• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I need help with a part of a campaign I'm making

Darkmantle26

First Post
This idea for a magic item popped into my head: A ring that, when you place it on your finger, shape shifts you into a Wyrmling Red Dragon (Changing your statistics except skill proficiency, INT, WIS, and CHA to that of a red dragon wyrmling) until it is removed. But I am short on ideas. How should the players acquire this item? and how could I build a story around this ring?

Lanliss

Explorer
It could be a possessed sentient item, in which you must make a contested intelligence check, or be possessed by the red Dragon trapped in the ring, until such time as the ring is removed. That could make for a nice Banner-Hulk type relationship, where you have to barter with the Dragon on what it will get for doing certain heroic actions. As for how to acquire it, you can never go wrong with a heavily warded, obviously dangerous magic item in a wizard lab. Just make it obvious that the maker was afraid of this object being used.

I had a possessed character in my last campaign (Chaotic sentient sword). It requires a lot of note-passing and out-of-earshot talks with the player so the rest of the party isn't up on what's happened. I worked around that by texting the player during sessions, talking before sessions, and also pulling out other selected players during sessions just to keep their suspicions down. Eventually the found out ... when the possessed player tried to betray and ambush the party.

Good times! :)

Lanliss

Explorer
I think this possession will be somewhat obvious, since they will be a red Dragon wyrmling. Of course, there is always the possibility of the Dragon forcefully trapping the wearers mind in the ring.

Darkmantle26

First Post
Perhaps I could present it at first to be an advantage to them, but over time the red dragon inside the ring begins to awaken and attempt to take over the weilder's mind?

Lanliss

Explorer
Perhaps I could present it at first to be an advantage to them, but over time the red dragon inside the ring begins to awaken and attempt to take over the weilder's mind?

Sounds fun. Just make sure they do have a little warning, so it is not a "gotcha" when the Dragon becomes the controller. Maybe an Insight save against their own deception, or against a preset DC, to realize the ring is starting to push back. Then they can make the choice between pushing further, hoping they can control the ring, or stopping before it goes too far.

ccs

41st lv DM
Some random ideas:
*The ring is made of Dragon bone. From a slain dragon of whatever color. Think of making a ring out of the tip of its finger/tail/rib etc.
*ring is possessed by the Spirit of the slain dragon & will try and take over anyone wearing it.
*possession is a cha contest vrs the dragons spirit. With the winner in control for as many days as the difference of the rolls.
*if the dragon spirit wins it'll begin transforming the host. 1st they become a dragonborn. If they fail the next check x days later, they become a 1/2dragon. If they fail a 3rd time they become your wymling. Further failed checks = the dragon growing - until it reaches whatever size it was when killed & the PC becomes an NPC dragon! The pcs alignment alters towards that of the Dragon spirit while possessed.
Whenever the PC wins a check while transformed the process reverses one step.
*the ring can only be removed while in your original form. Unless your willing to cut off your hand (or more likely this is forcably done to you as the dragons not OK with that) ....
*if your in your oginal form you bennifit from A) understanding dracoic, ring of fire resistance, & breath attack (see dragonborn).

Have the party recover this from a slain enemy who's currently in control & who wouldn't possess fire resistance & a breath weapon.

No matter what, the PC becomes ever more greedy.
(Afterall, the only thing that covets loot more than a player character is a dragon)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads