Spelljammer I think Spelljammer will be more like Ravenloft then Strixhaven

I think Spelljammer will be more like Ravenloft then Strixhaven.

Here is why, they can break the setting up into Crystal Spheres the way Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft did with Domains, and that gives them a lot of room to explore very different settings.

Last year George, who did one of the major Domains for Ravenloft, said he was doing another South Asian thing for, D&D for WotC. I thought it was for FR as most other D&D settings don't have a fantasy India or Cambodia.

But it occurs to me what if it was for Spelljammer,, like what if they gave George his own Crystal Sphere to develop?

I mean the book could be broken up into Crystal Spheres like Ravenloft was for Domains. So there could be a Realmspace, Krynnspace, Greyspace, but also brand new Spheres exploring different themes, like a Fantasy India Spelljamming Crystal Sphere, or a fantasy Africa Crystal Sphere.

I don't think a huge part of it will be an adventure, unlike Strixhaven, only a minor part like VRGtR.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Here is why, they can break the setting up into Crystal Spheres the way Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft did with Domains, and that gives them a lot of room to explore very different settings.

Last year George, who did one of the major Domains for Ravenloft, said he was doing another South Asian thing for, D&D for WotC. I thought it was for FR as most other D&D settings don't have a fantasy India or Cambodia.

But it occurs to me what if it was for Spelljammer,, like what if they gave George his own Crystal Sphere to develop?

I mean the book could be broken up into Crystal Spheres like Ravenloft was for Domains. So there could be a Realmspace, Krynnspace, Greyspace, but also brand new Spheres exploring different themes, like a Fantasy India Spelljamming Crystal Sphere, or a fantasy Africa Crystal Sphere.

I don't think a huge part of it will be an adventure, unlike Strixhaven, only a minor part like VRGtR.
I tend to agree, and think that the idea that they may have contractors like George create some Strange New Worlds to explore is awesome. A procedural system for generating worlds to explore would be awesome, ala Traveller.

However, just about the only thing we know regarding the classic settings is that they have a format that we haven't seen before...so there will be soem surprises.

Lyxen

Great Old One
I think we may rather get a kind of mish-mash between spelljammer and planescape, as shown in BG3 where instead of flying through space and Phlogiston, the nautiloid flies through skies and the planes. Although my grognard genes rebel at this, since I liked the fact that there were even more dimension and possibilities by keeping them separate, as we won't have both, I would settle for something simpler and easier to understand for people who have trouble envisioning the whole complexity (and sometimes inconsistency) of old product lines.

Lyxen

Great Old One
I imagine Planescape but adding elements from Spelljammer, like races and monsters, and spelljamming helms in the Astral Sea.

That's probably the way it's going to go, I agree. Honestly, the Astral sea of 4e was not a bad concept in itself, it's just that it broke the beauty of the Great Wheel and the absolute perfection of Planescape, best setting ever IMHO. For me, the flaw was more in Spelljammer, the immensity of space is actually a bit boring, and some people don't like the principles of crystal spheres and even less of the phlogiston.

I doubt the Spelljammer with detail any worlds apart from a hub (Rock of Bral presumably). Tables for proc-gen are more likely, but the main thrust will be to persuade people that they need to buy as many WotC setting books as possible so they have somewhere to Spelljam between.

I doubt it will include more than a starter adventure.

I also think a direct Planescape crossover looks less likely, although it might include something like a "Planar Jump Drive" as optional gear for ships.

I doubt the Spelljammer with detail any worlds apart from a hub (Rock of Bral presumably). Tables for proc-gen are more likely, but the main thrust will be to persuade people that they need to buy as many WotC setting books as possible so they have somewhere to Spelljam between.

I doubt it will include more than a starter adventure.

I also think a direct Planescape crossover looks less likely, although it might include something like a "Planar Jump Drive" as optional gear for ships.

Look at how they designed Ravenloft, they seem to like that style.

The metaplot of Ravenloft has been reseted, and that is a double-edged sword. With the DMGuild fandom can add a lot of ideas, and we will keep the best ones. It is more sandbox, more flexibility, and with a little touch of ambiguity if some day they want to recover the old metaplot to be continued, or rewritten.

A lot of things from Spelljammer, and from "d20 Future" (Star*Drive and Star Frontiers) can return, but I am afair we will see no word about the crystal spheres. The "wildspace" will be replaced with the Astral Sea.

Spelljammer could be redesigned to allow potential crossovers with sci-fi franchises. I know it sounds like a stupid idea but crazier has been the comic "Transformers+My Little Pony".

* We could see some module about crashed alien spaceship. (How would be possible within the crystal spheres).

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast

Now Spelljammer is a setting where the lore strongly supports that idea. If they go that way I'll be on board.

Remove ads