• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I Need Advice From D&D Folks...

Thunt

First Post
I hope I'm not bugging anyone by posting this in the General Area, but I genuinely need to ask advice from everyday D&Ders...

I started this D&D webcomic a few weeks ago and everything was going well. I'd get emails and forum threads telling me to keep up the good work. But my latest update has somehow sparked a whole bunch of angry emails. That's right... honest to gosh 'angry'!

Okay, so it's not the funniest thing I've ever put into the comic, but people are mad at me for all kinds of reasons. Now here's the part where I found it necessary to bother the D&D community about this...

The people who have been emailing me to flame me are non D&D players. Some of the rants include "and what the hell is a kender??" and "why is he called Fumbles if he doesn't even seem clumsy?" etc. Never the less, all this flaming has brought me down and I'm wondering if it's merely cause most of these people don't understand D&D or what I'm doing or if what I'm doing genuinely sucks. So D&D people... does it suck? Should I throw in the towel and get some sun?

"You should have one goblin be retarted, now THAT would be funny!" ...ug...

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I'd just ignore them, really. People will always find something to complain about and the instant connectivity we have now just magnifies that all out of proportion.

Crothian

First Post
I'd do a special comic or have a link telling people its a D&D dirived comic and include some sort of FAQ to asnwer peoples questions. I'd ignore the flames, as long as you enjoy it don't worry about the stupid people.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Don't sweat the flamers. The intro says it's a D&D comic, they should assume that some of the terms come from D&D and, dare I say, LOOK IT UP THEMSELVES.

Anyway, your comic has been dutifully bookmarked. It's been pretty good so far.

reveal

Adventurer
I think it's funny as heck and will make sure to read the new one every Saturday/Sunday. Keep it up! Screw the people who flame you. You got a nitch and need to embrace it. :)

Henry

Autoexreginated
I'd say don't worry about it. Even Scott Kurtz and Rich Berlew started somewhere. :)

The most important reason you have for that webcomic is the most important reason people write story hours here -- for themselves first, and for fans second. If you enjoy it as a creative outlet for you, and other people come along for the ride, that's the important thing. When you don't enjoy it, it's not worth doing.

If you're interested in sprucing it up and making a full-blown site to showcase the comic, there are a number of free HTML editors out and about that would help with that, take the drudgework out and make changes a snap. Some examples include HotHTML professional and Webdesign.

The only request I have would be if you would change your background color from the olive green it currently is to something slightly lighter, OR if you could change your text to White, or light-colored. The dark text and background are drowning one another out.

Keep on Keepin' on!

Henry

Autoexreginated
Wystan said:
First comic comes up blank in firefox... :(

Actually I'm using Firefox 1.0.4, and it came up fine for me -- you may want to double check, or even empty cache and try it again.

JimAde

First Post
The volume at which people speak (or write) seems to be inversely proportional to how much they actually have to say. :)

I enjoy your stuff and I'm glad I found this thread. I remember when you posted your first strip here I liked it very much, but I didn't know where to find it.

Goblins gets added to my weekly comics list. Thanks.

Edit: By the way, the link on your page to Comic Genesis is broken. It points to "comicgenesis.com" but the actual URL is "comicgen.com".

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads