• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I need an adventure hook, fast!

MadLordOfMilk

First Post
I'm planning on running a paragon tier one-shot adventure Wednesday night with my D&D group, but I'm drawing a complete blank for adventure ideas! We've been playing in a heroic tier Eberron campaign, but we decided a paragon one-shot would be a nice break :)

There'll be 7 players (not counting DM), with ~5hrs to play.

So, I ask: Anyone have a completely awesome adventure hook? The crazier, the better! :D

Freakohollik

First Post
You could roll on that table in the 3e DMG. Is there something similar in the 4e DMG? Otherwise, just start flipping through the monster manual, something will come to you.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Battle in the Skies: The Great Airship Race!

A recent poisoning has left one spot open in the annual competition among nobles of a nearby kingdom. Sadly, it is the uncle of one of the PCs who has been the victim of this treachery. Worse yet, his forfeiture means the loss of his lands (and your inheritance, since he has no children of his own). He's still alive but figuring out who shunted him aside might be the only way to secure and antidote, and the only way to find out who might have the antidote and save his holdings is by participating in this cutthroat contest. Good luck, Flyboys!

MadLordOfMilk

First Post
There isn't anything similar in the 4e DMG, and I don't own the 3e one. D'oh!

But, that does give me the idea of flipping through the DMG - various parts of it have always made me start coming up with various adventure ideas. Thanks! :)

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Battle in the Skies: The Great Airship Race!

A recent poisoning has left one spot open in the annual competition among nobles of a nearby kingdom. Sadly, it is the uncle of one of the PCs who has been the victim of this treachery. Worse yet, his forfeiture means the loss of his lands (and your inheritance, since he has no children of his own). He's still alive but figuring out who shunted him aside might be the only way to secure and antidote, and the only way to find out who might have the antidote and save his holdings is by participating in this cutthroat contest. Good luck, Flyboys!

I just have to say, this is a really cool idea!

caudor

Adventurer
Lord Baron has been writing bad letters to the empire...uh, no.

I suggest you take a look at Hags. There is something cool about Hags, but you don't really see them often in play. Perhaps a covey of hags are intent on building an altar of bones for a dark ritual. To speed things along, they have abducted a child of an important noble and threaten to sacrifice the child unless the bones of seven known heroes are delivered to them by a certain date.

The noble is desparate to the point of madness and demands your help. Either kill the hags and be heroes, or refuse and surrender your bones.

weem

First Post
My last campaign featured the PC's (near the end of the campaign) trying to protect a valley from an imminent attack by combined forces of Duergar, a clan of Half Orcs, and some re-skinned Yaun-Ti.

Well, one day we had some players suddenly (the day before) cancel so I only had 3 players. So what I did was made up 3 new characters... a Duergar, and two Half Orc brothers.

They were to be sent on a mission into the valley to ransack a tower that "was of some value" regarding the defense of the valley - they didn't know what was in, but only that they needed to find out what was there, and destroy it if it could be destroyed. They were to go in just the 3 of them so as to not draw attention to themselves - it would be a stealth-ish operation.

This was a very fun game - they moved through the tower from the top down (the tower stood in a deep river, the top barely exposed). At the bottom, they found an exit into the river (magic held back the water) which allowed these people access to a colossal construct underwater that was being re-assembled/powered.

They had 3 encounters on the way in (not counting a few traps) and one final encounter in a big chamber (with the opening to the water). Here they fought humans wearing mech-type armor (that they used when out underwater). It was a great fight, and they were able to rig the room to explode, getting out of the top and away from the tower in time to 'feel' the explosion underwater and watch as it ripped its way out through the top.

It was a lot of fun and it gave them some insight into the other side... a view of what their enemies could do.

So you might consider something like that since you have been running a campaign for them and this is a diversion. It makes it a lot of fun (one-shots) when you can show them something of their world from another angle - really makes it feel more alive - like there are things going on even if they can't see them ;)

I ran an 11th level game focused on dragonslaying. Custom dragons, custom settings. If you're interested, check out these links:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan-creations-house-rules/257250-wazir-ghul-khota-leper-dragon.html - Chasing down a necromancer dragon while whitewater rafting, to rescue a priestess he plans to sacrifice to cure his leprosy.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan-creations-house-rules/257564-lsi-rae-bo-lord-four-winds.html - Airship versus elemental storm dragon, with added assassination subplot.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads