• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I still want D&D and Beyond, but...

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
"I need to support the employees of large corporation, many of whom are contractors, even though they get a very small fraction of what I'm paying!" is however, not, I would suggest, a legitimate reason. It's really crap argument that makes no sense, and particularly fails completely in this situation, where WotC are destroying livelihoods of creatives. It just doesn't work.
I would agree for the most part with this, because of your use of the word "need". I think very few people actual feel a "need" to support WotC. Rather, they just like the stuff WotC makes and doesn't care what the company ultimately does. There's not a "need", there's just regular action.

But I do not believe my posts ever suggested we "needed" to support Wizards of the Coast as a corporation. That that HAD to happen. Rather... it was that if a person liked some of the stuff WotC put out... there were plenty of people in the corporation that actually made and created it that you could feel like you supported even if others in the corporation pissed you off.

dave2008

Legend
I will continue to play D&D5E,
I will still make homebrew for my group(s).

I may use material from 1D&D or 6E.

If OGL goes forward similar from the leaks, I will not give them one cent ever again.
That is probably true for me too, but it just doesn't feel like it at the moment.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I've been really bummed the last week or so with the OGL news. I simply can't get myself up to really do anything D&D / RPG related. I was briefly excited about changing to a new platform, but that soon faded. I was checking DnD Beyond (DDB) this morning to see if there was any OGL news and I realized something. I want to play D&D, not another game, and I want to use DDB. There is a lot of interesting content on DDB (a lot of it free) that reminds of Dragon/Dungeon magazine. I want to continue with my 5e homebrew game, it is just about perfect for my group.

I know technically I can continue playing, but this whole OGL debacle has just drained the RPG will out of me. I guess I feel betrayed? I don't know. Even the calls to create a new open system or rally behind another system just feel wrong and a bit like a betrayal as well. I like D&D and I like sharing it with others. I like the shared community. These forums are, in fact, the only social media I really engage in. I like hearing what @Micah Sweet , @Parmandur, @Maxperson , @TheSword, @Ruin Explorer, @Stalker0, @Matrix Sorcica, and many, many others have to say. I doubt I get that if I leave D&D. I am just finding it very hard to have the desire to play or engage in D&D right now.

For me, the best, and possible the only solution, is a new OGL 1.0(b) that adds that is irrevocable and next to nothing else. I don't even think I want a siloed OGL1.1 anymore (which I previously thought would be fine). Otherwise I just might leave the hobby all together.
Thomas Aquinas recommended drinking a glass of wine and taking a warm bath when spirits are down. Wisdom of the ancients
Take a breather, read a good novel or something. This too shall pass.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I'm with the OP a bit

The defeatest and uninspiring hatred in screeds like "let D&D die" or "D&D is bad for RPGs" etc from supposed fans is harmful to my ability to create for my players.

There's a toxicity in the discussions here, Twitter, Mastodon, YouTube, etc that crushed my interest in doing #Dungeon23 and running my two games this week.

There's no product I was planning on buying this week or probably this month. But there were games I was playing, in a ten year campaign world, that many here have sucked the energy out of. Those games aren't impacted by the OGL change. It's just me and ten friends rolling dice and telling stories.

I'm inspired by some of the actions by various producers, but at the same time I'm disappointed in those cheering for the downfall of a game that gave me hope during hard times and developed my ability to create, to write.

The way we exist online impacts others.

Right now that impact is making me less excited to welcome my players to the table tonight.

@dave2008
I can see where you're coming from. But this hobby to me is just too great to leave. I spend way too many hours thinking about and planning rpgs, especially considering I'm living the adult life of no spare time, and so are my friends I've been gaming with for 35+ years. We get to play less than once every two months, I'd guess. But I love talking and reading about rpgs and their design. You know that :)
I always come back. And I hope you will too.

I'd say, take a break and when the urge comes back (it will), take a look at the situation and go play a game that grabs you. A game can be D&D in spirit without being D&D - and without being a fantasy heartbreaker.

Myself, I was already tiering of 5e, we've been playing it since 2014, and are only on our second campaign started in 2016 - and we're only 11th level (sign). So this campaign will go on, too much invested, but I'm itching to play Savage Worlds Pathfinder. It hits so many right buttons for me (and some wrong, but that's fixable). Heck, don't take a break, take a look at SWPF now! :)

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Edit: and I too really appreciate the inclusion on your list 🤗
MS

Last edited:

TheSword

Legend
I've been really bummed the last week or so with the OGL news. I simply can't get myself up to really do anything D&D / RPG related. I was briefly excited about changing to a new platform, but that soon faded. I was checking DnD Beyond (DDB) this morning to see if there was any OGL news and I realized something. I want to play D&D, not another game, and I want to use DDB. There is a lot of interesting content on DDB (a lot of it free) that reminds of Dragon/Dungeon magazine. I want to continue with my 5e homebrew game, it is just about perfect for my group.

