• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I miss Dual Classing and the power of nostalgia

prosfilaes

Adventurer
SuStel said:
It's just a game, not a simulation. "Dual-classing" versus "multi-classing" is just meant to further demonstrate the dominance of humanity over the non-humans, just like level limits.

I didn't see anyone here arguing that it should be a simulation. If it's just a game, then I think one of the problems is that most of us don't find demonstrating the dominance of humanity over the non-humans adds to our fun.

SuStel

First Post
prosfilaes said:
I didn't see anyone here arguing that it should be a simulation.

No, but they are saying they don't like it because it "doesn't make sense."

If it's just a game, then I think one of the problems is that most of us don't find demonstrating the dominance of humanity over the non-humans adds to our fun.

Go complain to Gary, then, because that's how he sees it.

Now, look at a map of Conan's world, and tell me where the non-human empires are.

Spatula

Explorer
Gary Gygax isn't a living god, he's a friendly and smart fellow who helped to create a hobby that we all enjoy. He has stupid ideas from time to time, the same as the rest of us. The dual-classing rules were one of them (the cavalier was another...).

And D&D is most certainly a simulation (as well as a game - the two are very compatible). It grew out of wargames, which are also simulations. "Simulation" doesn't mean a perfect, down-to-the-last-detail rendition - all simulations abstract away huge amounts of details in order to function smoothly.

khyron1144

First Post
Dual Classing

My first real attempt to use the old dual-classing rules was in the construction of an NPC for a 1e campaign. My world's version of the Grandfather of Assassins. A 15h level Assassin/ 29th level fighter/ 30th level Magic-User. This was less than five years ago, and it still strikes me now as adolescent DM powertripping.

I do think it is a cool idea.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Unless you're GM was house ruling a lot of things, dual class sucked. Not being able to use your old abilities until your new level passed your old level? Ugh.

khyron1144

First Post
Spatula said:
Gary Gygax isn't a living god, he's a friendly and smart fellow who helped to create a hobby that we all enjoy. He has stupid ideas from time to time, the same as the rest of us. The dual-classing rules were one of them (the cavalier was another...).

Okay, he's not a living god. Not sure I can go with that because I'm an animist, so me, you, Gygax, and my two cats, are all living gods to me. But using the term in the largely figurative sense that you probably meant it, I will concede.

But let me ask you this: Whose word would you take on a Conan-related dispute: Robert E. Howard's (the author who wrote the original Conan stories for Weird Tales way back when), Arnold Schwarzenegger's (the actor who portrayed Conan), or Roy Thomas's (the writer/ editor of what is considered to be the classic era of Marvel's Conan comics)?

Basically I think Gygax has that authorial level of authority in D&D realms.

Ranger REG

Explorer
khyron1144 said:
Basically I think Gygax has that authorial level of authority in D&D realms.
Not Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance or the original Blackmoor (that's D&D co-creator Dave Arneson's baby).

Just Greyhawk. But then there is the Carl Sargent's version of GH.

prosfilaes

Adventurer
SuStel said:
Go complain to Gary, then, because that's how he sees it.

Living god or not, I don't care how Gary sees it; if it ain't fun, it ain't fun.

Now, look at a map of Conan's world, and tell me where the non-human empires are.

So? I don't need to drag those details into the rules, especially if it's not a simulation. Furthermore, I'm not playing in Conan's world, so that detail is less than interesting to me.

Remove ads