• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I need help creating a... (my players stay out)

Lordnightshade

First Post
High level swordsman, say 19th - 20th level. I don't want this guy to be just a fighter, I want him to be truly scary with his sword (preferably a rapier). I will need him to be a good challenge for the 19th level duelist in the group who is insanely mean with his rapier.

He will need an AC in the 40-50 range.

He will need to be able to hit an AC in the 40-50 range.

He will need to be able to deal out lots of damage per round.

What feats/PrC's should this guy have?

I’m planning an encounter for the duelist where he will face this guy in a duel (not necessarily to the death but possibly).

Can someone do a stat block up for me? Or recommend something for me?

My game is tomorrow, so I need help quick!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Maraxle

First Post
Make him an over-the-top, cheesed out swashbuckler with tumble skills, high charisma, long-winded boisterous speeches, etc.

"Now you shall face the mighty rapier of Daltrius the blade master, swashbuckler and ladies man extraordinaire. It is a pity that I must waste my talents on one so ill-equipped, but you have questioned my honor, and that sir, is unforgivable. Prepare yourself!"

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Hmmm.

Have you thought about giving the guy an item (possibly armor) that had DR? The PC deulist is going to do a lot of damage but in little "packets". DR would soak up a lot of that.

Lordnightshade

First Post
Well, unless the DR was x/+5 it wouldn't matter. The Duelist's raiper is +4.

He has rogue levels too which allows him to do sneak attacks most of the time.

He can feint and get his hugely deadly sneak attacks.

MerakSpielman

First Post
Take your PCs character sheet. Xerox it. Scratch out the name and put in a villianous name. Add a few plusses to all the magical items.
Bam! Instant challange!

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Hmmm.

Won't a couple levels of Barbarian make the NPC immune to those kinds of sneak attacks? Maybe the NPC grew up in the outlands and has since embraced civilzation or something. Hey, Pocohantas ended her life as a minor noblewoman in England, after all!

Zigmutt

First Post
BiggusGeekus :
Hmmm.
Won't a couple levels of Barbarian make the NPC immune to those kinds of sneak attacks?
Not unless he has 17 levels of Barb. the rules are he can't be sneak attacked unless the attacker is more than three levels higher than your level (the one that can't be flanked ot flatfooted)

I made a fighter/ psychic warrior once (same level as the party- everyone was 10-12, Psy warr was 11) and he did quite a bit of damage. Burned a crap load of PP too- but that did not matter. After like three rounds- the party was so scared of him (dealing 50-75 pts per round to each of them - whirlwind) they had to run.

He had a couple left for contingency plans- but he never had to use them. Talking big and a good couple of rounds (psychofeedback into str gives MAD to hit and damage bonuses) scared the party into running. Of course they never saw him for a couple of months- it is hard for a psi warr to find ways to heal his PP in an arcane world. One of the drawbacks of being so powerful.

Plus, I gave him a special weapon (Psyblades) which was a beefed up bastard sword +1d6 damage and with crit 18-20 (*3).

Extra feats really made him very talented in all respects (he had like 10 feats)

Xeriar

First Post
Make his armor have heavy fortification. No crits, no sneak attack bonus damage. :)

Armor: Mithril Breastplate, +5, Everbright, Nimbleness and whatever else. No AC penalty, and a Dex limit of +8 (for a dex of 26) IIRC (might be higher).

A Large shield, +5 with heavy fortification.

Amulet of natural armor +5

Boots of speed, or perhaps a ring of speed (something that activates as a free action would be better)

If his dex grants +8, that's a 44 AC (+8 dex, +7 shield, +10 armor, +5 ring, +4 haste) right there. Sneak attacks and critical hits do not do bonus damage either, unless he is divested of the shield (you could move it to his armor and sacrifice some AC...)

There are a bunch of other bonuses that add to AC, a cooler Helm of Insight (from defenders of the faith) for example. Some items grant luck bonuses to AC as well - check the DMG table for what can provide an armor bonus.

