• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I never thought I could be convinced to pay 120$ on something without first seeing it

petenik

First Post
I would be much more prone to drop $120 on this if it were a boxed set rather than a giant book with a CD. I'm looking at the recent Wilderlands set as an example -- a bunch of maps a couple of books, though I'd rather Ptolus divided their books in a Player's Guide, DM's Guide, Campaign Guide format. Separate all of the material that can be photocopied (small maps, character sheets, etc). Maybe get Fiery Dragon to do a Ptolus Battlebox and throw that in as well.

I guess what I'm looking for with my $120 is, in addition to an excellent campaign setting, is making that campaign setting as convenient and as easy to use as possible. I'm not sure giving us a CD and saying "Here, print this. On your dime." is doing that.

That, and I just plain like boxed sets :)

Nebulous

Legend
petenik said:
I would be much more prone to drop $120 on this if it were a boxed set rather than a giant book with a CD. I'm looking at the recent Wilderlands set as an example -- a bunch of maps a couple of books, though I'd rather Ptolus divided their books in a Player's Guide, DM's Guide, Campaign Guide format. Separate all of the material that can be photocopied (small maps, character sheets, etc). Maybe get Fiery Dragon to do a Ptolus Battlebox and throw that in as well.

I guess what I'm looking for with my $120 is, in addition to an excellent campaign setting, is making that campaign setting as convenient and as easy to use as possible. I'm not sure giving us a CD and saying "Here, print this. On your dime." is doing that.

That, and I just plain like boxed sets :)

Personally, i think Ptolus looks better than Wilderlands (just what i've seen of free previews from both). Arcana Evolved did have a couple of real clunker art pieces, i hope they can crop those out of Ptolus. But it's not just all looks, it's a core useability and fun-factor. I'm hoping that Monte can pull it all off in one big bundle.

I like boxed sets too though. :)

Odhanan

Adventurer

Actually, one of the main design goals of Ptolus is to be easy to use. Hence the extreme care for the presentation, the hardiness of the book, the many bookmarks included (three bound to the cover, four apart of the book), the organization akin to a travel guide, the many examples and advice included throughout the chapters, the icon use and so on and so forth. Really, it's not a setting built to be only cool to read. It's meant to be used by the DM with maximum efficiency.

The Wilderlands boxed set and Ptolus are two different "beasts" altogether. The WHF boxed set proposes you a large setting with lots of tidbit information about many many areas of the setting. You connect the dots, you build your own Wilderlands from there. Ptolus is sold to you as an "all in one package". You've got a city presented to you, usable for years and years of gaming, with areas and modules detailed so as to use them as they are and run characters from 1st all the way up to 20th level or build your own campaigns in it.

PS: http://www.ptolus.com
That's the best place to start to understand what Ptolus is about, I think.

PPS: because Wilderlands and Ptolus are different doesn't mean one's bad and the other is good. I have the Wilderlands boxed set and it's an amazing product for those of us who like the Judges Guild, old school feel for D&D products.

Last edited:

Dextolen

Community Supporter
The preorder/prepayment plan shows that Monte understands it's a hit to the wallet. Getting the adventure free is a nice touch.

One point of worry though, how's that binding going to hold up? That's one thick book!

petenik

First Post
"PPS: because Wilderlands and Ptolus are different doesn't mean one's bad and the other is good. "

Oh, I didn't mean to compare the two that way. I understand that the Wilderlands box serves a completely different function that what Ptolus is going to offer -- in fact, I can see the two meshing together quite well (ie. dropping the city of Ptolus into the Wilderlands). My only reason for bringing up the Wilderlands was that it is a boxed set, my preferred choice of format for large campaign settings, whereas Ptolus is going to be a large tome (plus CD), a format that I don't think works as well for large campaign settings.

I'm a big fan of Monte Cook's work and I have no doubts that Ptolus will be a fantastic setting; creating the work as a large book format is where my doubts lie.

Jaws

First Post
Dextolen said:
One point of worry though, how's that binding going to hold up? That's one thick book!
Will the binding on a book this big really hold together?

In order to make the binding as durable as possible, we're using a using a process called cambric reinforcement on the first and last signatures of the book. Cambric reinforcement is a process and material similar to medical gauze. Actual gauze is wrapped around the page signatures and is adhered to the case. Normally in casemaking, the binder only wraps craft paper partially around the signatures. This reinforcement is a basic requirement in the library industry, and our printer tells us it's part of the National School Textbook Association's parameters for text book binding. It will make Ptolus' binding more durable and able to withstand more abuse.

The above is from the Ptolus FAQ: http://www.ptolus.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?mpress_Ptolus_FAQ

Peace and smiles :)

j.

Arnwyn

First Post
comareddin said:
So, what are your thoughts on the product?
I'm looking forward to it.

This is the type of product I'm interested in nowadays. While I have no use for "campaign settings" per se, I very much have a use for setting material that can be easily inserted into my long running campaign world (Forgotten Realms).

Ptolus is the type of product that fits the bill, and is the type of product I buy nowadays (along with modules and FR books).

shaylon

First Post
I preordered because I know it is something I want to have. I have the money for these types of things although I do admit that it is expensive. That said I think it will be worth it. Monte has made some great things and I trust this will not let me down. Nothing else he has done has.

I look forward to this arriving in the mail in 10 months or so. I might even start a game late next year with Ptolus as the setting.

-Shay

Digital M@

Explorer
I am still not sure on the pre-order, but this book hits me right in the heart of the game. I have not bought a single gaming book in two years, yet it is only in the last month that life forced me to tkae a break from the game. The reason I have bought no games is I don't need one more uber feat or PrC and that is all I see. I have not been buying Campaign settings, although I amit, I love reading them, because I do not have time to flesh them out.

I am looking for a quality book that spells out enough detail that there is a solid foundation and I can expand and change as I need. From what I have read, there is a ton of great info in this book which will allow me to pick it up and run or even dream about a great game. This will probably be the only book I buy in the next year, and with a new baby, I will not be spending much on miniatures and paint either, so my spending on the hobby as a whole will continue to shrink. IMO, it is this market that is still untapped and WLD showed many people that there are still new nitches to be explored in the industry. Good Luck Monte and crew, I hope this is a big one for you.

Odhanan

Adventurer
I am looking for a quality book that spells out enough detail that there is a solid foundation and I can expand and change as I need. From what I have read, there is a ton of great info in this book which will allow me to pick it up and run or even dream about a great game.

I think Ptolus is for you, definitely.

Ptolus has a strong D&D taste in the sense that's a bit like Star Wars is Star Wars: all the stuff that makes D&D "D&D" is seen as normal in Ptolus. Paladins are good or they fall. You see adventurers walking down the street with a magical sword in sheath. Dungeons are under the city, and there's even a guild who's goal is to favor the exploration of dungeons by adventurers (the Delver's Guild). And so on.

If you want to get a good overview of Ptolus, the most useful document to do so I think is the campaign diary Monte wrote for his two groups roaming the streets of Ptolus some time ago, the Black Lantern and the Runewardens. Here's the link to the page where you can find the document.

That's worth a read, really, if only for inspiration for your own campaign(s). And of course, there's the new, follow-up campaign diary written by Sue Cook. It's been starting a few weeks ago. The tone's different and very good so far.

Remove ads