Pathfinder 2E I need help to convert a Flaming Sword from D&D 5e to Pathfinder 2e, please!

Strider1973

Explorer
Hi everybody: I'm trying to convert an adventure for one PC and one DM/GM from D&D 5e to PF2. The adventure is for 1 1st level PC. A GM NPC, an ally of the PC, wields a Flaming Sword, a Sword that is activated with a bonus action and that deals if I'm not wrong, 2d6 (1d8 in a revised version of the adventure) fire damage in addition to the regular 1d8 slashing damage. This GM NPC is 1st level too. I want to run this adventure with Pathfinder 2e. My problem is that in PF2 the Flaming Sword (with a Rune of Flaming, I mean), if I'm not wrong, is an 8th level or so magic item, i.e. considered way too powerful for 1st level characters, as the PC and the GM NPC are: how could I adapt this magic item? Reducing the fire damage to 1d4 and removing or nerfing the persistent fire damage effect on ciritical hits?
Many thanks for your advice!

Staffan

Legend
I'd make it +1 (because all magic weapons are +1 at least) and one of the following:
  • Semi-permanent (activated but no duration or limit) +1 fire damage on a hit. This has the advantage of feeling like a flaming sword all the time, but the disadvantage that while neat it's kind of just there.
  • 1d8 extra fire damage on a crit. This makes crits feel better, but it's out of the control of the wielder.
  • Let the wielder activate the flames for a round at a time, dealing +1d6 fire damage for one round. I could see this either be a mostly unlimited ability if it costs an action, or a 3/day ability if it's a free action. I'd lean toward the latter, because melee types generally don't have actions to spare.

JThursby

Adventurer
I want to run this adventure with Pathfinder 2e. My problem is that in PF2 the Flaming Sword (with a Rune of Flaming, I mean), if I'm not wrong, is an 8th level or so magic item, i.e. considered way too powerful for 1st level characters, as the PC and the GM NPC are: how could I adapt this magic item?
You can use the Smoldering Sword from the beginner box.

Remove ads