• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I need to fireproof my... uh.. ship.

Three_Haligonians

First Post
So,

My players are about to travel to the Elemental Plane of Fire. One of them got the bright idea to do it by casting planar navigation (from Stormwrack) while onboard their ship.

I looked in a number of "plane-hopping" books like The Manual of the Planes and The Planar Handbook and even in the Arms & Equipment Guide (since it has lots on vehicles) but other than a few things like fireproof spellbooks and fireproof clothes, I couldn't find anything about fireproofing large scale things, even though I am sure such rules are out there.

Anyone know what I am talking about?

J from Three Haligonians

melkorspawn

First Post
A paraffin wax coating should give you an hour (to maybe 3 at the upper ranges) in the 300-500 degrees F range. (Depending on the amount and density of the paraffin). Wax is great for this purpose, because even when melted, it generally adheres to the surface to which it was applied, severely limiting the oxygen exposure of the material in question.
Chances are, the first thing to start burning will be the sails. High density and high threadcount fabrics will burn the slowest. Best lowtech option: Silk. Best hightech option: a ceramic, preferably glass. (The fiberglass option might make the sails hold out longer than much of the ship).
Even painting the wood offers some degree of fireproofing protection, as does soaking it in water. Although the soaking option has a risk of some timbers exploding if the temperature change is fast enough. (Rather than just squealing like a wet log on the fire)
I hope there's a magical option out there, cause in the super-best case scenario... I see the ship lasting a good 6 hours, then becoming a flaming death-trap.

moritheil

First Post
melkorspawn said:
I hope there's a magical option out there, cause in the super-best case scenario... I see the ship lasting a good 6 hours, then becoming a flaming death-trap.

Oh, I'm an idiot. Isn't there that nice ironwood spell?

srd said:
ironwood is as strong, heavy, and resistant to fire as steel.

Of course, the entire ship is going to be hard to affect . . .

srd said:
Effect: An ironwood object weighing up to 5 lb./level

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Funny you should ask.

In our long-standing campaign that took place in a combo of Freeport and Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, the town was being routinely attacked by Fire Mephits. So the local mages guild came up with a substance they called "The Black", which was a tar-like fire-proofing gel that was spread across all the ships in the harbor.

I couldn't tell you the cost of this stuff (though our DM probably has a good idea), but at least it might be comforting to know it's a concept that was used with some success in a game.

NimrodvanHall

First Post
the elemental plane of fire has the mayor fire trait, meaning anything will get 3d10 points of fire dmg a round! better make shure the ship has at least fire resistance 30/- or even an Ironship will be melted soon eneough.

Jack Simth

First Post
Use Polymorph Any Object, shrink item, or some such spell to make it very small, then put it in the inventory of someone who has sufficient Fire Resistance to be unaffected by the plane's temperment. It's then an Attended Object, and only subject to the flames when it's attender is burned - which, with enough Fire Resistance, is never.

moritheil

First Post
NimrodvanHall said:
the elemental plane of fire has the mayor fire trait, meaning anything will get 3d10 points of fire dmg a round! better make shure the ship has at least fire resistance 30/- or even an Ironship will be melted soon eneough.

Er, energy resistance is assumed to not be overcome by anything. There's no need to denote it like DR.

SidusLupus

First Post
You mention you have Stormwrack.. there's a method in the book itself.

Allow them to make/ buy a living figurehead for their ship. Make it a living figurehead of a red dragon, and then the entire ship is immune to fire. Or alternatively a living figurehead of a gold dragon would have the same effect. It only costs 45k and has additional benefits.

If they have access to a 9th level spell, 45k for the figurehead should be crackers to protect their ship. If not maybe they can steal one from somewhere or something.

Good luck.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads