• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I m a girl get over it

gideonn

First Post
I think your experience is not of the norm, at least not today's norm. I have run game clubs in the high schools where I have taught since c. 1980. In the eighties club, there was only one girl during the three years the club lasted. But this girl did play in my outside of school game along with her father, sister, and my wife.

In the 1992-2005 clubs there have been many passing through, including two mainstays the past three years, now serving as co-presidents. These two, excellent gamers BTW, tell me that their female friends try to disuade them from staying in the club over the years, and haved refused my invitations to 'give it a try' in a girls only setting. So, here the prejudice is female, not male.

With the advent of the many 'Living' campaigns I have met many solo female gamers, as well as girlfriends, wives and other semi-attachments. Never seen any kind of problem. Our current Friday night game; some Living, some homebrew; has a regular female member with the ocassional guest woman.

If you cannot find acceptance with the Men's clubs, perhaps you have some like minded and like interested female friends who could make a group of our own. It has also been my experience that if you run a good game people will want to join it.

Just my two sense,

JJ

Vraille Darkfang said:
The 13 year old daughter of one of the guys in my game plays a rather bloodthirsty half elf/celestial cleric in the high level game & a (toned-down) nymph (one that actually wears clothes thankfully) in the low level.

I'm currently 5 months pregnant with our 1st daughter. My partner really wanted a boy so he could bring him up on all things dnd and even have a father and son gaming tag team going on. when we found out we were having a girl he was slightly dissapointed that this was no longer the case. I suggested that he could still bring her up to be a great gamer but he lacked enthusiasm....so I plan to instead!:)

MonkeyDragon

Explorer
I, too, am a woman gamer. And I say "hear hear!"

Fortunately, I haven't had any problems with my gaming group. In the games I've played, as a player and a dm, the female representation averages out at a just over 50%. And all the guys in all the games know how to treat a lady: exactly the same as you treat the guy sitting next to her. And I think that the majority of the guys here on EN World are just the same.

Still, I've heard some horror stories, and I've read some posts that make me shake my head. Lacking the search function, I can't actually cite anything, but they're speckled here and there. Although a lot of guys like to point out that they're not stereotypical, socially inept geeks, some need to remember that we are not exotic, incomprehensible alien creatures. We game because it's fun, just like you.

I will also echo the original poster: geeks are hot. Seriously, I can't imagine seeing a guy who wasn't a geek. If his eyes glaze over when I'm talking about ECLs, relating a hilarious tale of what so and so's character did last week, or mulling over a plot point in an adventure I'm working on, what on earth are we going to talk about? The real world? Psh. If he doesn't get that Sunday is gaming day, and that if he wants to see me there'd better be dice in his hand, so long! But give me a gamer guy that's confidant and proud of his geekhood, and I'll be on that like a template on an NPC. Double bonus if he posts on EN World.

My advice? First, give your boyfriend's group a shot. You might be worried about nothing. And if they give you a hard time, then drop em. Do what these other fine folks have suggested and find a group that doesn't fear a second X chromosome. Even better? Find a group of girls to play with. It might be hard to find, but a ladies night of monster smashing could be grand, grand fun.

Last edited:

Mark Hope said:
I don't get the "girls can't game" thing either - all of my past groups have had women in them. Doesn't make a blind bit of difference as far as I can tell.

But I do think you should play a solar, though...

HAHA I know but they have a really high CR and they look the biz :p I Know better now and have opted for half elf/druid.

Belen

Adventurer
Sarajaine"The Solar" said:
I'm currently 5 months pregnant with our 1st daughter. My partner really wanted a boy so he could bring him up on all things dnd and even have a father and son gaming tag team going on. when we found out we were having a girl he was slightly dissapointed that this was no longer the case. I suggested that he could still bring her up to be a great gamer but he lacked enthusiasm....so I plan to instead!:)

I am very sorry that you have not met any quality gamers. I must also say that you should knock the mess out of your partner for being such a a sexist pig-dog.

MonkeyDragon said:
I, too, am a woman gamer. And I say "hear hear!"
For a second there I read that as I am woman, here me roar. :uhoh:

Anyway, what does "near Detroit" mean? We game mostly in Canton, with players from White Lake, West Bloomfield and Dearborn. We're always on the lookout to at least meet folks in the area who game.

Lasher Dragon

First Post
Sarajaine"The Solar" said:
My original reason for writing this drivel was that girls seemed to get a severe mocking when it comes to having an interest in Dnd.

Whaaaaa? What planet are you from? I have tried in vain for years to get women I dated to try D&D. I am married now and have tried numerous times to elicit some interest from her in something I love and play once a week and every other weekend. It confounds me that most women have little or no interest in it because as children, girls love to roleplay. I've never heard of a woman being ridiculed for an interest in D&D, in fact it is the opposite in my experience. IME when you hear of a woman gamer, 95% of the time the reaction is "Really? Cool!"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads