I need a good non-D&D fantasy campaign

Wolfpack48

Adventurer
Have you looked at Dragonbane?

SJB

Explorer
The Road to Monsterberg campaign in three volumes. It’s set on 15th century earth but with low magic, so I supect that it would drop into a late medieval kitchen sink world relatively easily. The characters are trying to go home from a war but get enmeshed in the politics and feuds of the land they are attempting to cross. The campaign was designed for Codex Martialis a 3.5e hack with more detailed combat rules: possibly some kinship to Hackmaster (which I don’t know at all).

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
So looking ahead, I'm thinking after my current campaign ends, I would run Hackmaster 5e again.

I'm looking for one of those products that takes players from level 1 to 10+. I don't want D&D because they are too commonly known, and the PCs in D&D are too overpowered. Pathfinder has great products, but they are too bound to their setting.

So a good old-school-style gaming product would be easiest to convert. System doesn't matter, although lower-magic systems would be best. I'm not familiar with OSR products or 3rd party material.

Any recommendations?
Dungeon Crawl Classics is a good option for old school fun.

Also, I finally got an opportunity to read Shadowdark, and that game is an excellent fit for introducing 5e players to a little old school.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
AEG made some pretty good 3Ed & 3.X products, of which I have several sourcebooks. They happen to be having a sale on their PDFs. Considering your needs, Adventure 1, Adventure 2, The World’s Largest City & World’s Largest Dungeon books would be pretty handy, as would the Accordlands books.

I still have a physical copy of World's Largest Dungeon I've wanted to run for years.

Voadam

Legend
I was going to recommend one of the four part Cthulhu 5e D&D fantasy adventure paths from Petersen Games (Yig Snake Grandaddy, the Ghouls set, or the Tsathoggua one) as covering a big level range but they no longer seem to be available on drivethru. A number of Cthulhu adventures are big multipart ones that could be changed to a fantasy setting and hackmaster. There are newer ones out like The Two-Headed Serpent that are more pulp oriented so more designed for powerful PCs who live when fighting horrors.

mamba

Legend

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I had one when it came out, and it looked very interesting. I don't remember what happened to my copy.
Did it end up in the dumpster with most of the rest of your physical books? Sorry, old post on an old thread, but as a book hoarder your radical approach to culling your collection was quite the shock to my sensibilities. :)

Did it end up in the dumpster with most of the rest of your physical books? Sorry, old post on an old thread, but as a book hoarder your radical approach to culling your collection was quite the shock to my sensibilities. :)
:cool:

No, it vanished fairly early on. Thinking back, I may have loaned it out, and never got it back.

I know my methods are a travesty to any collector, but they serve my needs. Although would have hung on to that one, to mine it for ideas. I do recall I did not have it for long.

Remove ads