• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I love how Backgrounds are handled!

Tush Hog

First Post
I love the one per page and throw in some random charts to boot.

Seriously, if they made a book of all backgrounds, kind of like the WFRP 2e Career Compendium, I would buy it in a second.

Last edited:

I love the one per page and thow in some random charts to boot.

Seriously, if the made a book of all backgrounds, kind of like the WFRP 2e Career Compendium, I would buy it in a second.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see expansion books with lot of backgrounds; it seems like a logical product that would sell well and (probably) not be game-breaking.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see expansion books with lot of backgrounds; it seems like a logical product that would sell well and (probably) not be game-breaking.

I think they are good but take up a huge amount more space than they need to due to the random tables. I'd pretty annoyed if I bought an expansion book and a large part of it was backgrounds taking up entire pages each. If they keep them to their own book, that's okay, I guess, but I fear them being used as ultra-filler.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I like the Background a lot, it has cool story element, randomness and tools/skills proficiency access along with associated equipments

Agamon

Adventurer
Yep, I'm a fan. It's great as is for those that might be less imaginative and good a kickstart for those that like to come up with their own back stories.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Backgrounds have been one of my absolutely favourite elements of 5e since they were introduced -- a rich way to individuate characters from level 1.

Plus: I like the layout, and the ideas, and the one-page convenience that also communicates substance; there are a real thing for each character. The alternatives, and the basic equipment list are also flavourful

Plus: I also like the way that the mechanics have been made completely consistent:
2 skills
2 tools and/or languages
1 unique ability that ties you to the world, the "feature" (though you don't get this if you customize, which actually is an acceptable limitation).
It makes it really easy to invent new ones, without throwing the system off.

Minus: I do feel they've puled back though from how important backgrounds are for characters. In the end, background is responsible for half a character's skills (typically) (2 of 4). I really liked the importance that they represented when it was 3/4 of a character's skills typically. But I recognize this view might not have been shared by 175,000 others.

So -- overall very good, but I do feel they veered away at the last minute from being excellent.

Remove ads