I survived my thesis defense! w00t!

fuindordm

Adventurer
Congrats! I remember my own like it was yesterday, and boy was it an ordeal. At one point I got so nervous (after one of my committee had spent fifteen minutes arguing over my choice of words for the TITLE, of all things), that I drew on the wall instead of on the projector transparency.

But I made it through anyway. Cheers! What is your thesis?

Ben

Shemeska

Adventurer
fuindordm said:
Congrats! I remember my own like it was yesterday, and boy was it an ordeal. At one point I got so nervous (after one of my committee had spent fifteen minutes arguing over my choice of words for the TITLE, of all things), that I drew on the wall instead of on the projector transparency.

Yikes! They haranged you over the choice of wording on the -title- ? My committee members were tame by comparison then. *chuckle* They cracked a few jokes even, once they had deliberated and decided to approve me, though they spent a good hour asking me questions, picking at some of the weak points of the work, and making me approach the work from a few different angles than from where I did most of the work. Ie 'how would approach this strictly as a biochemist, rather than a molecular biologist'. Honestly I was so nervous on some level that I really don't recall much of what I said during the public portion of the defense, I wasn't even looking at anything in particular as I went through the slides and gave the presentation. It all went well though :)

But I made it through anyway. Cheers! What is your thesis?

"Studies of Epstein-Barr BZLF1 Protein Binding to Human Mitotic Chromosomes."

buzzard

First Post
Congratulations. Nothing like that feeling of completion.

I remember my defense as being reasonably non painful. Of course there was some serious bloodletting at the Overview, so my act was pretty well together by the end.

buzzard

fuindordm

Adventurer
Shemeska said:
Yikes! They haranged you over the choice of wording on the -title- ? My committee members were tame by comparison then. *chuckle* They cracked a few jokes even, once they had deliberated and decided to approve me, though they spent a good hour asking me questions, picking at some of the weak points of the work, and making me approach the work from a few different angles than from where I did most of the work. Ie 'how would approach this strictly as a biochemist, rather than a molecular biologist'. Honestly I was so nervous on some level that I really don't recall much of what I said during the public portion of the defense, I wasn't even looking at anything in particular as I went through the slides and gave the presentation. It all went well though :)

Well, in all fairness it was just one member of the committee nitpicking. And my advisor was doing his best to defend me from the assault. :)

But it makes for a good egg-in-my-face story.

The word in question was 'homology', which we were using to mean 'similarities, evidence of underlying uniformity of structure'. The guy was making a fuss because it's also recognized as a mathematical term that was unrelated to the research. We looked it up in the dictionary afterwards and found no problems with our usage.

Jerk. :)

Ben

Belen

Adventurer
Shemeska said:
I've been a bundle of nerves for the past three weeks over this, but my thesis defense went without a hitch today. The open talk to the department went great and I managed all of the specific questions and addressed any issues with the research posed by my committee.

shemmychem.gif

Mwhahaha! I'm incredibly happy and relieved at the moment.

*GLEE!*

And yes, this means regular storyhour updates after this week again.

Great news! So when do you finish that pesky degree?

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Congratulations! :D
Shemeska said:
"Studies of Epstein-Barr BZLF1 Protein Binding to Human Mitotic Chromosomes."
That sounds painful in a kind of interesting way.

Shemeska

Adventurer
BelenUmeria said:
Great news! So when do you finish that pesky degree?

Graduation is on Dec 15th. At this point I only have to get a copy of the thesis to the grad school this next week and everything is finished. :)

Henry

Autoexreginated
Shemeska said:
Graduation is on Dec 15th. At this point I only have to get a copy of the thesis to the grad school this next week and everything is finished. :)

Sweet! This is Master's Thesis, right? Is "Dr. Shemeska" planned, or are you thinking ahead that far right now?

Remove ads