A rapier, +5 with an elemental damage swath (+1d6 each of fire, acid, electricity, sonic and cold) would be pretty mean, too.

Not sure how much you can twink the attack bonus - weapon focus and finesse grant a total of +9, for +34 at 20th level.

wolff96

First Post
These PCs are something leftover I had from a mental exercise a long time ago.

They don't qualify for the Sultans of Smack, of course, but they definitely push the limits of good taste. ;)

--------------------------------

THE SURVIVOR
Fighter/Wizard Duelist

Alignment: Any.
Hit Die: 5d10 + 12, 5d4 + 10, 10d10 + 20;

Class Skills: The wizard's class skills for levels 2, 4, 6, and 8 (and the key ability for each skill) are Alchemy (Int), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), Scry (Int, exclusive skill), and Spellcraft (Int).

Class Skills: The fighter's class skills for levels 1, 3, 5, 7, 19 and 20 (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Jump (Str), Ride (Dex), and Swim (Str).

Class Skills: The duelist’s class skills for levels 9 through 18 (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex) Innuendo (Wis), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), and Tumble (Dex).

Armor and Weapon Proficiency: All simple and martial weapons, light armor, medium armor, heavy armor, and shields. Note that armor check penalties for armor heavier than leather apply to the skills Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Pick Pocket, and Tumble.

Stat breakdown:
30 Dex = 18 Dex + 6 Gloves of Dex + 4 Manual of Quickness in Action + 2 Level

30 Int = 18 Int + 6 Headband of Int. + 4 Tome of Clear Thought + 2 Level

AC: 10 + 10 (Dex) + 10 (Int) + 5 (Natural Armor) + 8 (Bracers of Armor) + 3 (Fight Defensive with 5 ranks of Tumble) + 10 (Elaborate Parry) + 5 (Ring of Protection) + 2 (Off-Hand Parry Feat) + 1 (Dodge Feat) + 1 (Luckstone) + 7 (Shield Spell) + 5 (Defending Dagger) + 4 Haste = 81 AC

Add in Blur for an extra 20% miss chance on the shots that DO get through.

BAB: 17 (BAB) + 10 (Dex, Weapon Finesse: Rapier) + 5 (weapon enhancement) + 1 (Weapon Focus: Rapier) + 1 (Ioun Stone) - 4 (Fighting Defensive):
+29/+24/+19/+14 Attack
Rapier. Critical Threat Range is from 12-20.

Average Damage: 1d6 (weapon) + 3d6 (Precise Strike) + 2d6 (Elemental) + 5 (weapon) + 2 (STR) + 2 (Weapon Specialization) = 27 damage.

Average Critical Hit: 2d6 (weapon) + 3d6 (Precise Strike) + 2d6 (Elemental) + 2d10 (Burst) + 10 (weapon) + 4 (STR) + 4 (Weapon Specialization) = 49 damage.

Equipment:
Amulet of Natural Armor (+5): 50,000gp
Bracers of Armor (+8): 64,000gp
Ring of Protection (+5): 50,000gp
Gloves of Dexterity (+6): 36,000gp
Headband of Intellect (+6): 36,000gp
Belt of Giant’s Strength (+4): 16,000gp
+5 Flaming Burst, Frost Burst Rapier: 162,320gp
+5 Defending Dagger: 72,302gp
Pale Green Ioun Stone: 20,000gp
Manual of Quickness in Action (+4): 110,000gp
Tome of Clear Thought (+4): 110,000gp
Scabbard of Keen Edges: 15,000gp
---------------
TOTAL: 741,622gp

Feats (in alphabetical rather than chronological order):
Ambidexterity
Dodge
Improved Critical: Rapier
Improved Initiative
Mobility
Off-Hand Parry
Two-Weapon Fighting
Weapon Finesse: Rapier
Weapon Focus: Rapier
Weapon Specialization: Rapier

Fighter 6/Duelist 7/Weapon Master 7

This character should have a high strength, dexterity, constitution and Intelligence. He can afford to take Weapon Finesse so late in life because the high Dex item and Tomes don’t come into play until near the end of the character’s non-epic existence… so it isn’t in his benefit to take those feats until late in life when his dexterity massively outweighs his strength.

