• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I need help with an antagonist I want to make.

Rai_SD_Knight

First Post
No no Freebiewitz don't get discouraged, Dannyalcatraz, Theroc, and you to Freebiewitz I was thinking somewhere it was mentioned giving some reach to the monk abilities that would be cool so what I need is a monk that can use unarmed and armed combat with ease should be able to attack several times per round(do to being outnumbered) and have just a hint of dragon for flavor and fierousity.

and thats Just Rave...

freebiewitz

First Post
I think there is a prestige class out there that requires you to be a monk and have the feat 'quickened magic' somewhere.

My friend played it once, he was a sorcerer with monk levels, I can't remeber what the class was called but it was basically him punching and kicking and basically enchanting the hell out of himself.

He could make a ice spike come from his arm, he could breath fire (thats a good touch of dragon) and he could also turn himself into lightning to travel and attack people.

Rai_SD_Knight

First Post
Hmm interesting... also remember Xp(Xp loss do to making an item) and money is not a problem so he could buy any item to augment his monk abilities to make himself even stronger, all changes to Rave will happen away from PC party so they wouldn't even notice the changes my goal is to have them face him two to three time building up to a last final show down, where the PCs are going "Oh crap, this could be bad."

somewhere it was mentioned giving some reach to the monk abilities that would be cool so what I need is a monk that can use unarmed and armed combat with ease should be able to attack several times per round(do to being outnumbered) and have just a hint of dragon for flavor and fierousity.

Great I Quoted myself!

ok thanks Freebiewitz maybe the others know what you mean.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
For a monk to gain reach, he can:

1) Take one of the feats that adds a polearm to his list of Monk weapons, Pole Fighter or Pole Master.

2) Take a Vile or Aberration feat that actually extends your innate reach.

3) Find a way to increase your size, typically via Enlarge Person (spell) or Expansion (Psi power)

4) The aforementioned Ring the Golden Bell will give him ranged use of his unarmed strikes, which is functionally equivalent to reach, but is limited in uses per day.

In addition, to maximize #of attacks for a Monk, I typically go for a Dex/Str/Wis build, ideally with Enlarge/Expansion, a polearm and delving deep into the Combat Reflexes feat tree. With that feat, plus Hold the Line, Stand Still, and Deft Opportunist, you'll get huge numbers of AoOs to work with.

Other PrCls for Monks to check out:

1) Shiba Protector gets Wis bonus to Att & damage, in addition to the Wis bonus to AC.

2) The Shou Disciple is an armored monk PrCl that actually requires no monk levels as a prereq- just the right combo of feats and so forth- and eventually gets to FoB with any weapon.

3) For this PC in particular, you should check out the Dragon Descendant (Dragon Magic)- a draconically themed martial artist PrCl.

Rai_SD_Knight

First Post
Ok Multi classing and Prestige classes are relatively new to me(I plan on using him after playing a ranger which I fumbled through making with the current DMs help), these are the stats I rolled though I'm willing to change them around

Str 17
Dex 16
Con12
intel 17
wis 16
Char 14

Polearm isnt really Rave's style he prefers grappleing or straight up smashing!

Ok diffinately want the ring of golden bell but I have no idea how many feats(I think it class and race dependent) he would get or what penalties he will incure from a monk/sorcerer/Dragon decendent, I need a bit more practice before I go off all willie nillie. I do however know his CR is going to be pretty high.

I think I'll go read up on Multiclassing now so I'll be prepared.

Last edited:

Theroc

First Post
Ok Multi classing and Prestige classes are relatively new to me(I plan on using him after playing a ranger which I fumbled through making with the current DMs help), these are the stats I rolled though I'm willing to change them around

Str 17
Dex 16
Con12
intel 17
wis 16
Char 14

Polearm isnt really Rave's style he prefers grappleing or straight up smashing!

Ok diffinately want the ring of golden bell but I have no idea how many feats(I think it class and race dependent) he would get or what penalties he will incure from a monk/sorcerer/Dragon decendent, I need a bit more practice before I go off all willie nillie. I do however know his CR is going to be pretty high.

I think I'll go read up on Multiclassing now so I'll be prepared.

For reach then, look into some of the Vile of Monstrous Feats in other splatbooks(afraid I don't have any of those) which grant reach.

If Rave is a human to begin with, then he would suffer no multi-classing penalties, since the highest of either Monk or Sorcerer would be ignored for the purposes of adjudicating the penalties.

Rai_SD_Knight

First Post
so a human 2nd level sorcerer would get 30 skill points 2+ int makes 5x4=20 + 5= 25 +4+1 29+1
a 3rd level monk gets what 24, 4+3=7x3 for level then 21+3 for human bonus
so 54
8 automatically go to knowledge arcana (for the Dragon Decendent) that leaves 46 for other things right.

and I think I was thinking of range when I said reach, my fault. though now that I'm looking maybe it should be monk 3/sorcerer 2 that way i get more skill points 45 for monk and 12 for sorcerer ok 57 not that much more but 3 points could help!

I still dont know about how many feats I get and this doesnt include the PrC so hmmm...

Last edited:

Rai_SD_Knight

First Post
Dang I think I need to be at least 4th level sorcerer do to: Ability to cast arcane spells without preparation of 2nd level. and caster level is half class level right?

freebiewitz

First Post
actually there is a feat called quickened magic that lets you pull off spells as a free action, however you can only perform one quickened spell per round, so in each each round you can only use two spells or just one followed by a normal attack.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
For reach then, look into some of the Vile of Monstrous Feats in other splatbooks(afraid I don't have any of those) which grant reach.

This site is very helpful in that regard.
http://realmshelps.dandello.net/datafind/feats.shtml

In particular, you're looking for the Aberrant Feat (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/featsform.pl) Inhuman Reach (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Inhuman_Reach,all)

And the Vile Feat (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/featsform.pl) Deformity [Tall] (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Deformity_(Tall),all)

Cool? Yes...but unfortunately, they are also feat intensive. Each has at least one Feat as a prereq.

Dang I think I need to be at least 4th level sorcerer do to: Ability to cast arcane spells without preparation of 2nd level. and caster level is half class level right?

For a Sorc? Prettty much.

For future reference, check here:
Sorcerers & Wizards :: d20srd.org

Remove ads