• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I love The Rules Compendium!

I recently snagged a copy of The Rules Compendium, and having read much of the book, I can only say that I love it. I have played 4E from the launch in 2008, and although I'm not a fanboy, I certainly like the system very much. But I wasn't always a fan of the presentation. The rules compendium is the way 4E should have been presented from the get-go, IMHO. The first thing I noticed, was the emphasis on improvisation, both on the part of the DM and the players. The sidebars (example: page 34) explain the importance of not making every single encounter a fight and instead letting the characters attempt to solve obstacles with clever (and quite often, bizarre) ideas. A small but nice touch is the brief improv suggestions at the end of each skill description, along with a suitable DC. For example, one of the improv suggestions for Acrobatics, is "Slide down a staircase on a shield while still standing (hard DC)".

The Rules Compendium also impresses on the reader the importance of a setting. This doesn't have to be one of the established D&D settings (although it does give a short description of the campaign settings released for 4E, as well as briefly detailing the default D&D 4E world, the gods and the planes), the point is that it shows the importance of the world, and doing that in a book titled "The rules compendium" is a way of demonstrating that D&D isn't just all about rules, it is about flavour; the creation of - and immersion in - worlds of your imagination.

I also think the art direction is better in the rules compendium than in PHB1. The emphasis on setting shines through in the sense that although many pieces display combat, quite a few seem to illustrate fantastic places and characters simply exploring. I love the picture on page 81 of the lone traveller walking towards a strange city on a hill, on each side of the road running all up to the distant city are statues of mysterious robed and hooded men holding glowing lanterns. It's a shame this picture is so small, in the art gallery, it was a fullpage piece. The only chapter-opening artwork i was disapointed with, was the piece on page 262. I'm not a fan of fullpage pieces that only illustrate a single character, without background or context, especially when the character is so dull as this one (rawr I'm an elf archer! yawn snore)

The book is easy to read and reference, and so far it has proven a joy to use. However, I really missed the rules on rituals (the sidebar on page 134 was not enough). It would have been cool if the part on rituals included not just the full rules (except the write-up of the actual rituals themselves of course), but also inspirational sidebars that give DMs some help in making the players want to use rituals, maybe even how to integrate rituals into adventures in new and exciting ways. I just feel that rituals is a part of 4E that has been neglected, and maybe even the base rules don't work like they should (no one in my group ever uses rituals, they generally tend to cost too much gold and take too long to cast).

Overall, a wonderful book. I'm looking forward to reading Heroes of the fallen lands!

Last edited:

geekgazette

First Post
I agree, except I wasn't a fan of 4e when it first came out. Essentials, while not perfect, did get me interested in the game again. The presentation and tweaks made to Essentials are what has made me bring the game back to my table.

RigaMortus2

First Post
I agree, except I wasn't a fan of 4e when it first came out. Essentials, while not perfect, did get me interested in the game again. The presentation and tweaks made to Essentials are what has made me bring the game back to my table.

Just curious, but what specifically is it that Essentials changed or does differently from standard 4e that you like now?

I'm not completely sold on Essentials yet myself, but I do like the emphasis on the martial classes using basic attacks modified by things like stances and auras and such.

badmojojojo

First Post
What exactly is the Rules Compendium? Is it Essentials or is it compiled standard 4e PHB's?

I picked up a copy and agree with the OP reviewer. My understanding is that the RC is the core rule system (PHB) updated and incorporating all the current errata for 4e. It is digest format and about the size of a paperback (full color though). While part of the Essentials release product line it is still 4e. However, it does not include classes, powers, spells, magic items, etc. For those you need to turn to the PHB's (or if you prefer Essentials Heroes of the Fallen lands, etc.).

I'm not sure about how much more atmospheric the RC is. The skill examples for instance come straight out of either the DMG or PHB1. Same with all the other little notions about world creation, etc. I'm pretty sure you can find pretty much 100% of that text in the original 4e books. It stands out a bit more in the more condensed RC format is all.

It is a well designed book. I like the format. Definitely a nice book to pick up if you want a slightly improved presentation of the rules. Lots of little text cleanups and obviously all the stuff that has been tweaked since PHB1 is updated. There are still a few gray areas they didn't quite manage to clear up, but overall I think players will benefit from the new presentation. Note though that RC isn't as much of an introductory book as PHB1 was. This makes sense since you would assume players have HotFL and/or the Red Box to do the really basic rules introduction and explain classes fully. Someone with a basic understanding of RPGs can certainly pick it up and understand how 4e works.

Definitely a must-have for an Essentials DM. Great for anyone looking for a clean updated set of rules.

Truename

First Post
What exactly is the Rules Compendium? Is it Essentials or is it compiled standard 4e PHB's?

As far as I can tell, WotC is making no distinction between "Essentials rules" and "standard 4e rules." So the Rules Compendium is the compiled core rules of D&D 4e, including all updates up through September. That includes things that some people think of as "Essentials rules" like updated skill challenge rules and DCs, magic item rarity, and random treasure parcels, but the majority of the rules are identical to the (errata'd) PHB rules.

There are a few small things missing, such as detailed ritual rules, superior and double weapon rules, and masterwork armor rules. There are also no classes, races, powers, items, etc. Just the core rules.

Personally, I think it's excellent and I use it as my primary reference at the table. I love the digest size, clean presentation, and comprehensive index.

666Sinner666

First Post
I like the RC as well mainly because it now provides the entire table with a single point of reference when someone questions how a rule works or what the actual rule is. This should be something they revise again in the future if they stick with 4e for a good while longer. Maybe even release smaller supplements at the end of every year.

The only thing that could have made it even better is if they packaged it not in bound book form but in a small binder so they could simply release revised pages as rules changed or updated and players could simply pull out the old pages and insert the new ones. This is something I think they should have also done with all the books. Maybe even only release one binder that players could simply add in the supplements. One tabbed three ring binder with all the books...oh how nice dreams are.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
(rawr I'm an elf archer! yawn snore)
Hey! The "rawr" is the gnome's schtick, not the elf's!

rawr.jpg

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads