• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I need advice on a Warlock build

EroGaki

First Post
Hello all,

I'm in the process of creating a 6th level character for an upcoming game. I've decided on a warlock, but haven't decided on the details. The idea is that this character suffers from an insatiable curiosity and ended up attracting the attentions of Neth, the Plane that Lives.

Neth was first introduced in A Guide to the Ethereal Plane, a source book from the Planescape setting in 2e. Briefly, it is a living, sentient membrane the size of a continent that exists as it's own demiplane and which is characterized by an immense curiosity about everything outside of itself. Visitors to Neth are usually interviewed before being either captured via suspended animation or absorbed by the plane.

I thought it would be interesting to play a fast talking explorer who gained Neth's attention and made a deal to avoid being absorbed: act as Neth's eyes and ears on the Prime Material Plane in exchange for powers. Since both are curious and desire more and more information, it turned out to be a good deal on both ends.

The issue I'm having trouble with is the execution of the character. I can't decide how to build him. My stats are 12, 12, 13, 14, 12, 16. I think Great Old One would make the most sense, but I can't decide on getting the familar vs the tomb. An improved familiar would offer immense scouting and spying ability, while the tomb would allow me to use information seeking rituals like Commune and Contact Other Plane.

In addition, I'm still undecided on a race, or whether or not I'll multiclass; starting out with a level of bard would enable me to have 4 more spells known, including Cure Wounds.

Thoughts?

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
1) Neph as a Great Old One: Excellent choice!

2) I'm so used to using the Standard Array when creating a PC that it took me a moment when I read that you had not decided on a race yet; I thought those numbers included both the race and 4th-level ability bumps already. I idiot-slapped myself when I remembered that some gamers strongly prefer rolling their scores.

3) I'd vote for the Tome Pact over the Chain, but that's just a gut-feeling that it fits your warlock's circumstances better.

4) A single level of bard to kick things off would dove-tail into the PC's storyline nicely, in addition to the benefits you mentioned.

EroGaki

First Post
Yup, our group primarily roles for our stats, something I've noticed is increasingly uncommon these days. :p

My first instinct would be tome for the sheer versatility, but familiar seems to fit more; Neth would assign a 'helper' to assist in the information hoarding.

First Post
I'm in love with the Warlock but given your stats and story:

Go with Tome. Get the Book of Ancient Secrets Invocation and select Find Familiar as a Ritual (if there isn't a kind Wizard in your party that will let you copy it). It's like Neth taught you to find a helper through seeking more knowledge. Your Tome could directly transfer the information in it (new rituals you learn) to Neth.

I don't really see a reason for your character to multiclass but I will suggest Draconic Sorcerer 1 for the Constitution saves (keeps Hex active), AC 13+DEX, and 4 cantrips, not to mention the Shield spell and possibly Absorb Elements (TOEE) for when things might hurt you. You'll still have 3rd level spells with Warlock 5. Maybe your Charisma with dragons also works on demiplanes :p

I'm also a fan of Mask of Many Faces for another Invocation. Since you're starting at 6th level, you can hide your true self from your party!

Remove ads