• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I need help with politics!

Blue Sky

Explorer
I need some advice that will help me run a political style adventure. Right now, the players own an inn in Sharn, have the ear of the Keeper of the Flame (Eberron), and have control of a thieves' guild in Sharn.

Plots I'm working on right now...

Warforged "bandits" are ransacking the countryside of Thrane. The players (a human fighter and a changeling arcane trickster) were hired to take care of them. Following tracks that lead into the Mournland, they'll find a large fort just inside the mists, holding an obvious invasion force. I'm thinking of linking the warforged to the Queen of Aundair.

The Cardinal Captain ir'Lune in Thrane has offered to open a portal to Dolurhh, the plane of the dead, so the fighter can rescue her father. The Keeper of the Flame wants them to refuse, because the fighter's father was an outcast from the Silver Flame, and "he deserves what happens". Said much nicer and full of reasons, but she's not willing to bring him back. The party has messed up a couple of the Cardinal's plans, so he'd rather have them on his side.

In relation to the plot above, the players are investigating Archeirophant Morr in Sharn for the Keeper. The players found evidence, but not proof, of connection between the Archeirophant and a mind flayer, who was using dragon-marked children for some foul purpose. The Voice is casting Commune for more info about Morr, and will get back to the players shortly. They also have evidence that the Archeirophant's aid is more than he appears, but they have no idea what he is (a Zakya, an ancient "god of war" recently released from binding.

I also want to use the Baromars, the prince of Cyre, Kings Boranel and Kaius, the Sharn city council, Daask and the Tarkannans. And an ancient, puzzle-filled dragon temple. Temples are cool.

So you see my problem? I have all this headup, but no idea where to take it! Please, ENworld, you're my only hope!

Also, are there any good political books out there?

Odysseus

Explorer
Let the players choose what they plotline the interfer with. For instance the kill the warforged bandit leader. After each session, work out what happens , if anything on each plotline. So with the warforged bandits, does another leader appear, or do they fight among themselves ?
In the other plotlines , even though the party hasn't interfered , time doesn't standstill. Has the cardinal opened the portal? Move things on as time goes by.
Don't get to bogged down having everything planned, becasue the players will just wreck it. Create the situation, and let the party interact how they want.

As to books , raymond feist books, comes to mind.

Arrgh! Mark!

First Post
When I worked at subway the boss used to have these pointless meetings so we could say our piece and nothing would happen. One of the sayings was "Every customer that leaves unhappy makes seven other people not want to come."

Put this in fantasy terms. You have a decent storyline here. But the problem is, every time you make an effect on someone, seven people know about it.

Killed the bandit king? You make four enemies and three allies.

Consequences are the name of the game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads