• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I need your advice

mxyzplk

Explorer
I came to that stage in late D&D 2e times, and my recommendation would be to take the opportunity to branch out to other genres as well. You say you like fantasy games, but since you haven't played anything but D&D, how would you know? Even if you go back to D&D, playing a variety of games with different systems and concepts behind them will improve your enjoyment...

My list of "ten games you have to play before you die" has a lot of the games that really improved me as a player and GM, even though I'm a Pathfinder fiend nowadays.

nedjer

Adventurer
I have just joined the army, so I am taking it as an opportunity to meet new people to game with and to try out new rules systems.

-SoD

which is interesting in relation to which games give more or better tactical awareness and 'gameplay' - draughts, trench warfare, conventional tactics OR chess, David Stirling, asymmetrical warfare?

. . . an example of where science and games could make a real world difference to something like how you train officers.

p.s. Good luck!

Steel_Wind

Legend
There is Rolemaster Classic or Harp. Both offer a fair bit of blood and sinew with crtical hits. Don't bother with RMSS though. Char Gen is just frikking broken with RMSS.

There is the option of adding the Condition Track from Star Wars:SE to either 3.5, Pathfinder or 4Eto add a whole new level of grit, without criticals becoming as unwieldy as they can be in Rolemaster.

Anyone ever try to bolt the Condition Track from Saga Edition on to 3.xx or 4th Ed? This guy has blogged about it and I must admit, I'm tempted to bolt it on to Pathfinder and see how it works.

MortonStromgal

First Post
I would say bite the bullet and give Shadowrun a try. Its different yet familiar and you can always still play D&D and then throw in an ocational Shadowrun when someone can't make the D&D game.

Savage Worlds may be another way to go if your looking for a generic system for heroic style play. I'm one who believes that system matters though and don't mind having multiple rule sets.

Personally for fantasy I like WFRP 2e, Desolation, and Burning Wheel but YMMV

Last edited:

Ariosto

First Post
especially good for running a party through dungeons (good mechanics for traps, gear, monsters, etc.)

That might be a tough one, if you're looking for something more that than is 3.5.

RuneQuest is a "deadly, gritty, more or less as complicated" game you could look into -- specifically the new "RQ II" from Mongoose.

pawsplay

Hero
Warhammer Fantasy fits most of the criteria, but historically has been a bit weak in the gear area and doesn't really do complex skill checks.

Dogs in the Vineyard - You play a group of religious Mormon gunslingers, solving various conflicts between the Faithful. The game focuses on player choices and judgments, with a returning question about how far will you go to have things your way.

It's certainly an intriguing game which plays weirdly every time. But it's not about Mormon gunslingers. Anyone who thinks that it accurately describes the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) of the 19th century, will be sadly disappointed...as was at least one player I knew.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads