• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I love DMing, but I like playing too! :(

MadLordOfMilk

First Post
OK, I'm exaggerating, but time and time again I've heard the following: someone volunteers to be the GM for an RPG, and every single time they play with their friends in the future, they're "stuck" GMing.

Now, certainly, this is painting it grimly; after all, GMing is a blast! However, it seems like once players have a set person to run their games, it's "game over" for that player, he's now the GM 'til death. Whenever friends get together to play a game of D&D (or whatever other RPG you play), it usually ends up starting off, "OK, we need a DM... Sam! You're always DM, you know how to do it and none of us really do! Wanna run this game?"

Though I've had friends eventually get the GMing itch after a long time playing, it seems very rare, and the runs are usually short-lived. I love DMing, but I like playing too! Once I start running games, people never want me to stop. Sure, in one way it's an awesome compliment, but I never get to try out that cool new character I just made up. I've tried encouraging friends to run a few games, but they're nervous, have had bad experiences with it, or one of a million other reasons.

Does anyone else share this experience? Does anyone know some ways to help curb its effects (i.e. get more playtime within the same group)?

ggroy

First Post
OK, I'm exaggerating, but time and time again I've heard the following: someone volunteers to be the GM for an RPG, and every single time they play with their friends in the future, they're "stuck" GMing.

Now, certainly, this is painting it grimly; after all, GMing is a blast! However, it seems like once players have a set person to run their games, it's "game over" for that player, he's now the GM 'til death. Whenever friends get together to play a game of D&D (or whatever other RPG you play), it usually ends up starting off, "OK, we need a DM... Sam! You're always DM, you know how to do it and none of us really do! Wanna run this game?"

Though I've had friends eventually get the GMing itch after a long time playing, it seems very rare, and the runs are usually short-lived. I love DMing, but I like playing too! Once I start running games, people never want me to stop. Sure, in one way it's an awesome compliment, but I never get to try out that cool new character I just made up. I've tried encouraging friends to run a few games, but they're nervous, have had bad experiences with it, or one of a million other reasons.

Does anyone else share this experience? Does anyone know some ways to help curb its effects (i.e. get more playtime within the same group)?

I frequently got stuck with the DM job, due to previous DMs flaking out and/or the other players having very little to no interest in DMing.

So far I haven't found an equitable solution to this problem.

In the case of making up a cool character, sometimes I may bring them in as an NPC or a badguy.

DEP

First Post
Well I have been in that chair for the last 5 years...all started with a conversion I did of the ToEE to 3.5. From there, the game lasted until level 25, and then we called it there. After that, people wanted me to DM all the time. I think, in total in the last 5 years I have actually PLAYED maybe 5 sessions as a player. I miss using all the cool character concepts I come up with...now I just DM. I mean I love it, but all that time behind the screen makes me miss the time on the other side...maybe one day lol

Dzyu

First Post
I've had it sort of like you guys, except that I managed to convince two of my friends to try it out, and they're pretty good at it too.
It wasn't easy, as one of them gave up after the first few tries and didn't dare to go again after a few years when he finally decided that running a forgotten realms campaign was easier and better for him. Sadly, he moved to Sweden to study for a couple of years, but he's due back after christmas! I can hardly wait! :)
The other one has been a very good storywriter as a DM, and he's confident so the past few months since he got back from school he's been running an enjoyable campaign. The only problem is that he's using far more house rules than I'd like so players in his games usually end up overpowered.

Oh well, I'm not complaining, because, as of lately I've gotten to play a wizard to lvl 7 and that's the highest I've ever gotten as a player. :)

wedgeski

Adventurer
I've made it clear to my group that although I don't mind being the go-to DM -- which means I hold the reins of about 90% of games -- I also need to be on the other side of the screen every now and again. If I don't get a break, I tend to get burned out, and that's bad for everybody.

Happily, two of my guys have stepped up and run short interludes with their own campaigns, which have been great fun (4E character building is just too good, something you don't often get to appreciate when you're running the game).

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias

That has been my experience over the years and with several systems. Once you start running a game, and especially if you develop a reputation for running a good game, you get trapped behind the screen. Its to the point where a GM has to find a completely different group of people to game with, sort of like the GM Protection Program.

Woas

First Post
There are a number of RPGs where the line between Player and GM position is pretty thin. Perhaps branch out and have your cake an eat it too?

I live with the OP's problem. But I've imposed DMing on my other players. Unfortunately (please excuse the apparent egotism), they are not as experienced as DMs, so I enjoy my player time less than they do when I DM.

Last edited:

ggroy

First Post
I loe with the OP's problem. But I've imposed DMing on my other players. Unfortunately (please excuse the apparent egotism), they are not as experienced as DMs, so I enjoy my player time less than they do when I DM.

In my case of becoming an "egotistical DM" (for lack of a better term), it probably has more to do with attrition than actually any innate ability. I suppose this may come from DMing a lot of games over the years with people who are not really friends, but whom are more like acquaintances. With many casual players coming and going, somehow I ended up as a DM by default.

Remove ads