• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I ran through a prismatic sphere!

Wonko the Sane said:
Unrelated, but funny prismatic wall story nonetheless (or How To Get Rid of an Annoying Player in Five Easy Steps :p).

1. PC wizard casts PW across a subterranean passage, "unintentionally" sealing the PC rogue on the other side with a 19th level drow wizard and 18th level drow weapon master. Said PC party to the wizard: "Dismiss that, right now!" Wizard: "No." PC druid shapechanges into an earth elemental, intending to go underneath and get rogue.

2. Drow wizard casts PW tight beside and parallel to the PC's PW. :]

3. Next round, PC druid pops through the ground and turns into a really big gold dragon; rest of PC party pops up, having passwalled underneath both PWs; drow duo freaks out and runs away.

4. PC wizard steps through what he thought was only his own PW; fails 6/7 saves; fine cloud of ash sifts through and gets all over PC fighter's cloak. Much laughter and little regret ensue.

5. PC wizard player quits and never comes back.

Did the PC Wizard fail his Spellcraft check to see what the drow Wizard was casting or did he just forget that there were 2 walls there?

Olaf the Stout

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Olaf the Stout said:
Did the PC Wizard fail his Spellcraft check to see what the drow Wizard was casting...

His Spellcraft check to see what the drow Wizard was casting on the other side of the vertical, opaque wall, you mean?

-Hyp.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Olaf the Stout said:
Did the PC Wizard fail his Spellcraft check to see what the drow Wizard was casting or did he just forget that there were 2 walls there?
Or he couldn't hear the spell being cast. What I don't understand is why 3 passwalls were needed instead of some other option (presumably easier). Surely dismissing the PW would be easier than burning 3 5th-level spells? Did he even have that many or was some hand-waving done? Also, it seems like Wonko's group was happy enough to eliminate the wizard player.

To the OP, no, definitely not legal on multiple accounts (though I'm not sure what those vestiges mean). It seems like you were gifted some major leniency with the rules, not unlike just being told "don't bother to roll all these saving throws, let's just assume you make them." I wouldn't find that fun either.

Goobermunch

Explorer
Vestiges are powerful extraplanar beings.

Binders can gain powers from them that last for a day. Thus, when he refers to immunities from vestiges, he's talking about the abilities he gets from his class.

--G

Wonko the Sane

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
Or he couldn't hear the spell being cast.

He did...he just blew the Spellcraft check (at DC +5 due to being on the wrong side of the wall)

Infiniti2000 said:
What I don't understand is why 3 passwalls were needed instead of some other option (presumably easier). Surely dismissing the PW would be easier than burning 3 5th-level spells? Did he even have that many or was some hand-waving done?

Passwall was only cast once by the bard, from a scroll with Use Magic Device. It makes a big enough "pit" that you can jump down on one side, walk under the wall, and come up on the other side.

Infiniti2000 said:
Also, it seems like Wonko's group was happy enough to eliminate the wizard player.

Was it that obvious? :]

Infiniti2000

First Post
Wonko the Sane said:
Passwall was only cast once by the bard, from a scroll with Use Magic Device. It makes a big enough "pit" that you can jump down on one side, walk under the wall, and come up on the other side.
That's just not possible per the spell description. It doesn't make a pit or anything resembling a pit. It can only be cast in walls. Even should you ignore the point about walls and allow it straight down in a floor then it still doesn't create a sideways passage underneath a wall.

Xath

Moder-gator
akbearfoot said:
By the time my wizard could cast prismatic wall, his spellcraft bonus was in the 30s.

Sucks for him if he didn't max his skill.

I was just thinking that.

As for the OP, as long as everyone in the group had fun, it doesn't really matter. But I wouldn't allow it rules-wise.

Vahktang

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
That's just not possible per the spell description. It doesn't make a pit or anything resembling a pit. It can only be cast in walls. Even should you ignore the point about walls and allow it straight down in a floor then it still doesn't create a sideways passage underneath a wall.
Yeah, like he said.
You could passwall beneath an opponent, sending them to the dungeon level below, but it would require a touch attack on the floor beneath her (which would probably cause an AoO) and, though it says no save, I would allow a reflex save to jump out of the way.
Could be fun, especially if you dispel it the next round.

Remove ads