• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I know this has been asked a million times before but...Good Starter RPG

Hackmaster

Explorer
Stay away from Serenity!

Horrible game for people who are new to the hobby. It's a nice looking book but unfortunately the rules are poorly written and explained. The nice folks at MWP went on and did a much better job with later games like Battlestar Gallactica, but Serenity was a dud. If you are dead set on it, I'd recommend getting one of the other MWP core books like BSG to help you make sense of the Serenity Travesty.

Personally I'd suggest something like the new Mongoose Traveller if you want to play a Firefly type of game.

If you are looking for fantasy, there is a new D&D starter set out with some quick start rules and all the stuff you need to play a few sessions for under $20. This is a good way to 'try out' the system before spending big bucks on the full core books. Alternatively, Hackmaster Basic can deliver a lot of bang for the buck and has a full 'quick start' section at the beginning and a detailed example of play that makes it fairly accessible to new players.

Savage Worlds is a good system that's easy to learn and the plot point campaign books provide a good blend of setting information and pre-written adventures. Definitely worth checking out.

Just about anything from Eden Studios is a good choice as well. Conspiracy X for x-files type games, Witchcraft, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, All Flesh Must Be Eaten are all great systems but you'll have to do all of your own adventure writing.

Lastly, The new World of Darkness books are pretty easy to pick up. The core book will get you started with the system and allow you to play a game centered around mortals and if you like it, you can pick up one of the other books to focus on your choice of supernatural (Vampires, Werewolves, Wizards, Faery, Hunters etc.)

Lots of great choices out there, but Serenity isn't one of them (Which saddens me)

Treebore

First Post
An excellent question! What would be the best starter RPG? Its been so long since I have been a "Starting" RPG player I don't know if I could honestly determine what would be easiest to play.

Serenity may be as simple as stated, but its still a lot to absorb.

There are a lot of "starter" sets, or "Quickstart" rules around, so you may be best served finding all the free ones and do some reading. The one, or ones, you feel things click with is probably your best to start with.

Blackbrrd

First Post
4e dnd basics can be explained in 15-20 minutes, and a character can be built with the character generator in a minute using the auto build feature. You can actually download a starter kit for free here: D&D Test Drive

ggroy

First Post
For something like a 4E D&D starter kit, I think it should have been something like a box set consisting of the 4E quickstart rules with Keep on the Shadowfell and some dice. Something similar to the old Holmes or Moldvay basic D&D box sets with Keep on the Borderlands.

Melan

Explorer
I would highly recommend Labyrinth Lord or Basic Fantasy RPG, both of which are OGL games that riff off Moldvay-Cook/Marsh Basic-Expert D&D, a very good time-proven introductory RPG. They are free to download, you can buy printed copies from lulu.com, and Labyrinth Lord can also be bought at amazon.com -
Amazon.com: Labyrinth Lord (9780615150314): Daniel Proctor: Books

Yes indeed. Inexpensive, comprehensive and well-written. A perfect starter gift (you might want to add some dice and a module or two).

Remove ads