• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I killed the Iconics. Twice in one night.

Sinistar

I agree with you. It was fun, and a good way to see some staples in action. The Beholder was the greatest as far as I was concerned. It even helped me to come to grips with the 3e Displacer Beast. I still don't like it (artistically), but the one in this DVD is really cool.

I was very surprised with the way the "typical" choices turned out. I thought it was pretty interesting. I still need to go through it a couple more times and try some sure-death choices. I may actually not die. We will see. I have seen the "happy" ending, and I have to say, it isn't what I would consider that Happy...

Iced Tea

First Post
do the battles look anything like you would imagine battles to look like? i saw some of the fights and it was fun figuring out spells even though i say they did somethings wrong :)

Gnarlo

Gnome Lover
Supporter
The battles are cool to watch, and pretty much what I picture D&D battles looking like :) Loved the Beholder, too.

And the nicest part to me was seeing a depiction of Mialee that makes me understand how little half-elves get made, as opposed to that... thing.... in the PHB :)

WizarDru

Adventurer
Gnarlo said:
The battles are cool to watch, and pretty much what I picture D&D battles looking like :) Loved the Beholder, too.

And the nicest part to me was seeing a depiction of Mialee that makes me understand how little half-elves get made, as opposed to that... thing.... in the PHB :)

Yeah, Mialee was OK...but Lidda is hot. Now you know why halfings are the most popular demihuman demographic. :)

Wolfen Priest

First Post
So... was the animation closer to the movie Final Fantasy, say? Or was it more akin to something from a cut-scene from a typical console video game?

It does sound pretty interesting, but someone mentioned there are only 4 real endings? Those old "choose your own adventure" books had more than that!

WizarDru

Adventurer
The animation quality, Ranger Wickett's opinion notwithstanding, is pretty good. It's not on the part with Square or Blizzard's finest work, but it's pretty good, and easily the match of most video games or TV work.

There are only four endings, but several scenes play out differently, or give you different choices, depending on the path you take. It's genuinely fun, and I can recommend it for that reason, alone. A 'special edition' is coming out in september, with 15 more minutes of material and 2 more endings. Speculation is that they were part of the original, but just hadn't been finished in time. :)

ShadowX

First Post
WizarDru said:

Yeah, Mialee was OK...but Lidda is hot. Now you know why halfings are the most popular demihuman demographic. :)

Whats with this Lidda is hot thing? Is this a running joke or is there some substance to this claim?

MerakSpielman

First Post
Yup, it's a pretty fun DVD. Took me and my wife forever to find the 4th ending - the one where everybody survives (including the cleric).

Last edited:

MerakSpielman

First Post
Gnarlo said:

The Beholder actually irked me a bit. There was no hint of intelligence in it - it was just a mindless "kill kill kill" animal. I wanted to see it firing off three or four rays each round at the very least.

WizarDru

Adventurer
MerakSpielman said:
The Beholder actually irked me a bit. There was no hint of intelligence in it - it was just a mindless "kill kill kill" animal. I wanted to see it firing off three or four rays each round at the very least.

I took that to be because it was 'bound' according to the druid. I'm assuming they 'dumbed it down', both for the trap (a smart beholder with a few centuries on his hands would have escaped) and for the story, as it would have meant another character with a speaking part.

And he does use multiple eyebeams once, when he turns one of the lesser druids to stone and then disintegrates him right after. Which was nasty.

And for the record, ShadowX, it may be a running gag for some others, but I think Lidda is a babe. Mialee looks much better here than in the PHB, though.

Last edited:

Remove ads