• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I need a Jack Vance recommendation

aurin777

First Post
Just as the title says, I'm looking to delve into some of Vance's work, but I would like a recommendation of where to start. Anyone have any helpful suggestions?
~~Brandon

the Jester

Legend
I recently read his Dying Earth books and really enjoyed them. I got them in a consolidated hardback from the library, not sure what the actual title of the first one is- I think Tales of the Dying Earth maybe?

Khorod

First Post
I've read some of Tales of Dying Earth. I hear the last one about the archmage is cool.

The ones about Cugel- don't read them unless you're stranger than I. I hate the character & don't care about him to such a degree that it was a force of will to finish his first book. When I saw the next novel about him it was a will save not to throw it against the wall.

No offense to Vance partisans. But that character. Man, it must be well written, I have a more complex reaction to the guy than to many actual people.

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
"Tales of the Dying Earth", $13.27 Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...6029826/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_2/102-3721435-3821716

I'd also recommend Roger Zelazny's "The Great Book of Amber : The Complete Amber Chronicles, 1-10"! It's value-priced at only $16.07, so a big steal!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-3721435-3821716?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Actually, this is the book that I'm reading RIGHT NOW! Maybe you and I can start a book club and discuss? :)

Anyhow, Gary Gygax read these books a long time ago and recommends them if you'd like a better understanding of his thought process for creating D&D.

The Vance books supposedly inspired how spells were cast in the original game. That's why a lot of people refer to D&D magic as a Vancian "fire and forget" system.

Last edited:

Khorod said:
The ones about Cugel- don't read them unless you're stranger than I. I hate the character & don't care about him to such a degree that it was a force of will to finish his first book. When I saw the next novel about him it was a will save not to throw it against the wall.
LOL! :) I had the exact same reaction to the Cugel stories. In fact I was so put off that I never did read the second Cugel novel, or the tales about Rhialto the Marvelous. Maybe I should give Vance another chance?

[singing] All we are saaaay-ing... is give Vance a chance....[/singing]

Er - apologies to anyone who now has that sing-song stuck in their head!

Richards

Legend
Breaking down the "Dying Earth" books for you, in case you can't find the collection:

The Dying Earth - a collection of short stories
The Eyes of the Overworld - first novel with Cugel the Clever
Cugel's Saga - second novel with Cugel the Clever
Rhialto the Marvellous - novel about a group of bickering wizards

I also have seen an oversized, illustrated book called Moreillion, which is an except from Rhialto the Marvellous.

I can see why some people didn't like the Cugel books - Cugel the Clever is a despictable individual: opportunistic, lazy, and interested only in his own well-being. Some people I know refuse to watch "Seinfeld" because they just can't stand the character of George Costanza; he's also a pretty despicable character, but that's what makes him such a great character! I feel the same way about Cugel.

By the way, you can pretty much read any of the four books above in any order, as even the two Cugel novels are relatively standalone.

The "Lyonesse" books are a different series, but also highly recommended. They take place in Earth's past (as opposed to millions of years in the future, as the "Dying Earth" books do), around the time of King Arthur or so. Those books are:

Lyonesse: Suldrun's Garden
Lyonesse: The Green Pearl
Madouc

These, however, are very much a trilogy and should be read in order.

Johnathan

drnuncheon

Explorer
I can't believe people don't like the Cugel books because of the character. Sure, he's despicable - but then again, so is everybody else he meets. The books are great because he never rips off anyone who doesn't richly deserve it - and when the tables are turned on him, you have the satisfaction of knowing he deserves it just as much. Those two books are hilarious.

Then again, I like heist movies and 'con' movies too, so...

J

wortworm

First Post
The Cugel books are dead funny examples of black humor with a cynical eye towards the human condition, while also being excellent fantasy adventure fiction, written with Vance's unique stylism. There's plenty to like or not, according to the reader's prelidictions, but I found them very enjoyable.

The Lyonesse books might be a tad more accessable, but still possessing Vance's remarkable inventiveness of plot and verbal nuance.

I would, however, recommend his Demon Princes books (several books collected in two currently in print omnibusses). It's (nominally) a science fiction series which is pure Vance brilliance.

Remove ads