I need help for my sci-fi dinosaur adventure tonight!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I need some quick ideas for my game tonight. Here's the setup:

PCs are on a big space station. They have a shuttle. The planet below reportedly allows dinosaur hunting.

That's all that's set in stone for now. I'm kinda thinking a Jurassic Park type situation with dinosaurs going berserk, but that's not definite yet.

If I did that, why wouldn't the PCs just leave? Does their shuttle get damaged and they have to find a macguffin to repair it? Does the planet get quarantined, and if so what would end that? Or what else could happen?

I'm thinking a shortish adventure, couple of sessions. Nothing too epic.

Any ideas?

RedSiegfried

First Post
Maybe the PCs will get paid to hunt down dinosaur poachers. Only the dinosaurs don't realize they are being poached so they won't make it easy. Maybe the poachers are in cahoots with one faction of the authorities and those particular corrupt authorities would rather see to it that the PCs don't come back.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Because Dinosaurs and Sci-Fi is just begging for a meta-concert of crystal infused hyper-aware dinosaurs:

Dinosaurs on a hunting preserve have been eating native creatures which are naturally suffuse with crystals which interact with standard power circuits, and especially, shuttle drive power trains and base main power supplies. The crystals also create a weak mental link which imbues extraordinary intelligence and perception. (The link is what makes the crystals useful for building power circuits.)

After a short off season, where the preserve facilities were down for construction, the dinosaurs crossed a threshold of awareness. When the facilities were brought online and the construction crew shuttled offworld, the resonance of the crystals in the dinosaurs with the shuttle power systems causes them to go berzerk. This was not immediately apparent, with the dinosaurs initially stunned and confused, giving time for the preserve to take in new arrivals to start the next hunting season.

Shuttle transports to outstations drew in the dinosaurs, which, en-masse, overran the outstations then refocused on the harder to reach main base.

The players are drawn into the situation either as hired trouble shooters (why did the outstations go dark?) Or as members of a hunting party, perhaps as guards or as hunters themselves.

At an outstation, the players are either overrun as a part of the initial onslaught, or are attacked when they reach the already overrun outstation (the dinosaurs drawn by the power systems in their shuttle.) Simultaneously, the dinosaurs achieve a level of meta-awareness and their link begins to disrupt the main base power systems.

The situation becomes:

(1) The players have an initial fight at an outstation with unexpectedly smart and aggressive dinosaurs;
(2) The base is overrun, and, in particular, any powered systems (shuttles and the outstation itself) are destroyed by frenzied dinosaurs;
(3) Contact with the main base becomes sporatic then goes completely offline as the base shifts to emergency power.

How to resolve this could be:

(1) There is a triad of dinosaurs with the largest concentration of crystals which must be defeated to break the dinosaurs meta-circuit, which would restore power to the main base, two lesser dinosaurs, then one final greater dinosaur.
(2) One or more of the outstations, perhaps an older one which was decommissioned, or a new one which hadn't yet been put online, has power systems which were not yet turned on and not attacked by the dinosaurs. Power circuits must be recovered from one of the intact outstation to repair the power circuits of the shuttle, providing a way offworld.
(3) A large concentration of crystals located in a valley a distance from the characters can be used to send a counter-pulse which would divert the dinosaurs meta-awareness. But key equipment must be reached then transported to the valley, then activated.

!n all cases, the players must travel overland to at least two objectives, and deal with a final onslaught while they accomplish their final objective.

The dinosaurs are exceptional in several ways: They share awareness; they have an innate sense of the location of powered technology and are drawn to these locations to attack and destroy power circuits; they are exceptionally intelligent; they are highly aggressive tending to berzerk rages; larger individuals have strange powers which emanate from large crystals growing from their skin: These are rays or bursts, and can cause temporary blindness, disrupt neural activity, or, when focused, act as damaging energy discharges.

Thx!
TomB

Quickleaf

Legend
I need some quick ideas for my game tonight. Here's the setup:

PCs are on a big space station. They have a shuttle. The planet below reportedly allows dinosaur hunting.

That's all that's set in stone for now. I'm kinda thinking a Jurassic Park type situation with dinosaurs going berserk, but that's not definite yet.

If I did that, why wouldn't the PCs just leave? Does their shuttle get damaged and they have to find a macguffin to repair it? Does the planet get quarantined, and if so what would end that? Or what else could happen?

I'm thinking a shortish adventure, couple of sessions. Nothing too epic.

Any ideas?

Alien retrovirus has infected the dinos, which are suffering massive sickness and die-offs affecting the bottom line of rugged frontier dino hunter types. Most are too concerned with catching a big score, however, to regulate their hunting practices. Only a senior retired dino hunter turned game warden realizes the danger affecting the dinos, but doesn't have resources to police reckless dino hunters.

PCs come to station to retrieve a sample of some substance only produced in the jungles of the dino planet, like "bacta" from Star Wars, or any of the real-world drugs originating from rainforest medicine plants. However, the xenobiologist studying the substance has suffered destruction of her lab by rough dino hunters far crueler than any she's encountered before (they're really mercs on a mission). She can create more, however, if the PCs lead her to a certain grove...and she conveniently omits the fact that there's an alien retrovirus at play mutating the dinosaurs.

Along the way, the PCs encounter:

(1) Signs of the mercs guised as dino hunters. The mercs are bioengineered humans hired by whatever aliens unleashed the retrovirus to erase all evidence (including anyone who knows about the retrovirus).

(2) Pulsing alien cocoon sacs hanging from trees holding dinosaurs in chrysalis state to a new alien-ified dinosaur form.

(3) Peaceful brachiosaurs, possibly sick.

(4) Dinosaur hunter after a velociraptor, who has lost contact with his base camp, and would make an excellent guide.

Capn Charlie

Explorer
They *can* just leave, but there is a hefty penalty clause in their contract to go down there and do... something. Rescue a lost rich kid on safari, perhaps kidnapped by poachers (better kidnapped by his family's competitors), etc.

Make it so they face horror after horror, and can leave whenever they want, but the money keeps them going. Not only will they not get paid if they quit, but they have to pay the person who did this to them.

AnimeSniper

Explorer
Okay for a scenario how about the following

1. The players are on the station are awaiting their shuttle in an arboretum deck with a view of the planet to return to their respective planets or for their own hunt when an unauthorized ship exits FTL or Hyperspace.
2. The stations command tries to contact the crew with zero response when a second ship emerges broadcasting that the first ship has an unknown viral plague that killed the first ships crew and passengers... the station opens fires with their defense systems causing the first and second to veer off course with a section of the first ship colliding with the station causing it to lose orbital stability and begin falling to the planet below. Insert emergency broadcast, flashing lights, maybe a section outside the arboretum violently losing pressure and a bulkhead door sealing shut.
3. The players then need to make a run to the nearest emergency escape pods or shuttle bay to leave the station or lose their lives. Include a few checks as they make their way through the mad rush of NPC's and the stations falling to the planet below. Upon safely reaching the planet the players could loot the escape pod or shuttle for whatever on-board weaponry you allow to be there.
4. The remains of the first ship crash on the planet releasing the viral plague and contaminating the environment and dinosaurs that find the tasty corpses aboard. incorporate parts of post #4, http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...ure-tonight!&p=7054224&viewfull=1#post7054224, with a few tweaks like mutations to the base dinosaurs stats.
5. The players must then make their way to either a safe zone starport on the planet for pickup by the second ship before a quarantine is enacted due an unknown VIP being on the planet. Will they help the VIP or leave them to their fate.
6. The players escape but unknown to them an NPC is infected with the plague

Last edited:

Remove ads