-class-such-a-pain-to-name-Person
Martial-Marshal-Marshall!

...Ok, I think I got that out of my system now :heh:

Hussar

Legend
I think this thread, as the other one did, proves that while warlord may be a crappy name, the combined heads here can't come up with anything better. :/

Gloombunny

First Post
I think it's more that there are lots of better names, but none of them are really ideal either, and so we can't end up agreeing on what ought to replace "warlord".

Blothar

First Post
Imp said:
And champions can be pricks too: Achilles! It's flexible that way. But the thing about Captain and Commander and Centurion (otherwise a great name) is that those all imply rank – the Warlord problem writ small. I do agree that Champion isn't really perfectly aligned with the "leader of men" concept, but nothing really is without having specific connotations that mess things up. It does however have the virtue of implying that the class is charisma-powered.

I agree that Centurion denotes rank, but it is much more obscure than Captain, Marshall, and Commander. Its also a rank that has not been used IRL for more than 1500 years, so I feel that rank should not be an issue.

The main drawback I see is that some people might find issue with the name beacuase they might not like a "roman" name for one of the classes, since D&D is more western middle ages inspired.

Zaruthustran said:
Great example! "Emperor" requires that the title-bearer is the leader of an empire. So no, it doesn't make sense as a base class.

To go with your example, I'll grant that "Warlord" implies that the title-bearer is the leader of a warband. Which he is, if you consider the party to be a warband.

So the class name "Warlord" is the perfect descriptor for a martial character class that fills the "leader" role in a D&D party.

Actually, the Latin word imperator means leader, commander; it was later used of the Roman emperors. In fact, it derives straight from imperium, an order or command or the right to issue one -- authority. By metonimy, it came to mean the whole Roman political unit.

Blothar said:
I agree that Centurion denotes rank, but it is much more obscure than Captain, Marshall, and Commander. Its also a rank that has not been used IRL for more than 1500 years, so I feel that rank should not be an issue.

The main drawback I see is that some people might find issue with the name beacuase they might not like a "roman" name for one of the classes, since D&D is more western middle ages inspired.

Right, because obviously Druids and Bards are very Middle Ages.

Ok, I'll get to the point: People dislike particular names for being too specific, or outside of a trope or whatever else they may argue, but let's be honest: D&D invents its own tropes. There's no reason to have Ancient Celtic classes mixed into Western Medieval lore, except for the fact that Gary liked Celts and, apparently, didn't like Romans. I think that whatever previous conceptions people bring to the table when they start D&D are going to be paved over by the great steamroller that is the game itself; not wanting to be picking on Druids, but when you think of Druids in a D&D context, which comes first to mind: polymorphing into a bear or a golden sickle?

When the time comes, we'll get used to refer to Warlords as Warlords and some beautiful day, we are going to read on the news about feuding warlords somewhere in Africa and immediately think of them using the Shout of Courage ability or whatever at one another, before thinking of them as ruthless men commanding armed militias...

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Malhost Zormaeril said:
Actually, the Latin word imperator means leader, commander; it was later used of the Roman emperors. In fact, it derives straight from imperium, an order or command or the right to issue one -- authority. By metonimy, it came to mean the whole Roman political unit.
Ironically, alongside the slogan S.P.Q.R., "the Senate and Roman People" (SENATUS POPULUSQUE ROMANUS), indicating the Republic.

Remove ads