I need a great role playing game that is played in short bursts.

aramis erak

Legend
Mouse Guard, at least with the intended GM+2-4, has a strict structure that typically results in 1-2 hours for a session. It's easily expanded from that. Only caveat - players should play a pregen a few sessions to get the feel for what the skill levels actually mean. It does have a campaign mode, but that campaign mode is highly episodic.

Almost any Trek game should do nicely for the episodic nature, as long as the GM doesn't overdo the adventure itself.
Likewise, many Espionage and Black Ops type games can be set up for easily episodic games, because they're mission oriented. Police type games can be, if handled right, equally well suited for one-shots. Same with Supers.
For military, Recon is a decent choice.
For Black ops, almost any trad game with decent combat works; Hollowpoint (VSCA) is a more narrativist game focused upon the genre as a storygame. Palladium's Recon is also a decent choice.
Recon can be used for straight up patrol scenarios, too.
Albedo is an anthropomorphic military game; the older edition is less focused mechanically,
Star Trek games are pretty obvious. Prime Directive One combines Black Ops and Military Strikes with a Militaristic Trek setting.
SOme of the lighter Supers games make for great one-and-done games - TSR's Advanced Marvel Super Heroes, MWP's Marvel Heroic (which, de-marvel'ed, is due to return as Cortex Plus Heroic Roleplaying).

SOme of the more scripted Storygames can be surprisingly fun one-and-dones... Cosmic Patrol works really well for that, but lacks character generation... however, the raft of pregens are quite flexible, and can be easily customized. Valiant Universe is the same engine, but a different setting.

Feng Shui 2 would be a good choice, especially if one keeps it mission oriented with police or conspiracy assigned missions.

JeffB

Legend
I read up on Dungeon World and decided to order the book on amazon so thanks!

I almost tried Fate Core but...Dungeon World would be a smoother change.

It's a ton of fun!

I bought the book too, but you can download everything needed to play on the Sage Kobold website for free. Character sheets, and the GM and player move sheets. I ran my first game with just those for several sessions. There are some expanded discussions of moves and gm'ing in the book that make it worth picking it up.

On the website is the "Guide to Dungeon World" which is also free and a must read, IMO. The Google+ Community is super active and there is a Monster Manual of sorts online called the Dungeon World Codex.

Last edited:

Warrior Poet

Explorer
I read up on Dungeon World and decided to order the book on amazon so thanks!

I almost tried Fate Core but...Dungeon World would be a smoother change.

Victory! Congratulations on finding a good option. Good luck, hope the games continue to be great for you, your son, and daughter-in-law! :cool:

Still learning,

Robert

SailorNash

Explorer
For short bursts, I always recommend Toon. Not fantasy gaming of course, but playtime is supposed to be only 30 minutes an episode. Character creation is mostly random table rolls, so doesn't take too long as well. Lots of fun, but more as a vehicle to get to the fun improv stuff, more than a serious character analysis.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
My group did a campaign that was made of a string of one-shots that were linked together. Each session was a short story arc that we completed in that one session. Because our group's availability is sporadic these days the sessions happened irregularly. We used Fate Accelerated and its flexible rules and easy entry to characters and their abilities made learning and playing the characters easily done.

RedSiegfried

First Post
Now, if you had a game with abstract positioning, light rules, and an action economy system without an emphasis on sequential turns, then you'd have something that might play well on Google...
Ghostbusters RPG from West End Games matches this description almost exactly. Seriously.

Unfortunately, it's probably out of print, but not impossible to find.

Remove ads