I know technically I can continue playing, but this whole OGL debacle has just drained the RPG will out of me. I guess I feel betrayed? I don't know. Even the calls to create a new open system or rally behind another system just feel wrong and a bit like a betrayal as well. I like D&D and I like sharing it with others. I like the shared community. These forums are, in fact, the only social media I really engage in. I like hearing what @Micah Sweet , @Parmandur, @Maxperson , @TheSword, @Ruin Explorer, @Stalker0, @Matrix Sorcica, and many, many others have to say. I doubt I get that if I leave D&D. I am just finding it very hard to have the desire to play or engage in D&D right now.

For me, the best, and possible the only solution, is a new OGL 1.0(b) that adds that is irrevocable and next to nothing else. I don't even think I want a siloed OGL1.1 anymore (which I previously thought would be fine). Otherwise I just might leave the hobby all together.
The realist in me says you can’t really change the macro decisions like these that happen in the world. They are profound strategic changes that are being driven by far more than just fan goodwill or lack of. That can be depressing and make a person feel like their view doesn’t matter.

What you can control though, is how you react to things. You have control over what you buy or not, what you read or not, what you say or not, who you spend time or not… and at the end of the day those are the only things that really matter.

D&D is good fun for the most part. It’s not going to stop being fun after OGL is settled. The reason I know this, is that it was good fun long before the OGL came along.

It seems to me that what you’re feeling is a lack of inspiration and up to now a lot of that inspiration has been coming from 3pp, and interacting with people who write and are passionate about that stuff. I totally get that. Im on the record as saying I think the last two years of WoTC products have been not to my taste at all.

My last fews years game time has consisted of Odyssey of the Dragon Lords, Scarlet Citadel, Cubicle 7’s Adventures in Middle Earth, Paizo’s Age of Worms, a Bloodborne spin off, Kingmaker, and planning a homebrew Dark Sun campaign cobbled from Pathifnder, @Steampunkette & @toucanbuzz ’s stuff. The only 5e WoTC stuff I played in the last two years was the excellent Ghosts of Saltmarsh campaign DMd by @GuyBoy and Dungeon of the Mad Mage DM’d by our friend Matt. A very short foray into Rime of the Frostmaiden (that imploded) and Dragon heist.

[Edit: for anyone who’s wondering, that list is why I take a contrary view on the topic to some of the people around here. I run a business and understand why for WOtC that situation isn’t tenable]

… oh and of course WFRP 4e which I try to shoehorn into every thread that I can but doesn’t count because it’s not a D&D derivative (or rather it is but back from the day when TSR would slap a C&D on you if you breathed the word IP so it’s different enough not to matter!

The fact is, good ideas will still be around and either way the big players aren’t going to just disappear - their ideas are still there and their passion. They will still be generating new stuff it’s just might not be 5e. The silver lining is that 5e is the easiest game I’ve ever seen to convert stuff to. So much so that I’m still buying pathfinder stuff 5 years after I stopped playing.

My advice is not to give up, don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater. Instead scale back or switch direction and do something different. I feel personally we’re still in a golden age of D&D resources with millions more playing D&D than ever before, despite the doomsaying. Keep looking until you find inspiration and most of all enjoy the experience. Pick up where you left off that Rappan Athauk campaign 10 years ago with new characters, or do a conversion of Kingmaker. Or just play Baldurs Gate I and II again on tablet to remind yourself what a great story could be.

On separate note thank you for including me in your list. I was pretty touched that someone actually wanted to know what I had to say. I sometimes feel like the 10th man around here but It’s lovely to hear that someone was interested.

Lastly, be kinder to yourself matey!

Last edited:

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Thomas Aquinas recommended drinking a glass of wine and taking a warm bath when spirits are down. Wisdom of the ancients
Take a breather, read a good novel or something. This too shall pass.
I am down with that if we can substitute cold beer for wine and gears of war matches for the warm bath.

I like the interaction of my two choices even more than one of them alone!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

I understand where you are coming from Dave. When the leak first happened, I kinda laughed it off because the language used was written too poorly for a legal document. Later as more leaks happened and we started seeing more of what was being said, I became more and more frustrated with WotC over this. I haven't opened a D&D book since last Thursday.

While I am not quite at the point you are at, I have already decided that WotC won't see another dollar from me if anything resembling the OGL 1.1 that we have been hearing about is released as the final form. What I will likely do if that happens is just go back to 3e and run that. I have more good stuff from that edition to run great games for the rest of my life. I just don't NEED WotC and new versions of the game.

My advice to you is that what are are feeling will almost surely pass. At least to the extent that you can't muster the drive to play the game if OGL 1.1 happens. It would be a real shame for the hobby(and this site if you leave it as well) to lose you. D&D is greater than WotC. It's even greater than Gygax at this point.

If and when you can, embrace that greater nature and run with it. I and the other you named, as well as those you didn't name but engage with you here will be around to support you. At least I will! I can't really speak for the others, but having engaged with them for a long time I believe that they will. :)

Remove ads