• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I killed Tarrasque and all I got was this lousy t-shirt!

Yig

First Post
If only we had found a t-shirt...

Last night our party killed Big T.

Our party is composed of 3 PCs and each has a cohort.

The party:

Warmage 19 (me)
Fighter 19
Fighter 14/Occult Slayer 5

Cleric 17
Wizard 17
Bard 17

The whole fight lasted a long.... 5 rounds :)

Of course, since none of the casters had a Wish/Miracle prepared, the fighters had to hack at it all night long to keep it from regenerating :)

But the cleric had Freedom of Movement prepared twice so that made the fight rather easy.

The only thing my character did in this fight was getting hit by her own Orb of Acid :\ and failling SR rolls. Fortunatley, it was only a regular Orb, not my usual Maximized-Empowered one since it would have killed me.

The funny thing is: we got 2850 xp from that fight .... And it cost 5000 xp to cast Wish.

Anybody else got disapointing stories with the Tarrasque ?

Crothian

First Post
how did they hack it all night? No way they could make the con checks needed to do that. Or did that just get hand waved....

THe Big T is not a tough encounter really. It has some good defenses, but its attacks are easy for a mid level Party to avoid let alone a high level one.

A'koss

Explorer
I've got a pretty funny T-Kill story which exposed a rather significant spell abuse in 3e.

I threw a tarrasque at the PCs in a modified Isle of the Ape adventure. The wizard player had just been itching to try this new tactic he'd thought of just to mess with me. And now I had given him the perfect target.

It's what I'd later come to call "The Cube of Death". Shapechange in 3e allowed you to transform yourself into inanimate matter up to 200' a side (IIRC). So the wizard just flew up in the air and promptly shapechanged into a 200' a side adamantine D6 and just dropped on the Tarrasque. At around 2 million tons or so all that was left was T-patte. He actually flew back up into the air and dropped a couple more times just to spite me... After that he was a one-man demolition crew - castles, villages (see: "Bowling Ball of Death") or any poor sap he didn't like caught out in the open. Let's just say I nerfed that spell long before 3.5e had a chance to...

Cheers!

Trainz

Explorer
Crothian said:
how did they hack it all night? No way they could make the con checks needed to do that. Or did that just get hand waved....

THe Big T is not a tough encounter really. It has some good defenses, but its attacks are easy for a mid level Party to avoid let alone a high level one.

(I'm the DM...)

It was at the end of the gaming session, and I estimated that with their spells and weapons they could actually pull it off, so in order to move things along what would possibly boring and tedious, I just assumed they achieved it.

That said, in a campaign a few years back I was a player in a 3 PC party all of level 20, and we met T. We had no freedom of movement prepared...

... TPK.

Trainz

Explorer
Yig said:
The funny thing is: we got 2850 xp from that fight .... And it cost 5000 xp to cast Wish.

Well actually it was 2850 xp PER PLAYER and the cohorts got 2550 each, for a total party XP gain of 16200 xp. Only one character lost 5000 xp from the wish, so it's still a gain of 11200 xp overall.

But I agree, it's kind of anticlimatic after killing what is supposed to be an uber-unique critter...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads