• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"I know the spell to solve the problem!"

Utility magic that replace skills and or roleplay, bug or feature?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
A more accurate comparison would be choosing to run a fighter who uses lighter weapons and light-medium armor, thereby choosing not to use at least one free feat of his own, namely heavy armor proficiency. Possibly 2 if he's a TWF build, eschewing the use of his freebie shield proficiency feat.

You gain something by using lighter weapons (a dex based fighter is viable through feats), especially a TWF build. You also gain something by choosing lighter armor, specifically the DEX bonus to AC. Since you are using light weapons and light armor, assuming you are not voluntarily hamstringing yourself and take proper feats, you now use AC both for hitting AND to better your AC (plus significant other benefits if you are a TWF). This is a tradeoff but it is not necessarily a sacrifice. You are giving up something to get something. Unless, again, you for some reason choose to not take the proper feats and are voluntarily hamstringing yourself - but this is a choice.

Since the scribe scroll feat is free, the xp cost is negligible and the gp cost almost so(literaly for low level spells it is a few experience points and under 100 gold which at mid to high levels is barely within bookkeeping guidelines) the mage gives up nothing but versatility and effectiveness (so yes it is more akin to a fighter voluntarily sacrificing to-hit).

The main point, that the 3e wizard can easily and with little effort or sacrifice step on the toes of other classes (while they cannot do so to him without great effort and expense) is IMO a bug not a feature.

That you choose not to do so does not mean it is not a bug.

Nightson

First Post
Feature.

Yes, the wizard can step on the toes of other party members. I some cases this should be tweaked like making knock require an arcana check.

But fundamentally, I want quadratic wizards in my game. I want magic to get powerful and scary as it gets higher in level. I want the wizard to be able to fly above the battlefield and rain down lightning bolts, fireballs and cloudkill spells.

The 3rd edition D&D books were the first roleplaying books I ever cracked open and they really shaped what that fantasy looks like for me. And the power and utility of magic is a big part of that.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I can tell you that in my own experience, that it really is not a problem, at all, if the GM is doing his job.

The wizard wants a dozen scrolls of Knock? It costs money, and takes time. Go ahead, take all the time you want to make a dozen scrolls.... :devil: Then be surprised when the spell does not prevent the traps from going off.

Being able to buy scrolls does not meant that the scrolls are already made, and gathering dust in a shop, so the caster hired to make the scrolls will take the same time as a caster in the party.

In practice the casters in my games tend to carry a few scrolls - clerics creating scrolls to deal with the 'doesn't happen often, but we need to fix this now' problems like being blinded, deafened, poisoned....

The wizard tends to have a few utility spells and at least one combat spell.

None of them rustle when they walk, and if they carry too many then they will have to take a round or two to get the right one.

The rogue finds plenty to do, and is often the party's face man into the bargain. (Not every party has a bard or sorcerer. In the game that I am currently playing in my paladin is the face man.) They are often the team's engineer, for all intents and purposes.

Wands tend to be offensive in nature - in spite of my recommending a wand of cure light wounds. Not every party tries to outfit themselves to maximum advantage. The only wands of Knock that the parties have used have been ones that they find. (They would find more if here wasn't a rogue.)

Play experience varies.

The Auld Grump

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
High Dex fighters are my favorite kind, but while they are viable, but they are not the equal of the Str based, heavier armored builds. The effective Str feats have much shorter chains with lesser prerequisites.

And just because the time and XP cost may be small- which isn't true for higher level scrolls- doesn't mean a player will be willing to pay those costs...nor that he is foolish for opting not do do so.

The point remains- a spell slot utilized for a utility spell is perforce not available at a later point in the day for an attack or defense spell.

LostSoul

Adventurer
I'm playing 3.5E right now, a Wizard-based caster with Craft Wondrous Item, and I find that I never have enough time to learn all the spells in my spellbooks, let alone scribe them. The DM has done a good job there.

I'd rather that there was more advice in the DMG on how and why you'd want to put pressure on time as a resource.

'You! Paladin! You insult my honor by detecting evil in my home!?! We will meet on the field of honor in the morning!' Says the much higher level lord of the manor....

The Paladin's ability to detect magic is a spell-like ability, which means it has "no verbal, somatic, material, focus, or XP components". There's no easy way to detect its casting.

FireLance

Legend
The point remains- a spell slot utilized for a utility spell is perforce not available at a later point in the day for an attack or defense spell.
This is true, and it is a significant opportunity cost at low levels. At higher levels, however, the opportunity cost of a 2nd-level spell (such as knock) is relatively small (wizards are quadratic, remember? ;)).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The Paladin's ability to detect magic is a spell-like ability, which means it has "no verbal, somatic, material, focus, or XP components". There's no easy way to detect its casting.
That's true, but it still requires time, concentration, and direction. In a magic savvy world, an acute observer might be well aware of the meaning of a Paladin's stare...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
At higher levels, however, the opportunity cost of a 2nd-level spell (such as knock) is relatively small

Depending upon playstyles, of course: I personally haven't played a single-classed caster in 3.X, meaning that even at higher PC levels, those opportunity costs will remain high.

In addition, at higher levels, the rogue isn't so concerned about knock stepping on his toes- he's got bigger fish to fry- at which point we return to the same status as before. Which of his 2 or 3 higher level spells would a high level Mage be willing to give up in order to be able to mimic a rogue's role?

And would you be willing to spend the time and XP to make it into a scroll?

Last edited:

Remove ads