The rapier of wounding is a bit mean, so feel free to scale it back.

HP: 20d10 + 20 x Con Mod.

Required Skills:
Perform: 3 ranks.
Tumble: 5 ranks. (Class Skill due to Cosmopolitan Feat)
Intimidate: 4 ranks.

The rest are up to you.

BAB: 20.

Base Saves:
F/R/W: +9/+14/+6

Feats:
1..............................Cosmopolitan: Tumble
1 (Human)............... Ambidexterity
1: Fighter.................Dodge
2: Fighter.................Mobility
3..............................Weapon Focus: Rapier
4: Fighter.................Combat Reflexes
6..............................Expertise
6: Fighter.................Weapon Specialization: Rapier
9..............................Spring Attack
12............................Whirlwind Attack
15............................Improved Critical: Rapier
18............................Weapon Finesse: Rapier

Abilities:
Ki Strike 7/day – automatically does full damage for the weapon on a successful hit. Can’t be used on crits.
Increased Multiplier 3/day – Makes the rapier do x3 damage on a crit.
Superior Weapon Focus – Adds one to attack rolls. Stacks with Weapon Focus.
Superior Combat Reflexes – Gets Dex + Wis number of AoOs per round, still only one per enemy.
Ki Critical – Adds another 2 to the threat range of the weapon.
Canny Defense – Int to AC.
Precise Strike -- +2d6 damage.
Enhanced Mobility – Another +4 AC versus AoO for movement.
Grace – Additional +2 to all reflex saves.
Acrobatic Attack -- +2 to attack and damage if you jump at least 5’ towards opponent.
Elaborate Parry – Another +7 to AC if you fight defensively.

Assuming a 14 Dex and 14 Int (which is modest), then the AC can be up to 65.

26 Dex = 14 Dex + 6 Gloves of Dex + 4 Manual of Quickness in Action + 2 Level

26 Int = 14 Int + 6 Headband of Int. + 4 Tome of Clear Thought + 2 Level

AC: 10 + 8 (Dex) + 8 (Int) + 5 (Natural Armor) + 8 (Bracers of Armor) + 3 (Fight Defensive with 5 ranks of Tumble) + 7 (Elaborate Parry) + 5 (Ring of Protection) + 1 (Dodge Feat) + 1 (Luckstone) + 5 (Defending Dagger) + 4 Haste = 65 AC

Attack Rating: BAB: 20 (BAB) + 8 (Dex, Weapon Finesse: Rapier) + 5 (weapon enhancement) + 1 (Weapon Focus: Rapier) + 1 (Ioun Stone) - 4 (Fighting Defensive) + 1 (Superior Weapon Focus):
+31/+26/+21/+16 Attack

Rapier. Critical Threat Range is from 10-20.

Equipment:
Amulet of Natural Armor (+5): 50,000gp
Bracers of Armor (+8): 64,000gp
Ring of Protection (+5): 50,000gp
Gloves of Dexterity (+6): 36,000gp
Headband of Intellect (+6): 36,000gp
Belt of Giant’s Strength (+4): 16,000gp
+5 Keen Rapier of Wounding: 128,320gp
+5 Defending Dagger: 72,302gp
Pale Green Ioun Stone: 20,000gp
Manual of Quickness in Action (+4): 110,000gp
Tome of Clear Thought (+4): 110,000gp
Boots of Speed: 8,000gp
---------------
TOTAL: 700,622gp

wolff96

First Post
And if you're worried about feinting and sneak attacks, an item that grants a +10 to Sense Motive is only 2,000gp (4,000gp slotless).

Since the Duelist and the Weaponmaster both have Sense Motive as a class skill, you're looking at either 29 (6 Cross-Class and 13 Class Ranks + Sense Motive Item) for the Fighter/Wizard/Duelist or 31 (4 Cross-Class and 17 Class Ranks + Sense Motive Item) for the Fighter/Duelist/Weapon Master.

Remove ads