• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E I need more ways to Speak With Plants

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
There is a serious lack of Speak With Plants granting magic items.

Short explanation- In our pathfinder/3.5/spell jamming game, we went into space and landed on a Dyson Sphere surrounding a star composed entirely of one massive plant 8000ish years old. It's pretty cool.

At the end of the last session, my Halfling Druid cast Speak With Plants, made some introductions and asked some questions. It's blowing his mind, this is better than Commune With Nature, this is a larger-than-planet-sized planet that he can literally talk to.

I can do this for 8 minutes at a time per casting. I'm looking for ways to get Speak With Plants​ as a constant effect, or usable more often per day. Anyone have any ideas?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm guessing the GM probably doesn't want you to have constant easy communication with a thing that important to the game. It's kind of like asking for having a hotline to the king of the nation the PCs are in, or a hotline to one of the gods in the game world.

Mr.E_Danger

First Post
As as druid you get Sylvan as a bonus language, which is a language most plant creatures can understand (though not all can speak). It could be a simple matter of someone using linguistic skills. Then there is the ability to wild shape into a plant, though i'm not sure if you're at the level where you can do that yet. In terms of spells, there's tongues, comprehend languages, speak with plants (which you have used) and of course Truespeak, which would allow you to speak with anything.

radja

First Post
How intelligent is this plant? Does it speak a language, but simply lacks the bodyparts to speak? If this is the case, a telepathic bond spell would work and lasts 10 times as long as a speak with plants spell. Also, telepathic bond can be made permanent. A helm of telepathy also allows unlimited telepathic communication.

Starfox

Hero
How likely are you to stay in this site a long time? That determines how much long-term investment you should put into it. In general, I think that 8 minutes of contact with the world-mind is as much as the DM is likely to want to grant you - be careful what you wish for.

Stormonu

Legend
A wand is one solution I can think of. Default wands have their caster level set at the minimum, but if you find someone willing (or make it yourself), you can use a higher caster level - just makes it more expensive.

Squire James

First Post
A wand for the druid version of the spell would cost the normal level 3 wand cost (11,250 gp) for 50 charges of 5 minutes each. A constant item would come up to something like 30,000 gp unless the DM would think such an item to be abusive. If not, I don't see why there wouldn't be a few more people on this sphere with such an item... now whether the Uber Plant likes them (or you) is a different issue!

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Drinking the blood of a dragon can grant you magical linguistic abilities, allowing you to speak to plants or animals or birds. It can also just kill you outright. :p

knottyprof

First Post
Take nine levels of wizard and a level of Druid then get DM permission to use Permanency with the Speak with Animals spells, plus pay the material cost of 2,500 gp (from the examples given in the CRB). Probably the cheapest way to do it. Maybe your DM will let you cast it on yourself and allow an arcane caster to cast permanency on you. Or you can have a magic item crafted for 30K gp. Of course Permanency is susceptible to Dispelling.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Take nine levels of wizard and a level of Druid then get DM permission to use Permanency with the Speak with Animals spells, plus pay the material cost of 2,500 gp (from the examples given in the CRB). Probably the cheapest way to do it. Maybe your DM will let you cast it on yourself and allow an arcane caster to cast permanency on you. Or you can have a magic item crafted for 30K gp. Of course Permanency is susceptible to Dispelling.
Ohh.... The Gnome Wizard in our party might be able to do this. I'll ask my DM. Thanks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads