D&D General "I Like to Play D&D on My Birthday" (a poll)

True or False: "I like to play D&D on my birthday."

• True.

Votes: 51 71.8%
  • False.

Votes: 20 28.2%

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
A bonus poll today (I still plan to do another in my planned series, so don't fret).

Anyway, today is my birthday and when my wife asked me what I wanted to do for my birthday a few weeks ago, I was like "Ideally, I'd like to play D&D, but I know that's not possible." And I was right, and while we made some other fun plans it made me think of the many past birthdays I spent playing D&D when it fell on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday (in my younger days, D&D was during the day and partying came at night). Heck, one year in my 30s I convinced everyone in my group to take a personal/vacation day when my birthday fell in the middle of the week so we could play - and it was a blast. Another time, I prepped a secret birthday D&D one-off and organized a bunch of people to come over to play for a friend's big day at his wife's behest!

Anyway, what about you? Do you like playing D&D on your birthday? Have you ever gotten a chance to? It was fun as a kid, but even better as an adult when you can have a few beers along the way.

I D&D with a specific group of people the same day each week. This year, it actually did happen to fall on my birthday, which was nice. But at the stage of life I'm at, birthday celebrations generally involve family. Which means kids, in-laws, etc. Consequently, I would be much more likely to request a board game session for my birthday than an RPG session.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I answered in the negative.

Historically I usually have a regular game going on at least weekly, and my fellow players in that are some of the friends I see most frequently. So birthdays, as a once a year occasion, are normally focused instead on gathering together a larger group of family and friends I don't see as often. Or just with family, if logistics or circumstances don't allow for a larger party.

Not everybody that may visit will play D&D, so D&D and birthday celebrations are two separate events which cannot be merged.

If we can plan a D&D session on my actual birthday, then I am happy to find the nearest free weekend day for the birthday celebrations.

My wife doesn't play D&D, so yeah, I'm not about to do something that would exclude her to celebrate. If one of my regular D&D sessions falls on my birthday, that's another thing, and it becomes "It depends." Our schedules are often off (she works Saturdays, for example), so she might be working and I might as well run some D&D anyway.

Not the first thing I would ask of my wife on my b-day.

Remove ads