Long campaigns, Besides D&D and Pathfinder

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Call of Cthulhu has Masks of Nyarlathotep, which like the earlier mentioned The Enemy Within is considered one of the best of all time.

Though it's more "too insane for all this sh!t", but hey.

jhallum

Explorer
Delta Green has two now: Impossible Landscapes, which might be harder for some GMs to run, as it's more meant to mess with your mind,
and Iconoclasts, where the heroes are agents sent to Mosul during the 2007 ISIS insurgency.

dbm

Savage!
Savage Worlds has lots of campaigns for it, beyond just Deadlands (including two for Lost Colony which is basically Deadlands in space). The Last Parsec has about five different sci-fi campaigns. Rifts has multiple shorter weight campaigns for it and there is a box set in production for a bigger campaign. There are two full Savage Pathfinder Adventure Paths. Three supers campaigns (one new, two re-releases) have just been crowd funded. There is a wuxia based campaign (Legend of Ghost Mountain).

I think Savage Worlds is at least top-five, maybe even top-three for modules outside of D&D / D20.

HERO/Champions for me. I've played or GMed in 3 different campaigns which ran right around a decade. One superhero started as a lower powered a la New Mutants/Original comic Teen Titans, and ended up as one of the more powerful member of the equivalent of the JLA/Avengers.

MGibster

Legend
That's not what I was asking about.
Now that I really think about it, Call of Ctuhlhu might not be what you were asking about either. While there are some long campaigns, CoC really isn't the type of game where you start out as beginners. Sure, you characters might not know a whole lot about the mythos, but most of them are fairly competent at whatever the occupation is at the start of the campaign and they're not going to improve all that much as it progresses.

Besides what was already mentioned:
  • Symbaroum has the Throne of Thorns campaign, an epic 6 part adventure about "something old" awakening in the Davokar forest and how it is dealt with
  • Coriolis has the Mercy of the Icons campaign, in which the characters deal with events shaking the Third Horizon setting
  • The Dark Eye, or rather its original German version (Das Schwarze Auge) has the massive "Die Sieben Gezeichneten" campaign, which clocks in above 1000 pages as far as I know
And if we allow for slightly shorter (but still Pathfinder adventure path-length) campaigns:
  • Forbidden Lands has the Raven's Purge campaign, which accompanied the base game, as well as two additional campaigns (The Bitter Reach, The Blood Marches), which came later
  • Besides The Enemy Within, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay also has other longer campaigns like Path of the Damned (for WFRP 2e)
  • Mongoose Traveller has multiple larger campaigns, most well-known is probably Pirates of Drinax (just saw that Pirates of Drinax was already mentioned)
There's probably a lot more, especially among games in the trad/neo-trad space, but these were the ones that immediately came to my mind.

aramis erak

Legend
ALIEN's campaign does not have character continuity, but is explicitly intended for player continuity using the pregens.
Of the 3 released cinematics (Chariots of the Gods, Destroyer of Worlds, Heart of Darkness), the expectation is players get to carry forward a bit of metacurrency, and they're actually one thematic whole.
I think it just barely gets to "moderately long," however. For some groups, Destroyer alone will be 2-3 sessions; for others, well... my players turned it into over half a year. Chariots has run 3-5 sessions all three times I've run it.
I've not run Heart yet... it's on the agenda for next weekend starting.
Also note: all three expect few, if any, surviving PCs at end. Hence why no character continuity.

Classic Traveller's The Traveller Adventure is a roughly 4-12 month campaign, depending highly upon play style and session lengths.
Mongoose's Aramis: The Traveller Adventure is a rework for use with their editions of Traveller.

Mekton II has two campaigns for it (that I've seen, at least)... Operation Rimfire is a classic mecha-anime Romance & Action 22 "episode" campaign book. Note that adventures are pretty short - 2-3 pages each... but envision some significant combat time between social encounters.
The other, Mekton Wars 1: Invasion Terra is (as might be expected from the name) a Tactical Wargaming mode campaign; one can, however, run it as a backbone for a Roleplaying campaign.

And of course...
Pendragon has 3... The Boy King (TBK), Saxons! (S!), and The Great Pendragon Campaign (GPC). Nobles' Book (NB) is a timeline sourcebook for 1E; it lacks actual adventures, but provides an overall timeline for a Pendragon campaign, as well as landholding rules.
TBK is the 3rd/4th ed timeline sourcebook; it also includes a number of 3-5 page adventures and a bunch of adventure seeds of 1-3 paragraphs.
S! is a prequel to TBK, and uses the same mode, but for fewer years, and introducing a whole culture. It can stand alone, or be continued into TBK.
GPC is a reimplementation of TBK, and includes a few bits from S!.
Land of Giants is another timeline, but this one is independent, and I don't recall it having many adventures within.
While not a formal campaign, the three "Tales of" volumes form a nice filler for a standalone, and most of the 9 or so total are multi-session...

Oh, and for WFRP 1e... the Doomstones campaign is not a great WFRP campaign, but it is a long one. :) It's decent, but clearly was ported to WFRP, rather than being natively written for it. it's 6 dungeon crawls. Which, given the realities of WFRP 1E combat and healing, can and will take a long while.

Committed Hero

Adventurer
Savage Worlds has a ton across different genres, although the experience mechanism is not quite what you are looking for. Actually outside of D&D there are few that get you explicitly from novice to looking at retirement - and in a lot of games, including Savage Worlds, your characters start out quite competent.

Remove ads