• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E I really don't like the new 4E PHB cover

Quartz

Hero
Sorry, but the dragonborn is a right put-off for me. Not only do I not like the art, but I can see that it's going to be a real put-off for new gamers and - in particular - their parents. Give them something that will not so much inspire but validate their imaginations. Give them something that says, yes, you too can be King Arthur, or Aragorn, or whoever. Give them a reason to buy. Not a monster.

wedgeski

Adventurer
D&D *has* to assert its own identity over other iconic fantasy. It's essential to keep the brand alive. Can you imagine the noise this board would be making if the cover had a blonde elven ranger sliding down a dragon's tail while shooting arrows in its face?

I don't particularly like or dislike the cover. It's okay. No PHB cover has ever particularly inspired me to be honest... as opposed to the interior art, which almost always does. (And judging by the preview art in R&C and W&M, will do so again.)

Frostmarrow

First Post
I agree. I'm not overly excited about the dragonborn but I think dragonborn can find it's niche - if it is dicovered in the game rather than being made the standard bearer of Dungeons & Dragons.

When I started out role-playing the cover on the book was the last thing I cared about, though. The copy (text) was important. It was agonizingly insufficient yet so irresistably tempting.

Lucius Drake

First Post
I liked the previous one much less than this one and I do feel it is probably beneficial to showcase the dragonborn on the cover of the PHB as it will help to get people used to their look and 'feel' in the D&D fantasy experience.

vagabundo

Adventurer
I like it. Nice and actiony and we have had bucketloads of art for the other races, they should give some cover space to the new...

Klaus

First Post
Quartz said:
Sorry, but the dragonborn is a right put-off for me. Not only do I not like the art, but I can see that it's going to be a real put-off for new gamers and - in particular - their parents. Give them something that will not so much inspire but validate their imaginations. Give them something that says, yes, you too can be King Arthur, or Aragorn, or whoever. Give them a reason to buy. Not a monster.
You're not alone.

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=220011

Remove ads